Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XDelusion

Enjay, this one is for you... or those who know to.

Well I've been on an Enjay kick as I suppose you can tell from the E-mail, and am VERY curious how you pulled a couple things off.

1st off in your Marine Assault, you have the NPC's running about doing nothing rather than trying to attack the player with all the rest of the enemies....

... how are they controlled? Is this something ZDOOM specific that you used, or is there another script free way of pulling this off? I've done something like this with Fraggle Script in Legacy, but it was not quite the same. :(

2nd Your Mech from Starwars that you have on your page. U used some Linux model viewer to view and take screen grabs of the Mech. Since I am in Winblows I have to use something else of course, and so far none of the viewers I have used have suited me very well as I don't know how to get the skins to load up. I of course am trying to cover jedi Knight 2 (and later 3) but would LOVE to know where to find the skins, can you point me in the right direction, maybe suggest a couple good programs to use ect.

Thankx a lot, you're a real inspiration!

well i think i can answer the scientists...i believe they are scripted marines(zdoom) without a weapon assigned.

I always thought they were just enemies with no attack frame. By the way, where are they from? Blake Stone?

I think they are from Blakestone.

As for the enemies with no attack frame...

..that will not do, these guys don't try to hunt you down, they just walk about at random like they are minding there own business.

And yes anyone can answer this, that's why I called the title To Ejay or Anyone Who Knows. :)

Thankx, I'll have a look. Long time no see DOOM type person! So any chance you and Phoebus are ever gonna let me back into NewDOOM? I promise to be on my best behavior! I miss you guys, it drives me to tears some nights.

Seriously though, tell Phoebus I said thankx for posting my news item.

Not too shabby, thankx again...

...but I'm looking for a Model Viewer, this only seems to be a file package explorer with "some" support for included files.

EDIT

Ok found something I believe I was suggested to use once before but could never get to load.

Anyhow what I got is this:

http://md3view.fragland.net/index.html

It has built in PK3 explorer and all that jazz. So now I search for a md3 model to view, open it and nothing. No wire frame or any of that, just options to apply things to the model or what ever. If I try to apply the texture, i still see nothing. I am LOST.

As fort he player models they are GLA instead of MD3?

What the heck is that?

XDelusion said:

1st off in your Marine Assault, you have the NPC's running about doing nothing rather than trying to attack the player with all the rest of the enemies....

... how are they controlled? Is this something ZDOOM specific that you used, or is there another script free way of pulling this off? I've done something like this with Fraggle Script in Legacy, but it was not quite the same. :(

I'm guessing the scientists just have a negative movement speed and no attack frames. But you can script paths for monsters so there might have been some of that.

I haven't looked, but:

A) The scientists are either monsters with no attack frames or scripted marines.
B) Either they have a negative speed or they have more important things to do (they may have a tid they're supposed to head toward, I remember backtracking to the start and seeing a lot of scientists there, although that could be because of negative speed as well).

Basically what everyone else said...

I don't know ZDOOM scripts at all (though I wish Legacy had some of them, they look simple), but here is the working behind the scientists:

//Scientist
$random scientist/sight { scientist/sight1 scientist/sight2 scientist/sight3 scientist/sight4 scientist/sight5 scientist/sight6 scientist/sight7 scientist/sight8 scientist/sight9 scientist/sighta }
scientist/sight1 DSSCSIT1
scientist/sight2 DSSCSIT2
scientist/sight3 DSSCSIT3
scientist/sight4 DSSCSIT4
scientist/sight5 DSSCSIT5
scientist/sight6 DSSCSIT6
scientist/sight7 DSSCSIT7
scientist/sight8 DSSCSIT8
scientist/sight9 DSSCSIT9
scientist/sighta DSSCSITA

$random scientist/death { scientist/death1 scientist/death2 scientist/death3 scientist/death4 scientist/death5 scientist/death6 scientist/death7 scientist/death8 }
scientist/death1 DSSCDTH1
scientist/death2 DSSCDTH2
scientist/death3 DSSCDTH3
scientist/death4 DSSCDTH4
scientist/death5 DSSCDTH5
scientist/death6 DSSCDTH6
scientist/death7 DSSCDTH7
scientist/death8 DSSCDTH8

So anyhow what is this negative speed things you guys talk about, is it a DeHackED trick? I.E. Speed = -80?

Uh, the stuff you posted is simply to do with the scientists' sounds ;)

And yes, negative is speed is when you use DeHackEd to assign something a speed below zero.

XDelusion said:

Thankx, I'll have a look. Long time no see DOOM type person! So any chance you and Phoebus are ever gonna let me back into NewDOOM? I promise to be on my best behavior! I miss you guys, it drives me to tears some nights.

