• Less than five years
    • 5 - 20 years
    • 50ish years
    • it\'s coming within the next 100 years
    • We\'re all doomed, but not by our mistakes
    • We\'ll have moved past earth before we fuck her up
    • Hippies will take over for everlasting peace

Just a little fancy I took.

In your own (doubtlessly highly educated) estimates, how long do you think it will be before the human race manages to utterly obliterate itself back into the stone age?

We have less than 100 years to go:

Doomsday is sometime after mid March 2092 (666 * 3.14159265)

darknation said:

whoops, I forgot the 'hippies will take over for everlasting peace' option.

Added.

Also, the way events are progressing, I suspect it's close. I know better than to give dates, but I feel comfortable saying within a few hundred years, most likely sooner than later.

I don't know about the world, but the Internet will end when a demo of D3 or HL2 will be released.

Man, what a bunch of pessimists...

No matter what way people think that the world will "end", there will always be someone left to carry out the responsibilities of progressing mankind into the future. There are always survivors of war; there are undoubtedly some people on this rock that are naturally immune to some disease, even if they're man-made; if alien invaders DO come along, more than likely they'll be so arrogant about themselves that they'll overlook the tenacity and cunning of some people (not to sound like Grimm, but, how do you think America won the Revolution?).

About the only thing none of us can get away from is the planet spontaneously blowing up or something along those lines.

To be continued...have to be in class in 10 minutes...

If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I'd say our Earth's demise would probably fall into the 5-20 years category, especially when you think about the events that have happened around the world in the past couple years or so.

Python_Junkie said:

that they'll overlook the tenacity and cunning of some people (not to sound like Grimm, but, how do you think America won the Revolution?).

Or even more poignantly, how you think the Vietnamese prevented the Americans from winning the vietnam war? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Humour aside, I don't think we are invincible. The dinosaurs got wiped out after all...

ToXiCFLUFF said:

The dinosaurs got wiped out after all...

1) Your Vietnamese point is just as correct

2) Are we really sure they were "wiped out"? That's still just a theory, but the theory that they actually evolved into birds seems just a likely. Besides, a global disaster isn't selective; if there were such a disaster, EVERYTHING would've been destroyed, at least on the surface. We more than likely would not be on terra firma today had something such as that happened...

I've been dreaming of armageddon lately. Most of the time it doesn't end well. Other times I'm never really sure if it's all over.

We will die because we cannot understand the mechanics of martian bombs.

Thomas Chase predicts that when the world's population reaches 6.66 billion, the war of Armageddon may occur. In early 1999, it reached 6.0 billion.

At the rate everything is going, I hope it ends now. Unfortunately, all predictions say 2012. We still have 9 years. :/

fodders said:

[img-HOT HOT IMAGE LEECH]

Thomas Chase predicts that when the world's population reaches 6.66 billion, the war of Armageddon may occur. In early 1999, it reached 6.0 billion.

According to the International Programs Center, U.S. Bureau of the Census, the total population of the World, projected to 10/23/03 at 1:02:57 GMT (10/22/03 at 9:02:57 PM EDT) is

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/popclockw

Sillywads... don't choose dates you're likely to still be alive in. I mean, eventually your kids or grandchildren will find out what you wrote here and say "bwahahaha, you fail it, look what you said there on Doomworld!"

Oh, and, naturally, population based predictions tend to fail since we're in constant development or change (take the given example of eventually becoming superior hippie-like beings.) And they're boring too, of course.

great movie, redux on DVD is awesome.

i think there was something some ancient civilization did, the mayas or incas or whatnot. what happened was they predicted events like solar eclipses, tides, meteor showers, all sorts of events and even to this day they were completely accuracte. the date that everything just suddenly stops is 24 or 23 december 2012. either that or they got bored with then. heh.

i've had stange visions of my own deaths multiple times, and those have included end of the world events (such as watching a nuclear warhead go off and everything turn white before the vision stopped). they might just be reaccuring acid trips though.

læmænt said:
who says i'll still be alive in 2012?

Okay. I know where you live, so don't worry. I'll go over there and make sure you ain't no sillywad!

I think Homo Sapiens will be natural history before the Earth is destroyed.

But I do not believe that we will go in a violent way. There is a thing called evolution afterall and I find it rather ridiculous to believe that this species will exist for more than a couple of million years.

On the other hand I don't believe that we will all be destroyed in some grand war. Humans are a hardy breed and human populations have recovered from even the direst of catastrophes.

A nuclear war should be violent enough to crack the Earth in half if it were to exterminate all of humanity.