Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

The One Room Contest

Here is a new contest - the thread title is fairly self-explanatory. The rules are as follows:

Limitations:
Sector count - no limit; make it as detailed as you like, but it all must be within one room, the constraints of which will be later mentioned
Thing limit - again, none...but use should be in good taste
Linedefs/vertices - none
* The goal is to make the most intricate, detailed room according to theme. The radius can be anything you like within 896.

Goal:The working idea is that this is only one room and therefore, no two sectors joined by a door in this (except for a door in the wall for a compartment or whathaveyou) wad are allowed. Stairs may be used. You can have multi-levels. Pack whatever you like into that one room, but as I said, doors are explicitly disallowed, even if they are within that one room. That'd defeat the purpose. :) Lifts are okay too, of course. Lastly, let me add that all the wads must be original, no use of previous wads or copy+pasting. All of this can be done in vanilla Doom, but ZDoom is okay too. I should also mention that you may use must use only the existing textures using the Doom 1 IWAD (this condition is only for this one...it may vary between contests).

This week's theme: We'll start with the standard and make it easy for anyone to get into it... E1.

Post replies for comments, questions, etc, as well as updates. All entries are to be completed by Saturday, November 1st(this date is subject to change by mass-request). Feel free to post any images, or links, of your level in progress or in completion.

**The winner receives a color Doom 2 poster**
[any and all entries may be subject to submission to /newstuff chronicles with permission of author]

*EXTRA INFO*:If you wish, feel free to make this one room map into an actual "functioning map", including an exit, enemies, etc. Should you choose that, I suggest making it for speedrunning in mind. If enough entries are submitted, a speedrunning megawad could be compiled with the authors' permission.

Let me get this right. You're asking people to design the most detailed room possible and you're only giving them a week? if you're going for finely crafted detail, then this may not be enough time.

Russell_P said:

Let me get this right. You're asking people to design the most detailed room possible and you're only giving them a week? if you're going for finely crafted detail, then this may not be enough time.

Not taken, date changed. Prize added.

Heh, this I can do! :)
I assume by E1, you're talking about Doom, although you could very well be talking about Doom2. At any rate, I'll start my really really really really really really really really detailed map in a while. :P

I am in. But please explain about that one room, is stairs allowed or what?. Heh.

The Flange Peddler said:

That's quite hard as there is no Friday the 27th this month.

Note taken. Friday the 31st. :)

Torn said:

I am in. But please explain about that one room, is stairs allowed or what?. Heh.

Stairs may be used. You can have multi-levels. Pack whatever you like into that one room, but as I said, doors are explicitly disallowed, even if they are within that one room. That'd defeat the purpose. :) Lifts are okay too, of course. Lastly, let me add that all the wads must be original, no use of previous wads or copy+pasting. All of this can be done in vanilla Doom, but ZDoom is okay too. I should also mention that you may use must use only the existing textures using the Doom 1 IWAD (this condition is only for this one...it may vary between contests).

Does the map actually have to be completeable? In other words, do there have to be enemies and an exit, or is this just an architecture showcase? I'd prefer the latter, since placing enemies would just get in the way.

Assmaster said:

Does the map actually have to be completeable? In other words, do there have to be enemies and an exit, or is this just an architecture showcase? I'd prefer the latter, since placing enemies would just get in the way.

No, the map doesn't have to have any sort of exit. Nor are enemies necessary. But if you wish, you have the option of including things besides scenery. You're correct, the goal is to create a map (following the guidlines) which exhibits the best use of detail.

Does this have to be for a certain source port or can i use any port i wish?
Sorry if the next question seems a bit stupid, but can someone explain "Linedefs/vertices - none" to me.

Frades said:
Does this have to be for a certain source port or can i use any port i
wish?

Doom Boom or ZDoom.

@Job: If it shall be only one room, how do you think it can be
meaningful-completable?
Sounds pretty, and I even got ideas ^_^
I think therefore... eh, there is a reason why only one frickin detailed room.
Cause one [extremely] detailed room is already it's 100KB.

What about this 896x896 limit?

Frades said:

Oh blah.
I just remembered i don't have Doom1 IWAD.
Well, maybe next time.

Just take the DOOM2 IWAD then, and when you're finished, take something like XWE and rename it to E1M1.

sargebaldy said:

i might do this, except i prefer saving exceptionally nice detail for an actual map.

Heh, you can always use your room in another map.

