Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

Tag Team Eternity

Quasar has let me know that he has completely redesigned the Team Eternity site, and boy does it look a lot better than before. Strangely, there are no more references to the actual Eternity TC. Also, StroggOnMeth, more affectionately known as SoM, the second person in the Eternity duo, has redesigned his site, along with the addition of the Eternity page there.

I still haven't "canceled" the TC, but I got tired of the constant questions about if/when it would come out, and with n00bs confusing the engine with the TC (ie downloading it and then emailing me "wHeRe ArE aLL tEh MaPPs??").

Maybe someday when the engine is largely complete and there aren't 500 other big-time projects to compete with, I'll reactivate the project. Who knows?

It strikes me that some people have perhaps gone a little mad when vapourware TCs start being called 'products'... if it is a product then we should have deadlines, and at this rate, staff layoffs too.

Jon:

I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify what you're talking about, since nobody's yet referred to any TCs here as products. Thanks!

I don't seem him refering to the engine anywhere in that post, clearly he's talking about the TC (and he didn't even specify eternity, it was in general). bit on the offensive today eh?

Jon said:

It strikes me that some people have perhaps gone a little mad when vapourware TCs start being called 'products'... if it is a product then we should have deadlines, and at this rate, staff layoffs too.

The dictionary definition of word 'product' mentions none of these things... or indeed anything vaguely commercial:

Product, n. Anything that is produced, whether as the result of generation, growth, labor, or thought, or by the operation of involuntary causes; as, the products of the season, or of the farm; the products of manufactures; the products of the brain.

Hirogen2 said:

What will the Eternity TC be like? Something like those 4-year-megaprojects like Millenium?

I believe Millennium was actually started 6 years ago. Of course some ongoing projects, such as Paradox and Mordeth, are both even older than that :)

Eternity TC started in 1997 as a single episode modification for DOOM that was going to have a lot of new resources, including DeHackEd-modified enemies. Later I expanded the storyline significantly and decided to make it a 30-map DOOM II modification. When the DOOM source release occurred (and after being impressed by Lee Killough's skills), I decided I should learn C and make an engine modification for my TC.

Now, meanwhile, the TC started making less and less progress. We never had a stable sprite artist once. Everyone who joined to do the new sprites either never did anything, or quit after doing only a tiny bit. Then, most of the mappers quit one by one until now; since Ebola left, there are no mappers in Team Eternity.

Despite cutting the number of new enemies down drastically, and cutting the target number of maps down to 20, the project still hasn't progressed. I'm perfectly happy developing the engine for its own purposes and I have no extra time to spend on the TC (and I'm not particularly fantastic at either maps or sprites, though I have a bit of skill with both). So, that's why Eternity TC is indefinitely suspended. If 10 to 15 people magically came out of nowhere and earnestly wanted to finish it, I would certainly help them. But let's be realistic -- that's not gonna happen :P

Oh well, at least you managed to get a pet dwarf out of it.

Cyb said:

I don't seem him refering to the engine anywhere in that post, clearly he's talking about the TC (and he didn't even specify eternity, it was in general). bit on the offensive today eh?

Well, Quasar refers to the engine and the launcher as products on the eternity page, so I was referring to the engine really.

My post was very trolly, I apologise. What I should have said was: the eternity page, the link to your CV, referring to the engine as a product, sounds that much more removed from a personal hobby, which is what eternity should be - imho.

Out of curiosity, what license are the eternity releases under?

Jon said:

Well, Quasar refers to the engine and the launcher as products on the eternity page, so I was referring to the engine really.

My post was very trolly, I apologise. What I should have said was: the eternity page, the link to your CV, referring to the engine as a product, sounds that much more removed from a personal hobby, which is what eternity should be - imho.

Out of curiosity, what license are the eternity releases under?

Jon:

It's ok. I was mad at first because I thought you were getting on my case like some other people like to do. But, that aside, there are reasons why I want my page to look professional.

As you can tell, I intend to post my resume there, and I hope that I can legitimize the stuff that goes with Eternity as part of the portfolio I need to build to get into game programming as a job, as well as legitimizing the time I spend programming it as actual experience -- because it is. I've dealt with more or less every issue of maintenance programming, worked together with other people, etc.

Eternity is just my hobby, but I'm pretty serious about all my hobbies and this one happens to use the same programming skills that could land me a job eventually, hopefully before my student loans bankrupt me :(

I release all my DOOM-related stuff under the GPL.

The reason I abandoned the TC was because Quas didn't seem to be the least intrested in it anymore.

Ebola:

Oh wow, I thought you totally left! I wasn't putting any blame on you anyways, you were just the last mapper we had so I noted that your absence means there aren't any on the project currently.

If you want to do anything with your map you are welcome to do so. You could release it on its own, or finish it and submit it to me and I would keep it safe, or if you're not mapping any more, that's fine. I just don't want you to feel like your effort was unappreciated. Your map was lookin' pretty cool.

I miss the old Eternity site. It was dark, gothy, dreary. Just like it should be. It's Doom, for frelling sakes. :)

Quas: well I'm not mapping for Doom anymore. I'm just checking out DW once in a while to see what's up.. Some things here still intrests me, Like the progress of Eternity and Legacy, and RTC 3057, etc. I might get a breakdown sometime in the future and finish the map if I still have it around (not likely though), had 2 HD wipeouts the last year.. (damn) last time was caused by the HD not functioning anymore... (expensive)

One map that won't be finished is my sequel to Phobia, I still have a copy of it. although not the last version as it also was lost in the first whipe. But an almost as recent.. anyway, I'm thinking of releasing it and it's resources to the community.. So someone can do whatever they like with it.. as it's so far from finished. :(

Also I was working on a RTCW addon with Kurt and SoM and some others, but I went awol a little while since my HD got burnt, and 2 days before I got back kurt went awol himself.. Haven't been able to reach him.. So if anyone is in contact with him or know how to reach him.. Please tell him that I'm looking for his ass. ;)

OMFG EBOLA!

* SoM jumps on ebola and beats his ass to the floor.

* SoM nails Ebola's ass to the floor

Now try and go awol again! :P

um. _could_ I or _would_ I?
I have no idea how to get in touch with him... He's teh mysterious :\ I can try though...

Hey, what do you think of teh new page design?

kristus said:

would could whatever.. cant you phone him or something?

Um, do you have his phone number (if you do please don't post it here of course)...

Sign in to follow this