Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arielus

Best architecture

Talking about architecture, which add-on do you think deserves the crown? I have played a fair amount of sets and, in my humble opinion, no mod features so marvellously detailed maps as "Phobos - Anomaly Reborn" by Chris Lutz. The levels are extremely well developed! For those of you have played this add-on, just can you imagine how much patience this person must have put into it? Wow... The layouts are so perfect that my computer just runs DOOM slowly, LOL... And that didn't happen since my good old 386DX!

"Phobos - Anomaly Reborn" is not my favourite DOOM modification at all, there are more things that I take into account when judging a set; yet it definitely features the most passionate and thought over level design style I have ever seen. There are other add-ons that I like better, like "The Darkening - Episode 2", in which all the levels are extraordinary. Sublime on the whole, excellent maps, but certainly not as detailed as those in Mr. Lutz's masterpiece.

These are just my thoughts. The maps in "Phobos - Anomaly Reborn" are simply too good.

What do you guys have to say? :-)

Ariel.

One must realize that such masterpeices as Alien Vendetta and Darkening (and several others I recommend at my site) are DOOM2.exe compatible; whereas P:AR is not.
not taking away from the ChaosCrew(and Lutz') work at all; P:AR is breathtaking and amazing in every way... clearly one of the very best wads ever for DOOM.
check out hmm... Dark7, Espi's, Shaviro's, Tormentor667's maps, ViolentEd's maps, Fredrik's, Alm's, ... heck there are a lot more than that you should get your eyes on.... :)
(and I'm not saying you haven't seen those, just mentioning in case you haven't...)

About a million (give ot take) people are about to say "Alien Vendetta, map 20". And I'll say it as well:
Alien Vendetta, map 20.

Thanks for replying. From the ones mentioned so far, I've only checked "Dark7" along with "Dark7 Mission Pack 1", and I liked them both pretty much. Also, I have played "Alien Vendetta", and like many many many DOOMers, I too think it's one of the best mods ever made.

However, I really consider that, even though it's not DOOM2.EXE compatible as it's been correctly said, "Phobos - Anomaly Reborn"'s levels are just beyond everything I have played; and believe me... ha ha... I have played quite a lot! :-)

Thanks for sharing your opinion,

Ariel.

chord_g is the best looking and perhaps playing map (and without a doubt the combo) I've ever played. and doom2.exe compat for you purists out there

Assmaster said:

About a million (give ot take) people are about to say "Alien Vendetta, map 20". And I'll say it as well:
Alien Vendetta, map 20.

I don't. For me this is a perfect example of a mapper gone too far. IMHO this is the most ineffectively overdetailed map I've ever seen. With something like P:AR at least I get the sense of a real place. This one seems to me just like a giant maze.

In the end, hovever, I prefer something like Darkening 2 or Dark 7. These maps look great and play exceptionally well. Another thing that is easily overlooked is the quality of textures. A well made set of textures can often provide more detail than excessive geometry as in AV Map 20 or P:AR.

Equinox.

'nuff said.

OK, I'll say a bit more. It isn't over-detailed, but just very grandiose, with excellent textures and good lighting.

Attention, ellmo is going to sound lame now... where can I get Alien Vendetta? for I've heard only good or very good or superb opinions on that MWAD...

Anyone? Is it in Archives?

EDIT: nevermind, I just found it myself...

Cyb said:

chord_g is the best looking and perhaps playing map (and without a doubt the combo) I've ever played. and doom2.exe compat for you purists out there

Yes, ChordG is a nice little map. It's not huge in size, but it's big enough, and it does indeed look very nice, and it's quite violent as well (especially on UV).

OMG DooMBoy's Quick and Deadly!!1! Too bad it's too symmetrical. (thanks, Deatz0r, for the help analyzing)

What the hell are you gabbling about Job? QaD ain't symmetrical! :P

DooMBoy said:

What the hell are you gabbling about Job? QaD ain't symmetrical! :P

Look at the shot on the DW front page.

Like I already said to you on AIM, it's not totally symetrical.
Oh, and you just can't over my map owning you, can you?

DooMBoy said:

Like I already said to you on AIM, it's not totally symetrical.
Oh, and you just can't over my map owning you, can you?

I can't what over your map owning me? Humping? Loving? Eating till I can eat no more? Put in a verb, please. Besides, I only use lab computers...I can't play your map and beat the par on it right now.

Job said:

I can't what over your map owning me? Humping? Loving? Eating till I can eat no more? Put in a verb, please. Besides, I only use lab computers...I can't play your map and beat the par on it right now.

There is no par on it right now, jackass :D As for the whole loving/humping thing, you'd love to wouldn't you? Yes, you would! I know it. As for a verb, how about this? Heh.

DooMBoy said:

There is no par on it right now, jackass :D As for the whole loving/humping thing, you'd love to wouldn't you? Yes, you would! I know it. As for a verb, how about this? Heh.

Blog.

DooMBoy said:

How off topic of you to say so!

My "Blog", intended for your post, has good architecture. Arguably the best.

Job said:

My "Blog", intended for your post, has good architecture. Arguably the best.

Only if you've got your head rammed up your ass.

DooMBoy said:

Only if you've got your head rammed up your ass.

Perhaps I do... I win, by default, because of your puerile resort to explitives.

You lose by default. By including the word "ass" in my post I was referring to a part of your anatomy which you always seem to have your head lodged in.
I win! :D

Ichor said:

Ok guys, let's get back to the topic here.

Right. I was actually a fan of the techstyle Final Doom levels.

Gonna have to go with P:AR here, simply stunning work all around. There have been wads that have entertained the times I simply wanted to stop and take in the sights but this one takes top honors. I also like a train level that can compete with the one from Blood (one of my favorite levels from that game).

2nd, Equinox. Not the most amazing detail but certainly unique in atmosphere and design.

3rd. Darkening 2. It surprised me when it came out, at the time I didn't know Darken1 existed, I think, but I got my ass in gear for the sequel. :)

Indeed. There is a sort of train section in "Phobos - Anomaly Reborn" which is simply unbelieveably detailed; outstanding.

I haven't seen much of "Equinox", although I have played the first level completely. I have also heard from many people that it is one of the "must-play" titles in existence, so it would be fair from me to give it a try, wouldn't it?

And "The Darkening - Episode 2" is definitely among my Top Ten ever. As I have said before, I like it -on the whole- better than "Phobos - Anomaly Reborn", because of all the features it has. Its levels, in particular, are absolutely amazing; the architecture is sublime.

Any other add-on which hasn't been mentioned yet? :-)

Ariel.