Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #152

Job said:

Cyb's map reminds me a lot of American McGee's Alice.

#include "..\levels\alice\alice.acs"

Nanami said:

Hm, maybe I should re-release Heart next week so people actually play it. ;)

Slip me a nice big bribe and I'll make it map of the week. ;)

If I reuploaded the wad for next week with no changes do you think someone else would review it? =P

I don't think so. We generally don't do rereleases like this. It's just one of those things where you have to be lucky and load your map(s) during a slow week. I made that mistake when I loaded that Crypts remake the same week when Community Chest was released. Few played it and no one commented on it in the thread.

Heh, yeah. No way a vanilla map can compete with Void. I should've uploaded next week, but UD wanted to review my level.

[5:55:34] <Nanami> I wish I had waited until next week to release all my wads.
[5:55:48] <Ganjo> y?
[5:55:52] * Russell shivers
[5:56:04] <Nanami> Because Void was released and that's all anyone's going to play.
[5:56:21] <Nanami> "Oh Void. Well I guess I'm done with /newstuff this week."
[5:56:32] <Russell> woooo
[5:56:48] <Nanami> I feel sorry for anyone who releases a wad when RTC is released.

It works in any limitless port, that's almost "vanilla" these days, because nobody wants to put up with VPOs.

Ichor said:

I don't think so. We generally don't do rereleases like this. It's just one of those things where you have to be lucky and load your map(s) during a slow week. I made that mistake when I loaded that Crypts remake the same week when Community Chest was released. Few played it and no one commented on it in the thread.

Welcome to hell. I thought id get more feedback from Blood Pentagram. Oh well thats the way it goes I guess. ;)

Heh, I've done it twice :P

I released Deliverance the same week as dwforums.wad, and now Redemption the same week as Void...

i haven't really had any major releases, but probably my biggest (wtc911) came out the same week as LTSD and got drowned out. shit happens.

although for my next release i think i'll wait for a friday when i see no other tough contenders in sight :P

Nanami said:

Let's start a club... Overlooked Mappers of the Newstuff Chronicles, OMNC.

LOL! I think I should actually download your map now.

Perhaps I'll just club everyone before uploading any other maps.

/me clubs Cyb first. ;P

Nah, I know people played my map. I'm glad to be rid of it really. I worked on it too damn long.

I have a problem with Void :-(
How do you jump the Area on the POTD?
I dont get it, i always fall in the "Void"

So Long, The Werelion!

Bastet Furry said:

I have a problem with Void :-(
How do you jump the Area on the POTD?
I dont get it, i always fall in the "Void"

So Long, The Werelion!

Using your jumping skills?

Jump over on the right wall fromas close as you can get to it; Take a running jump. From there run at the most angle you can to the other side, jumping wiit it. Not that hard really but save often. I saved like 8000 times on my first run through void.

The effect in Void is the exact kind of effect I was looking for to use in an idea of mine that I haven't gotten around to doing yet (although I would like mine to have a FLOOR!); may I have your permission to know how to make that kind of effect, Cyb?

EDIT: as far as getting across the void parts such as those, I just cheat and use the "Fly" console command ;)

Well, I managed to get two of my wads (the original releases of Operation: Lightning and Shadowcaster) both in the same week as Dark 7, even though they were released a few months apart. So they were both beaten firmly into the ground. I was half-expecting Dark 7 to come out again when I released LTSD, but luckily it didn't (although if it had come out I think I would've finished on top that time).

Single maps tend to get overlooked more, especially when a megawad or episode get released in the same week. If two of them end up together (like 2002ado/Nimrod), they both get lots of exposure.

sargebaldy said:

although for my next release i think i'll wait for a friday when i see no other tough contenders in sight :P

If you do that, it might not make it into that week's newstuff.(depending on the reviewer and how quickly Ty moves it from incoming)

SlayeR said:

Heh, I've done it twice :P

I released Deliverance the same week as dwforums.wad, and now Redemption the same week as Void...

Not to mention your ZHeretic map that faced Redux and Captain Mancubus in newstuff 100...

The Ultimate DooMer said:

If you do that, it might not make it into that week's newstuff.(depending on the reviewer and how quickly Ty moves it from incoming)

yeah but it's a risk worth taking :P

There's something I've noticed in a few of Cyb's maps now... regular enemies are completly different colours. I've been wondering... how do you change an enemies colour like that? They all use the same attack and it's impossible to ADD enemies without replacing them. How did that work?

cyber-menace said:

There's something I've noticed in a few of Cyb's maps now... regular enemies are completly different colours. I've been wondering... how do you change an enemies colour like that? They all use the same attack and it's impossible to ADD enemies without replacing them. How did that work?

ACS color translation. Besides color, ACS can also alter enemy health and speed if desired.

Python_Junkie said:

The effect in Void is the exact kind of effect I was looking for to use in an idea of mine that I haven't gotten around to doing yet (although I would like mine to have a FLOOR!); may I have your permission to know how to make that kind of effect, Cyb?

uh you'll have to specify an effect