Hirogen2 said:

@Job: If it shall be only one room, how do you think it can be
meaningful-completable?
Sounds pretty, and I even got ideas ^_^
I think therefore... eh, there is a reason why only one frickin detailed room.
Cause one [extremely] detailed room is already it's 100KB.

What about this 896x896 limit?

The idea is to show your skills to their maximum, despite the limitation of having only one room to work with. To "ooh" and "aah" despite the fact it's not a map, per se. As for the 896x896 limit, that's just to keep the maps from being too darn big. Otherwise you can basically make a whole level anyway as long as you refrain from using doors--that kind of undermines the idea behind the contest. However, if you like, you can make it a functional map...you can put enemies and an exit in. In fact, I encourage it. But the limitation requirements still stand.

Hirogen2 said:

Just take the DOOM2 IWAD then, and when you're finished, take something like XWE and rename it to E1M1.

The idea, by limiting it to one IWAD was to make it easier to view the maps, but I may lift my bar on the IWAD limitations. As for now, though, the Doom1 IWAD should be used.
EDIT: Please see the first post for extra information that you may find relevant!

As for the 896x896 limit, that's just to keep the maps from being too darn big.

Heh good cause my current state is 1088x960 (17x15 '64 squares) but I try to get it down again.

The idea, by limiting it to one IWAD was to make it easier to view the maps, but I guess I'm going to lift my bar on the IWAD limitations. The Doom2 IWAD is acceptable too.

I just meant that one can use doom2 "for the moment", not for the final result. I do too, cause I won't change ZETH's config everytime I work between DOOM<->DOOM2.
However, there are textures from doom.wad which are not in doom2.wad and vice versa, so be careful with lifting it.
However, it would .. something, I'd like to use the SSG, so again another argument for Doom2.

I like this idea. I'm fairly good at making fairly detailed rooms, but stringing a bunch of rooms together to make a map is much more difficult for me. It's like a sketch pad, you know, try out an idea for a cool room even if you don't have anything to attach to it. I'm definitely in, in fact I've already started on my room. Dang, 896x896 is much smaller than I thought. Cool, allows me to focus on detailing. Of course, I'm sure I'll get my ass kicked, because there are some kick-ass mappers around here, but whatever, it'll be fun, regardless.

To accomodate those in time zones other than mine, I've changed the date to Saturday, November 1st. So good luck to everyone and keep mapping!

How exactly does this 896 limit work? Do you mean a square room of 896x896. In the original post you mentioned a radius of 896 so I guess that's not right. I made a quick 32 sided polygon with a radius of 896 in Windeu and it turned out pretty darn big, probably much bigger than the size of 'one room'.

And how exactly is 'room' defined? You say you're not allowed to use doors, but doors aren't the only things that define the edge of a room. Any lowering/raising floor could be used too take the player to a different 'room'. And surely any 2 squares joined together by a corridor really makes 2 'rooms' and not one ?

Edit: Oh and again... there is no Saturday the 28th of October... at least not this year :P

The bounding box of the level shall be 896x896, that is, an "imaginary box" around all linedefs and vertices.

Besides, "a room" can't really hold true for an outdoor scene.

Job said:

To accomodate those in time zones other than mine, I've changed the date to Saturday, the 28th of October. So good luck to everyone and keep mapping!

[just kidding around]Dude, WTF? October 28th is NOT on a Saturday. It's next Tuesday. Quit confusing me with your dates which don't correspond correctly with days. Do you mean Saturday, or do you mean the 28th? There's a big difference. And if you do mean a Saturday, which one? The on before the 28th or after? I'm glad you're accomodating for other time zones, though, 'cause it sounds like yours is on another planet.[/just kidding around]

Sorry, but this date thing has been bugging me, and I just want to know how much time I've got. Don't take offense at it or anything, just having a bit of fun.

geekmarine said:

[just kidding around]Dude, WTF? October 28th is NOT on a Saturday. It's next Tuesday. Quit confusing me with your dates which don't correspond correctly with days. Do you mean Saturday, or do you mean the 28th? There's a big difference. And if you do mean a Saturday, which one? The on before the 28th or after? I'm glad you're accomodating for other time zones, though, 'cause it sounds like yours is on another planet.[/just kidding around]

Sorry, but this date thing has been bugging me, and I just want to know how much time I've got. Don't take offense at it or anything, just having a bit of fun.

Geez, sorry. My head's not quite where it should be right now -- lot's of midterms, work, etc... I meant Saturday, November 1st.

[Mr. Burns]Excellent![/Mr. Burns]

Well, that should give me plenty of time. My room is totally kicking ass right now. I can't wait until it's finished.