Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The /newstuff Chronicles #151

Carnevil said:

heh, alright. Any levels I do in the future will be easier.

Yeah after Wart01 when it said "I'll have to make Wart02 harder," I went "Screw that."

Cyb said:

holy crap, comments on /newstuff where people actually discuss the maps! I must be at the wrong website

How's this?

<Whine! Sob!> OMFG that reviewer has his head up his arse! <Moan! Whimper!> That map with two sectors, three different textures and 1 billion monsters was awesome, what the hell is this reviewer's problem?!? <Groan! Wail!> Waah mummy he didn't like my map/my friend's map/some random guy I've never even heard of before's map! <Gripe! Snivel!> The reviewer couldn't make a better map if he tried even though he's already released several! <Whinge! Bitch!> etc

The marswar megawad is a much better selection than I thought at first. I say this because I've recorded 10 of the 15 lmps currently over in the Demos Forum and have enjoyed playing each.

Initially, I looked at the ammo/health versus monster strength and found most of the maps had an abundance of ammo so I projected they would be easy to record and did a few in support of the forum.

However, 'easy' does not mean lousy. I found the author did a very good job at monster selection and placement as well as trap setting so I continued to record and am looking forward to the next map.

These are not monster loaded, die every minute, type maps but, with a few possible exceptions, they provide good, interesting, gameplay and the megawad is certainly worth downloading. Not hard by any stretch but fun.

There are still 17 maps left to record so, if that's your interest, join us over in the Demo Forum.

Maps completed todate include:
1, 5, 11, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 27, 29, 30 and 32.

Job said:

Heh, I guess that's what Torn gets for speedposting.

Blah blah. :P
Yeah of couse I meant speedrunning, I was also tired when I made that post. Heh.

I played DoomBoy's map quite a bit before he released it. It's not hard if you know what's coming. Still haven't found the berserk pack though.

BlackFish said:

Yay for sargebaldy! Nay for Deathz0r.

....fire that idiot (deathz0r).

Eat my ass. If I knew that my mum was going to sign me up for some overnight camp thing, I would of done it on time by now.

And on another note, we willingly write up these reviews. Nobody forces us to, but we decide to because it's fun (or something).

Use3D said:

I played DoomBoy's map quite a bit before he released it. It's not hard if you know what's coming. Still haven't found the berserk pack though.

Heh, ok, I'll tell you (and those of you who haven't found it yet).
The one hallway that leads to the blue key room (with the shotgunners and chainers) has two metal pillars on either side of it. The metal pillar on the right is a secret lift.

DoomBoy's "qad":

Another good way to get some extra ammo is to get the zombies close enough to the end of the hallway where an Arch-Vile could continually revive them from the other side of that monster block line.

that worked well for me. another note is that the archviles are released when the switch is pulled but the two barons are released once you grab the key. ergo if you dont grab the key then you've got less things to deal with immediatley... i actually did that by accident on the final attempt. also i just ran out, grabbed the archviles's attention and ran back so the archs were the only two right on that monsterclip line... waited until i'd got some more ammo out of the zombies then unloaded the rocket launcher at the archviles.. job done!

for the first archvile i ran in, grabbed the double shot and hid behind the nearest stupidly thin pillar so i could strafe out, fill it with lead then visblock myself again. heh. as it never leaves the pool.

so the archs DID make it hard, but on UV that's what i expect... though if that monsterclip wasnt there it would be impossible without simply running away like a girl instead of going for 100% kills...

"jarjar..."

WTF!?!? funny as ****

EDIT: ok, i "did" fritter on UV and it was cool until 4 cyberdemons arrived heh. time to run for that fritter!

i dl'ed mars war too but alas i just dont have time lately for megawads, have about 4 qued up from recent /newstuffs!

deathz0r said:

Eat my ass. If I knew that my mum was going to sign me up for some overnight camp thing, I would of done it on time by now.

And on another note, we willingly write up these reviews. Nobody forces us to, but we decide to because it's fun (or something).

What about write them satureday instead?. Then you could have made them this week too...

deathz0r said:

Eat my ass.

I suspect it'd be rather painful if he actually took you up on that offer...

Torn said:

What about write them satureday instead?. Then you could have made them this week too...

Heh, I'll do it on Saturday for this week then.

deathz0r said:

Heh, I'll do it on Saturday for this week then.

You'll show 'em, deathz0r! You'll do it Tuesday and Thursday too, right?