Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gherkin

Doom Builder officially released inclusive source code

Im sorry I forgot SargeBaldy, that must have been a while ago. Did I include the updated Eternity configuration which you made? If so, then ill have to credit you for that in the changelog.

Now that this thread is alive again I just want to mention that the dual monitors issue is not fixed. To fix it you have to change InitMouse to or DISCL_EXCLUSIVE with DISCL_FOREGROUND instead of DISCL_BACKGROUND when exclusive mouse access is set.

(Yes, I've tested this with 1.64.)

CodeImp said:

Try setting the Available Undo Levels to something very low like 10 or something. Im not sure if it improves speed, but it sure will take up less memory.

In version 1.52 I have the undo level set to 50 and I can edit for hours upon hours without any problems. In the newer versions I have it halved and I can't even move vertices 30 times before every action takes a minute to process.

One minor issue I've noticed is that when you export a level into a texture wad, DB doesn't load the new textures immediately and you have to save and reload the wad.

Even as a Edimap expert, Doombuilder definitelly broke DOS dependence! It´s really a awesome editor :) My maps are built 400% faster than in the old days, but I have to admit it HAS some drawbacks :/

-In the texture selector, I have to delete the already shown name, before entering the new one. It should delete itself automatically and add a new letter I´m typing at the time, so we could browse it faster :)

-Should have a way to use page up / down to move ceilings! I´m not trying to convert Doombuilder into a Duke3d Build but I have seen a enormous difference on level build time in skycraper-like levels, when you´re too worried about heights

Any more suggestions ? :)

ivanrolim said: In the texture selector, I have to delete the already shown name, before entering the new one. It should delete itself automatically and add a new letter I´m typing at the time, so we could browse it faster :)

It works that way in the Sidedefs tab when editing Line properties, but in 3D Mode it indeed is a bit annoying that you have to use backspace before typing a new texture name. Ill have that fixed, later ;)

ivanrolim said: Should have a way to use page up / down to move ceilings!

Use your mouse scrollwheel or reconfigure the keys. 3D Mode can edit heights (SHIFT+mousewheel for fine adjustments), textures (just aim and left-click), brightness (CTRL+mousewheel), texture alignment (cursor keys), anything that does not require a new BSP tree. There are also keys for handy tools: A aligns all adjacent textures with the same name, SHIFT+C copies texture alignment and SHIFT+V pastes those, I toggles info (has a bug when gravity is on though), G toggles gravity, B toggles full brightness, M toggles middle textures, U toggles the Upper Unpegged linedef property, Middle mousebutton copies texture (or was that CTRL+C?), Right mousebutton pastes texture, DELETE removes a texture, I think thats about what you need.

ivanrolim said: I´m not trying to convert Doombuilder into a Duke3d Build

As you can see, it actually already is ;)

Wow, thanks for the walkthrough! :)
Well....it´s almost that, I´ll explain the golden point:

When I refer to ´page up´ or ´down´, I mean using them while pointing at the wall, rather than the ceiling.... in skycraper levels, it´s a pity to increase ceiling height until a certain level. You have to go up with it manually in order to keep seeing at it. In a true sector-over-sector approach, if there is a 2n floor at height 140 but a ceiling of the 1st floor at height 120, it will go up until 139, anything like that, movable if pointed at the wall (or the ceiling, provided we go up automatically with it to keep visualisation) :)

When decreasing the floor height, we could also be lowered, because we will be able to just press ´page down´ until the desired depth. Selecting manually the floor and ceiling numbers in 2D is a nice approach but not if we need to adjust ceilings right (need to enter 3d-mode many times) :/

For about Sidedefs....its texture really shows up when the proper name is set, but it will be a lot faster if we can see the texture names starting with the letter(s) we put (then the field pans down) like a menu to select. E.g: typing ´FL´ will show a menu with FLAT1, FLAT2....until FZ. Or better, the first texture (flat1) will be shown, and you could change it pressing left or right, browsing the nearby textures you want. (not need to make the panning feature). It´s not hard to implement :).

Anyway it´s a improvement. Not sooo urgent. But really appreciated in the next updates :)
Doombuilder is really a kick ass! :D

Why isn't this listed of freshmeat.net ???

Been looking for a doom mapper for linux

It can compile on linux, can't it ?

Well, then make that one more request. A source for linux, it's so hard to find a good map editor for linux

or a java version would work well.

It's going to be kinda hard to make a version of Doom Builder that would compile under linux without completely rewriting it. It uses Visual Basic first of all (Windows specific), and also uses Direct X for the 3D mode (also Windows specific).

So, yeah.. You're pretty much out of luck if you want to use Doom Builder in Linux. Of course, there are things that can allow for one to load some windows programs under Linux, like WINE or something like that.. I don't know crap about Linux so heh.

Never mind about wine, there is no converter out there to convert VB to C C++ ? Sounds like a script can do that, I'm sure there's one out there if not then maybe it's time to make one. Don't worry about the DirectX Linux users use OpenGL which is just as good if not maybe better.

As nice as doombuilder is, is there a way to see all the sectors that had been taken or not taken ?

Yes, the sector numbers, however I am editing a map and with so many lines it's hard to keep track of them. I wish to change a few because it doesn't make a complete sector or close polyline. I will have to change the sector of a "line" to make it a independent sector area. Other wise it may be apply to ones I don't want or it will remain open.

Any chance of a non fullscreen 3d edit mode? I don't want to be able to edit the map in 2d mode while the 3D preview is open but it would speed things up as it takes time for the video card to switch to fullscreen/change resolution. Just freeze editing in 2d mode if 3d is active.

Another thing that I think would be cool is a floating tool window that keeps track of all the line tags and the specials used. You could click on an item in the list and it would highlight the line/sector in question eg: Like this
Optionaly deleting the item in the list would remove the tag and special from that line/sector.

I was thinking about a windowed option for 3D mode yes.
No floating windows, they are only a pain, always in the way.

DaniJ said:

...it would speed things up as it takes time for the video card to switch to fullscreen/change resolution....

If you set the 3D mode to the same setting s as your desktop this won't happen (that includes bit-depth, resolution and refreshrate). The change will be instantanious.

However, I would also apreciate a non-fullscreen 3D preview window and then an option to go fullscreen when needed.

Does it scare anyone else that this thread has been going on semi-consistently for more than a year now?

sargebaldy said:

Why are some Doom II things no longer listed in the configurations? (79, 81, perhaps others...)

I screwed up during my copy/paste ritual when sprite previews were added. Its only in the version 1.66 beta release though, Ill make sure they are fixed before public release. Thanks for the warning ;)

EDIT:
Here are some screenshots on version 1.66, soon to be released:
http://www.codeimp.com/temp/spritepreview.jpg
http://www.codeimp.com/temp/windowedvideo.jpg