Seriously though, tell Phoebus I said thankx for posting my news item.

I thought you were going by anouther nick over yonder. All I can do is ask, but you should be able to get back aboard as the bans were lifted weeks back. Egh anyways, any other questions regarding the subject, use a PM or somethin please.:p

Luck with the project. ;)

Yeah that's just sounds. Interesting that they have so many sounds though. ZooM only uses two random sound things (because it's hard to come across ONE sound) but those scientists have a lot. For realism I guess. =)

If you meant the enemies moving about before they actually see you, well that's just standard path nodes for you, but that's a ZDoom thing so you probably wouldn't like it, BUT it can be done without scripting...

cyber-menace said:

If you meant the enemies moving about before they actually see you, well that's just standard path nodes for you, but that's a ZDoom thing so you probably wouldn't like it, BUT it can be done without scripting...

They were actually referring to the fact that the scientists walk AWAY from Doomguy, rather than crowding around him and getting in the way.

I remember I played one of those Star Wars TC's once, and when I used the command to "restore" my .EXE, it completely FUBARed it. Barrels that both ran away from me *and* slid along walls, a Cyberdemon that fired plasma rounds instead of rockets . . . heh, good stuff.

He he, I go away for a few days with the kids and this thread appears.

Right, as some people have answered...

The scientists are done using dehacked. They are using negative speeds to run away from the player, not paths or any such thing. They simply do exactly the opposite of a normal monster. Normal monsters move towards the player - these move away. You could herd them around the map if you wanted. If you give them paths to follow, they actually walk away from the nodes you give them. From memory, they are using the spectre edit number, but frames freed up by not using the Archvile to its full extent. If you use IDDT twice on the automap, you can see their little triangles moving backwards. :-) You'll also notice the walking frame sprites need to be mirrored otherwise they look like they are "moonwalking" everywhere. They do not have any attack frames, and so do not attack. The main body comes from "Blake Stone" but I changed the heads to make them look a bit more "Doomy". I used so many sounds (as someone guessed) to make things a little more realistic. It just seemed better than having every scientist shouting exactly the same thing in exactly the same way when they see the player.

As for the Star Wars Mech thing, It wasn't a linux viewer. I don't have linux. I don't actually remember what the viewer was. I remember searching around some official/Semi official "Jedi Outcast" sites and getting the (as then newly released) editing tools for the game. Maybe the model viewer came with that. If not, I found it via the same pages. It was a while ago (shortly after the game came out) and I have no idea where I put my copy of the viewer or I could send it to you.

Right, I think that covers it.

Enjay said:

The scientists are done using dehacked. They are using negative speeds to run away from the player, not paths or any such thing. They simply do exactly the opposite of a normal monster. Normal monsters move towards the player - these move away

I was about to come post that if you used the "anubis" cheat, they actually walk TOWARD you, which confirms the negative speed. =)

Aghh so the sceintist effect is possible in any port, kool! I'd never tried working with negative speeds in DeHackED before, never knew it was possible, or would be worth while. :)

As for the Mech, your page says you used Linux, and even had a screen shot of the program....

...as for the JK2 tools I have them, but they don't seem to want to support GLA models for the life of me, guess I'll have to tinker around or write to Raven.

Thankx!

XDelusion said:

As for the Mech, your page says you used Linux, and even had a screen shot of the program....

Ummm, which page? The only reference I can find to it is on my downloads page:

Enjay said:

Star Wars Mech Thing 458 KB

A sprite and sound replacement for the Doom Spider Demon taken from screen grabs of a mech type enemy from "Jedi Knight".

I was originally going to use this in "Aspects", but it didn't turn out the way I wanted. Not wanting to waste my time completely, I packaged it up and here it is. It was never quite finished off, and wasn't originally intended to be used as a spiderdemon replacement. That having been said, it is pretty reasonable and could easily be used as a base for further conversion, or as it is. Do with it as you wish. This has only been tested with Zdoom, and it uses one Zdoom specific feature. It should work with most ports however. In ports other than Zdoom it will not make a mechanical sound when hit, but will groan like a demon instead.

No mention of Linux, and no screen shots either. Heh, I've only ever run Linux once, and that was off a trial disk that allowed you to run Linux off the CD after booting to win98. Not too surprisingly it ran very badly. :-)

I had my memories mixed up. I read in the Mech docs that you used a program called MODView, which at the time I did not know what that was so I looked it up and came up with some Linux program which had a screen shot on its page...

..sorry. :)

Ok, I got MODView working at long last, turns out that all your Models, Shaders, and Textures have to be in a directory path under 42 Characters, and the root directory must be called BASE, otherwise it will NEVER work.

Only problem now is I can't figure out how to ZOOM in the models for a larger screen shot.