Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

The One Room Contest

geekmarine said:
My room is totally kicking ass right now. I can't wait until it's finished. [/B]

don't be so self-confident :D

Hey, I'm not saying it's gonna be kick-ass for anyone else, just for me =P. I mean, if I don't like my room, no reason to submit it, is there? Plus, I might use it for a level or something.

ravage said:

I think there should be a DUNE theme sometime. ;P

Oh there will, there will...

Why not? Sectors are unlimited. You shall make one "room", including erm... If
I Understood Right multiple rooms along the Z axis.
Dont rely on the last statemant about Z rooms.

Hirogen2 said:

Why not? Sectors are unlimited. You shall make one "room", including erm... If
I Understood Right multiple rooms along the Z axis.
Dont rely on the last statemant about Z rooms.

Yup, you're right. Dummy sectors in any number, as well as any other, are quite all right to use.

I could try this,even tho im not that good at mapping yet.
One qustion tho, does it have to be made with doom1?

Twiztid said:

I could try this,even tho im not that good at mapping yet.
One qustion tho, does it have to be made with doom1?

Nah, I suppose not. But the textures included in the Doom 1 IWAD would probably be a big help if you had them. But I can't hold it against you if you don't have Doom 1. So go ahead and use Doom 2 if that's all you have.

Well, that's it. I'm all out of ideas, and I don't feel my room is detailed enough. Shucks. I mean, I could do some lighting, but that's about it. Well, I'm gonna tinker with it until the end of the contest, but I'm pretty much done.

Agent Spork said:

Do bars blocking the way that open up count as doors?

As long as they are within the main room, it's okay. I wish I could code an example, but you'll just have to take my word for it. You can use them as decoration, but you can't use bars to lead into blocked off new sectors.

Uhm, Define one room, is it just a big 896x896 room or can I have hallways just as it fits a 896x896 area without any doors of couse?

Torn said:

Uhm, Define one room, is it just a big 896x896 room or can I have hallways just as it fits a 896x896 area without any doors of couse?

Good question. Technically, you can put whatever you want within the 896x896 area. If you can get hallways in it, more power to you. As you mentioned, I am entirely prohibiting any use of doors. To me, that seems to violate the purpose. Everything is open and corridor/sector/room based. But by an 896x896 area, I'd like to keep it within a room -- and by that I mean, not making said area an open field with buildings (w/o doors) on it. It's all supposed to be in the confines of an 896x896 block. I hope that answers your question!

Oh -- I may have forgotten to mention this, but if there are enough maps, a level using all of your rooms will be released for /newstuff. With your permission of course.

Can we submit more than one entry?

The thing is, I'd almost completed my entry when my computer started going haywire, so I've started another one on this spare computer. If I manage to get my computer fixed in time, I'll have two candidates, and I'd love to be able send them both in :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Can we submit more than one entry?

The thing is, I'd almost completed my entry when my computer started going haywire, so I've started another one on this spare computer. If I manage to get my computer fixed in time, I'll have two candidates, and I'd love to be able send them both in :)

Sure, that's cool. I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and choose the best out of your submissions. Seeing as how the limit is 3. :) (at least it is now, heh)

Job, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.
;)

Job said:

Post replies for comments, questions, etc, as well as updates. All entries are to be completed by Saturday, November 21st.

that's a friday. unless you mean the 1st.

well, if you really meant the first then i can't make it this time around, but i'll try to show up next time.

quick question: define 896x896 limit, as in, if i were to make a square room, 64x64 grid, how many per side would that be? 14 per side? or something. bascially i'm just asking how many squares i'll get per side to make a giant sqaure room. then i'll detail. unless it's really the first for the deadline, then i'm screwed either way. :)

monochrome said:

Job, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.
;)

that's a friday. unless you mean the 1st.

well, if you really meant the first then i can't make it this time around, but i'll try to show up next time.

quick question: define 896x896 limit, as in, if i were to make a square room, 64x64 grid, how many per side would that be? 14 per side? or something. bascially i'm just asking how many squares i'll get per side to make a giant sqaure room. then i'll detail. unless it's really the first for the deadline, then i'm screwed either way. :)

Yeah, I made another typo. Oy. It is indeed the first, i.e. tomorrow. Feel free to either a.) pull something out of your butt for this contest or b.) make the next one. :)
Anyway, you are right. 896x896 is 14 squares by 14 squares.

Job said:

Yeah, I made another typo. Oy. It is indeed the first, i.e. tomorrow. Feel free to either a.) pull something out of your butt for this contest or b.) make the next one. :)

well, since my computer was reformated i guess i'll have to wait until B, unless i'm really fast then i'll have one done by midnight. :)

Anyway, you are right. 896x896 is 14 squares by 14 squares.

i was? that's pretty small, but oh well. thanks man. hope i can wip something out in a jiffie.

Done! Link is at http://www.geocities.com/great_wise_yoda/e1room.zip
Well, that about wraps things up for me.

EDIT: Damn, I hate Geocities. Yeah, just copy/paste the link, and it should work fine.

Today? Darn, didn't get my second map finished, and still haven't been able to retrieve the first.

Oh well, I can hopefully restyle them for contest #2 :)

The first contest is indeed over -- does anyone else wish to post/send their maps (to me)?

Kid Airbag said:

When's the second start, I might partake.

Not sure yet, but I'll be sure to post a new thread as first as all the loose ends of the first contest are tied up.