Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom Builder Builds Again

The forums are a pretty good place to find news, I find. Saves me from checking e-mail and sifting through various people who decide to email us maps or random statements about Doom 3 or politics or how to fix their toilets or something. At any rate, Doom Builder which has been all the rage for many editors recently, has been finalized to version 1.0 and the source code has been released. For anyone living under a rock here's a partial feature list:

• Editing in real-time 3D Mode! (like Duke Nukem 3D build)
  • Full Hexen and ZDoom support!
  • Editing modes Things, Vertices, Lines and Sectors for optimal editing flexibility.
  • Script editor for ACS, FraggleScript and Dehacked.
  • Game configurations to define what the editor will support.

Doom Builder is free of charge and the source is released under the GNU General Public License. Enjoy folks!

i have to remember to donate some money for it, but looking at my bank account...

Share balance	
Share ID	Description	Balance	Available Balance
00	        BASIC SAVINGS 	$ 14.49	$ 9.49
90	        FREE CHECKING 	$ 5.43	$ 5.43
i think i'll wait a bit.

have fun playing around with the building too, this sucker can do anything now. a single linedef can split sectors in two, you can build sectors around sectors, most everything references perfectly as long as you don't act like a complete retard.

a single linedef can split sectors in two

Multiple lines too, as long as you start at one vertex of your sector and end drawing at another, it does a simple split. The advanced split (draw a new sector completely over the sector to be splitten) still works too. You can draw clockwise AND counterclockwise.

A general rule to keep in mind when drawing/dragging stuff: Never cross a line.

yeah, he even added it (in one of the very last builds) so you can use multiple texture1 lumps in a zdoom or skulltag map :)

sargebaldy said:

yeah, he even added it (in one of the very last builds) so you can use multiple texture1 lumps in a zdoom or skulltag map :)

Holy shit, gherkin is the man :)

I still mess up the map when i try to make a sector inside a sector :-/

I have this:

+------------+    +------+
|            |    |      |
|            +----+      |
|            +----+      |
And want this:
|           /+----+      |
|          / |    |      |
|          | |    |      |
|          | |    |      |
|          \ |    |      |
|           \+----+      |
Could you please help?

Gherkin said:
A solve to my problem

DANKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^.^
(Thanks)

Maybee now you can exept a real cool level on the next newstuff roundup from the lion !
Dont exept architectional wonders but a good playable level ;)

So Long, The Werelion!

Gherkin said:

Should I be honest or judge it as a my-first-doom-map thing? :P

Use the FirstSingleplayerMapToBeeReleased thing ;)

Its nice for your first map ;) Keep mapping and watch other maps and youll get the feel for good architecture soon enough.

agh, rotating doesn't seem to work! i tried it with both linedefs and sectors, and both times it crashed with 'Run-time error 424': Object required. something tells me this could have used a week more of beta-testing :P

edit: oops, i should start reading up before posting :P

here's another one though, if you want to try tackling it... if you build as shown by these three steps, you get bad references.
http://oregonstate.edu/~lloydo/dberror1.PNG
http://oregonstate.edu/~lloydo/dberror2.PNG
http://oregonstate.edu/~lloydo/dberror3.PNG

i also have been having strange errors in hexen/zdoom-hexen/skulltag-hexen modes.. if you make a new thing, and give it the attributes 'cooperative', 'singleplayer', and 'deathmatch', close the thing dialog, open the thing dialog, close it, and open it again, those 3 flags are off again. and other ones will randomly turn on if they were set off... something very odd there. seems like it just resets all the flags.

In your 3 steps example, you're crossing that yellow line. Thats not allowed, thats drawing in 2 sectors at once.

Ill check out that weird Thing flags error.

hmm? it doesn't cross over the line, it splits the yellow line in two and moves on, but yeah it does go into two sectors. but why not have it just split the first sector in half after step 1 and split the second sector in half after step 2? that's what would happen if i stopped drawing after step 1 and then drew the line from step 2 in later.. but when you do it all continuously it doesn't let you.. which seems odd to me.

A computer cant predict if youre gona draw a full sector split (actually drawing sector inside sector) or a simple sector split by one/several lines. It cant split while you are drawing, because it doesnt know what you have in mind. When you end your drawing (rightclick) it will analyze what you did to see if it needs to split sector or make a complete new one by the polygon you drew.

yeah, it's true you could be adding linedefs for another purpose. i actually only add linedefs to split something up myself :P i'm aware the program would have no idea what you're trying to use the linedef for, but maybe if it wouldn't be too difficult if you could tell it.. say, adding a checkbox 'Adding linedef always splits sectors'? actually i guess it's not that annoying how it is. thanks for the clarification anyway.

hi Gherkin,

I just started to use ur builder, and as a newbie at editing I can tell you that it works great, it's very intuitive and boasts an easy interface, the 3D mode... mmmmmmmmmm.

What advantages does this Doom Builder have over certain programs say, Deth?

hey gherkin, i know this is yet another pain in your ass, but zdoom 48.cab also supports PNG images. if you try to look at these new textures in db, it crashes.

sargebaldy said:

hey gherkin, i know this is yet another pain in your ass, but zdoom 48.cab also supports PNG images. if you try to look at these new textures in db, it crashes.

There's a 48!? What other things does it do that 47 did not?