Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gherkin

Doom Builder officially released inclusive source code

It cant be more true than that. Its not perfect, it probably never will be, but such programs dont exist anyway.
Doom Builder 1.0 is released.

The source code is released as freeware, open source project. You can download it from the site, but if you use it, you must present your code as open source.

Have fun, im off to my next project ;)

thanks for adding in so many of our feature requests, i really appreciate it that this is an editor made for the community rather than someone's pocketbook. and i was happy to get a chance to beta test it too. hope with your next project is as successful as this one!

oh yeah and everyone enjoy my toilet :P

This is good, very good.... downloading as we speak! Thrilling...!

And the best of luck to you Gherkin with your future endeavours! DB should look good in your résumé ;-)

Wow, I ran a couple old maps that I'd been doing in DeepSea through it....

...and now they no longer crash! at last!!!! :)

I love it so much! Thank you so much Gherkin! I might just have to let you win on skulltag again! ;D

Just a question, how do I access the script editor?

I dont see it.. but what Im going to do is uninstall DB and reinstall it fresh. I just installed it over the old DB! :)

:) I've been running it through Deep's testing features, and NO errors are popping up at all so far while I'm editing in my usual sloppy manner, now maybe my project will pick up the pace a bit! :)

You must select the right configuration. If this is a Legacy map, select the Doom Legacy configuration, if this is a ZDoom map select one of the ZDoom configurations.

Please note that you cant switch between map format (Doom/Hexen) by selecting a different configuration. If you have a Doom format map and you want to use ACS, get some untility (i forgot its name) to convert it to Hexen format first.

Just a though, but maybe you or someone else can make Doom Builder Linux compatable. All it needs is a different install, a whole lot of source path changes, and making 3d Mode read from SDL instead of DirectX. Ok so maybe that's a lot, but I really wish I could map in Linux with a decent Editor...

Gherkin said:

If you have a Doom format map and you want to use ACS, get some untility (i forgot its name) to convert it to Hexen format first.

zwadconv, which can be found in the editing package on zdoom.org

Well, I'm editing for zdoom, the scripts menu is up, but I can't edit new scripts. what

Edit: And where's the scaling tool? It'll make making things bigger easier.

Hey, now that this is released (as Gherkin told me recently), I'd like to ask any of you more savvy people here... the Doom Legacy config included with DB only works with Doom 1. Can anyone do config files for Doom 2 and Heretic?

Ok 1 complaint thus far. when you change the grid size, you can't really see the smaller grid, on my monitor, which does not get too bright, it still looks the same. Also it would be nice to adjust the brightness on the 3D mode as I can only see what I'm looking at if the lights are turned WAY up, or if I output to my TV.

both of these can be done.

for #1: change the grid colors to brighter colors

for #2: adjust the gamma control in the 3d mode settings

netnomad312 said:

Can anyone do config files for Doom 2 and Heretic?

i might when i get some spare time.

cyber-menace said:

Just a though, but maybe you or someone else can make Doom Builder Linux compatable. All it needs is a different install, a whole lot of source path changes, and making 3d Mode read from SDL instead of DirectX. Ok so maybe that's a lot, but I really wish I could map in Linux with a decent Editor...

Good luck. It's written in Visual Basic and to convert this a lot of work is required. In fact I think that this will result in no serious modifications or enhancements of DoomBuilder.

hey gerkin. wonderful work! =) it really makes aligning so much faster!!

and one more bug (sorry for that heh): in rotate, when you enter a "-" it hangs up the whole thing.

netnomad312 said:

Hey, now that this is released (as Gherkin told me recently), I'd like to ask any of you more savvy people here... the Doom Legacy config included with DB only works with Doom 1. Can anyone do config files for Doom 2 and Heretic?

I made a Doom II Legacy wad (Blood Pentagram) using Doom Builder 0.9.

1) Boot DB
2) Press f5
3) Click Files Tab
4) Click Doom Legacy in window
5) Browse for your Doom II Iwad
6) Edit stuff

Maybe theres something I'm missing? Isn't that all you need to do?

The Doom Legacy configuration that comes with Doom Builder has everything for Doom 2 (which includes everything for Doom and Ultimate Doom). If you want to make a Doom Legacy configuration for Heretic, best is to copy Heretic.cfg and add Legacy's stuff to it.

Note that when you copy a configuration file, you must always change the following line:

game = "...";
Give it a different name. The result of 2 configurations with the same name is undefined.

There is quite a few linetypes not included in the default legacy.cfg - but they are all in my Rust project's cfg. If anybody wants this, I'll clean out the Rust specific stuff and make it into a pure legacy doom2 config.....

You mean making a complete Legacy.cfg file? Thatd be nice. I can upload it to my site and rebuild the Doom Builder installation to include it, if thats ok with you.

Gherkin said:

You mean making a complete Legacy.cfg file? Thatd be nice. I can upload it to my site and rebuild the Doom Builder installation to include it, if thats ok with you.

No problem Gherkin, It might be tomorrow though, since I'm a little busy today, and there is still some more lines to be added.

wow, a lot of the problems i was having earlier in DB are gone now! YAY! :P :D

Doom Dude said:

I made a Doom II Legacy wad (Blood Pentagram) using Doom Builder 0.9.

1) Boot DB
2) Press f5
3) Click Files Tab
4) Click Doom Legacy in window
5) Browse for your Doom II Iwad
6) Edit stuff

Maybe theres something I'm missing? Isn't that all you need to do?

Tried it. Didn't work... it was displayed as Doom II without legacy effects. Same deal for my Heretic wad.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

There is quite a few linetypes not included in the default legacy.cfg - but they are all in my Rust project's cfg. If anybody wants this, I'll clean out the Rust specific stuff and make it into a pure legacy doom2 config.....

All right, thanks!