Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nycgamer

What are the most unique and original FPS games you’ve played?

As far as the way the game looks, types of weapons, enemies, vehicles, character designs, etc. I have a few in mind that, for me, were totally different than the other FPS’s I’ve played.

Halo (http://halo.bungie.org/) – I think this is the most complete FPS ever. There’s been so much discussion about this game already so I’ll just leave it at that.

TRON 2.0 (http://www.tron20.net) – There’s nothing else out there like TRON. And there are no other weapons like these in any other game; the disc, the rod, the ball and the mesh… each one has multiple functions & variations.

Time Splitters 1 & 2 (http://www.timesplitters2.eidos.com/#)– While I certainly think there are better FPSs out there this is the only one that takes you on a trip through time and therefore such diverse variety of worlds and characters. I wish more games followed the theme of time travel.

Aliens v.s Predator. The marine missions are unique in the nature of the enimies you face... those bugs are all over the place, hanging from ceilings and spawning left right and center. It took away the save function as well, so there was a genuine sense of surivial and fear.

Predator mode kinda sucks, but the Alien mode is just insane. Creeping up on people, tearing them to bits, dangling from the ceiling waiting to ambush whoever walks by... and the multiplayer is quite a unique experience.

Space hulk was an interesting mix of FPS and strategy, so I'd have to mention that too.

nycgamer said:

I wish more games followed the theme of time travel.

Yeah, well Diakatana kinda fucked that one dead for me.

Halo, hah. Elites are too damn hard. Nothing as annoying as an enemy who doesn't react to being shot, and shreads you in the process. As for Timesplitters 2 . . . without a doubt the worst FPS I've played. Ever. Wolf 3D is better than that. Uh . . . I'm gonna go for maybe Turok (the original) or Perfect Dark.

On one note, what's so original about Halo? Admittedly I haven't played it that much, but to me at least it just seems like an updated and singleplayer-ed Tribes 2.

No-one Lives Forever.... played very differently from any other FPS game I had tried up to that point

System Shock 2. Considering I always had a weapon in my firstperson hand, that I was always shooting it and that the game was layed out in a very linear way ultimately, I'm gonna try to squeeze this in as an extremely original FPS.

//Edit: Grimm, Perfect Dark I agree wholeheartedly on. An excellent game.

Thief. Nuff said.

As for Halo, I think it probably has the greatest multiplayer ever. It's just so fun.

Ichor said:

Descent would be better if the mouse controls were a lot faster.

I play it with just a keyboard. And tend to fly better than people with joysticks or mice.

Anyway, I'd have to say Zero Tolerance for the Genesis, Space Hulk due to it's mixture of strategy and action (as well as the atmosphere), and Disruptor for the psyonics.

DooM II: Hell on Earth

ok. what about wolf3d. at the time it was

cyclones. a FPS with look up/down, jumping and aiming abilities. but shit controls. also had sector over sector, as far as i could guess. it would have a guy ontop of a platform jutting out and at the same time u could gop under it. I dont remember any slope. played for 5 minutes. was out in 1994

Sephiroth said:

cyclones.

Despite the controls I really liked CyClones. And yeah, it had sector over sector and slopes, but all the geometry was orthagonal.

Job said:

Codename: Tenka.

Wow, I thought I was the only one here who knew/liked that game. I don't see where it's all that original (outside of his cool gun), but it's definitely cool none-the-less. Now if I could only get the music again (I borked my CD :( )

Job said:

Codename: Tenka.

I know the game you're talking about, with the morphing weapon you had since I played it on PSX once, but wasn't it called Lifeforce: Tenka?

Well, here it was called that anyway.

Duke Nukem 3D

It had tons of stuff I had never seen before in a game. Using a toilet, throwing dollar bills to strippers, many destroyable objects, the Shrinker, the tripbomb, etc. Very unique game at that time. And it probably still is.

Duke Nukem 3D and some game in which you fight characters drawn by pencils. In fact, the whole world around you is build up out of sketches. The game sucked, but it was very unique. Very sick atmosphere too.

I don't understand what's so unique about Halo. OK so it has a fairly unique premise (ring world) and vehicles, but other than that is standard FPS fare.

zarcyb said:

I don't understand what's so unique about Halo. OK so it has a fairly unique premise (ring world) and vehicles, but other than that is standard FPS fare.

The ringworld is unique to Halo, but Tribes One did the vehicle and limited weapons supply a long time ago. I think Halo is a fun and innovative console game, but nothing new on PC.

Most unique and original? I once played a demo created by a russian developer. It was set out in an outside landscape. You played with some NPC's who acted with high AI. The enemy were some soldiers/aliens. Though it sounds not very original, the game felt very unique and fun.

But i don't remember the name...Oh it was Codename: Outbreak

Halo, everyone likes seeing the same damn thing over and over and over and over and over again.

I'll put my required SS2 note along with my Half-Life recomendation.. I acually found a human being who had not played half-life before, he is not buried under my porch after I beat him silly with a shovel.

[QUOTE]darknation said:
Aliens v.s Predator. The marine missions are unique in the nature of the enimies you face... those bugs are all over the place, hanging from ceilings and spawning left right and center. It took away the save function as well, so there was a genuine sense of surivial and fear.[quote]
AvP rules. I always play as alien, when I play avp(2). It is so great to sit in the celing and wait for food. :P

Predator mode kinda sucks, but the Alien mode is just insane. Creeping up on people, tearing them to bits, dangling from the ceiling waiting to ambush whoever walks by... and the multiplayer is quite a unique experience.

Yeah, I kinda wish they left the predator with just the differnet screen modes and not the normal, because in the movies he can only see like that too. And he have also the most annoying weapons. General, I can't stand the predator. In multiplayer it is great with 1predator versus eg: 2marines and 3-4aliens. :)

Dunbar said:

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime is about as original as wearing pants.

No doubt a good game though.