Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Twiztid

New frames

How do you use new frames that can be used in dehacked?
Iv seen this done in other wads but everytime i tried it didnt show up in dehacked.

The frames aren't new, they're other frames that have been replaced. For example the pain elemental respawn frames (720-725) or the frames from any thing that you're not using in your project. (in my case, quite a lot)

Yeeeeah... and the plasma bullet uses sprite frames. Did you mean Twizted? That's also sprite frames...

.....or maybe I'm just missing something, as I often do. :-/

In DeHackEd there are two things called 'frame'. One thing is the big list of frames that you get when you press F3. Another thing is when you want to change which animation frame of a sprite is displayed on a certain frame. Anyone still following that?

exile said:

In DeHackEd there are two things called 'frame'. One thing is the big list of frames that you get when you press F3. Another thing is when you want to change which animation frame of a sprite is displayed on a certain frame. Anyone still following that?

Heh, yeah I'm following it. But to be picky, in dehacked there are not really 2 frames because dehacked refers to frames, sprite number and sprite sub number.

The frames are limited in number and are the things The Ultimate DooMer was talking about.

The sprite number identifies a sprite set - eg 29 is POSS or 30 is SPOS or 39 is SARG...

Sprite Sub number identifies which particular stage of the animation of a sprite is being used - 0 is A as in POSSA, 1 is B as in POSSB etc.

Dehacked does not specify rotation numbers (the numbers used to identify which angle the sprite is drawn from) because Doom will use whichever angles are available. ie if the thing is only drawn from angle 0, it only has one picture in that "sprite sub number" but if it is drawn from many angles then it could have up to 8 pictures for a sprite sub number (at least in standard Doom).

More info?

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/doomsprites.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/doomsprites2.htm

Yes, also don't forget that the amount of sprites themselves is unlimited. For example, I have a death animation for a monster that goes past Z. So, I simply put in extra sprites under the same name as the sprite set for a decoration. i.e., the animation went like this: . . . SPOSZ, SPOS[, COLUB, COLUC . . ., and so on.

Heh. I believe if you switched the id numbers of the Shotgun and Super Shotgun it would work. Cyb did something tricky like this once, he should be able to help you better.

The easiest way to make enemies drop different items is to use scripting in a port such as ZDoom, Legacy, Eternity, etc.

(note: well you can definitely do in ZDoom, I'm just assuming the others let you do it too)

What NiGHTMARE said is the best way IMO. (See my Marine Assault level for an example).

However, if you dehack an item to use the frames of another item, you can get it to behave like that other item when picked up in most ports because Doom seems to use the frames concerned to dictate what an item will do.

eg, give the ammo clip the same initial frame as the Soul Sphere. All ammo clips (dropped or otherwise) will now not only look like Souls Spheres but will behave like them too (in any port that allows this feature).

Now I remember. Like Enjay said, give the Shotgun the Super Shotgun's frame. But, then go under the Super Shotgun and give it the Shotgun's frame. Now, when you place the Super Shotgun, you'll actually be placing a Shotgun, and when you put a Shotgun down, you'll be placing a Super Shotgun. This way you can still use both. Got it? Thanks to Cyb for this trick.

Grimm said:

Now, when you place the Super Shotgun, you'll actually be placing a Shotgun, and when you put a Shotgun down, you'll be placing a Super Shotgun.

And if you swap the editor numbers, too, you don't even have to bother with that.

OK it works now but can i make it so when the shotgun guy shoots it sounds like he's shooting the super shotgun.

Yep. Just give him the Super Shotgun firing sound, DSDSSHTGN, or somtin like that.

The way I like to do this is to get my enemy to fire 2 simultaneous shotgun blasts (to make it more powerful). Do this by making the first one have a duration of 0. Then use one of the code pointers that only play a sound (like the mancubus getting ready to fire sound) and put it immediately after the 2 shotgun pointers. Change the sound lump to sound like a super shotty (I usually make my own sound, adding on the loading clicks to the super shotgun blast) and remove the pointer from the mancubus. That way you can easily have shotgun and super shotgun guys in your level. There are other ways to achieve this, but this one works for me.