Suicide

Suicide?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Suicide?

• Never seriously considered it
    • Seriously considered but never attempted
    • Attempted but failed
    • Attempted and succeeded

When I was younger thoughts crossed my mind especially after an especially abusive episode with my step dad, but I was younger then, and realize it doesn't help the situation really.

Speaking as a bipolar 2, I've considered it about a thousand different ways. [Un]Fortunately, I'm too much of a weenie when it comes to pain to go through with it.

DC

i'll say i seriously considered i guess. although thinking back i can't remember how seriously i considered it. nowadays i know i wouldn't kill myself, although i don't care enough about death to say, stop for traffic. i'm pretty carefree on the issue of death and i think that's good. no need to stress out about something so minor. if it ends it ends. what matters is how you spend your life while you have it.

Mancubus II said:

and realize it doesn't help the situation really.

Irrational conclusion. There is no way to tell whether or not suicide helps a certain predicament, and to what degree.

Never really seriously considered it. My life is dull but at least it's not a bad life.

I used to have a friend who talked about suicide all the time. I think she just did it for attention.

AndrewB said:

Irrational conclusion. There is no way to tell whether or not suicide helps a certain predicament, and to what degree.

Looking at it logically and assuming you're saying the "problem" is within oneself, then killing oneself would essentially solve the problem because the problem will no longer exist. Although it's usually the worst of any possible choices one could make given the situation.

How could suicide help a situation? Well, like Mancubus said, if one sees the problem as oneself, doing yourself in would solve the problem. However, it creates so many other problems that go with death. As far as I can tell, the only thing suicide does is cause more problems than it could possibly solve.

Suicide doesn't end problems it just pushes them off from you to whoever cared for you. And if you care about them then you shouldn't do it, even though it seems the decision is all yours it does impact others in a very very powerfull way.

Of course if you have terminal illness and the whole argument gets way deeper, so deep you can almost see AndrewB's point of view.

Suicide is a good idea if you have nothing else to do, but it's kinda impractical to take into effect. We are lazy animals after all, we can dream of a thousand ways to kill ourselves but hardly ever manage to pull any of those off.

Actually, flying off a high building might be fun.

*Splat!*

Well, maybe not for the guys who have to clean up...

Bloodshedder said:

As far as I can tell, the only thing suicide does is cause more problems than it could possibly solve.

No, you can't tell. That's the point.

I thought about it quite a bit a few years ago, but I snapped out of it. I had the knife in my hands a few times, but never actually used it on myself. I don't think I ever really wanted to die, I just wanted to be out of the situation I was in.

Had seriously thought about it, but never did it. As a matter of fact, that was around the beginning of this month.

myk said:

Suicide is a good idea if you have nothing else to do

Ultraviolet said:

Haha, sounds like a solution to boredom.

"yo mick, whatya doing this weekend?"
"aww man russ, not much going on really. think i'll kill myself, got nothing better to do."
"yeah the motor on my boat broke so i might just join you. better than sitting around the house bored all weekend."

Bloodshedder said:

Just what is it you're trying to argue here, oh wise man?

... that there is no way to know exactly what problems are solved through death. You cannot prove that suicide fixes nothing. It's like trying to prove that something doesn't exist.

I'm pretty sure everybody thinks about killing themselves once or twice, usually during puberty. I think it's one of those Darwinian selection processes.

AndrewB said:

There is no way to know exactly what problems are solved through death. You cannot prove that suicide fixes nothing. It's like trying to prove that something doesn't exist.

It really depends on who you're viewing the situation from. If you're viewing it in first person, i.e. you are the person committing suicide, of course you can't tell whether you solved a problem, created new problems, etc. because you're dead in the first place.

However, when viewed from another standpoint, such as friends/family/etc. of the deceased, the suicide causes some serious problems, namely, emotional distress, not to mention possible financial problems caused by having to pay for a funeral and whatnot. This, of course, doesn't apply when the suicide-ee, if you will, does truly not have anyone who cares about them. Most people who believe that indeed do have someone who would care if they died, because that situation only applies to some street hobo or something.

I have an idea. AndrewB, why don't you commit suicide, and in the next life we'll tell you if that solved any problems?

myk said:

Actually, flying off a high building might be fun.

*Splat!*

Well, maybe not for the guys who have to clean up...

It's a horrible cycle.

1) Man jumps off building, goes splat.
2) Cleaning man is upset about having to clean another dead bodies. Commits suicide.
3) Owner of cleaning company gets upset at the loss. Commits suicide.
4) Stock investers lose money. Commit suicide.
5) Friends and family of stock investers commit suicide.
6) Everyone in the world dies.

The moral of the story is, suicide kills.

I've slashed my wrists several times. Dunno if I wanted to die or not. I found out I'm not much of a bleeder though. The last time I did it though, I woke up on the floor with dried blood on my arms. After that, I decided to disconnect from the Doom community for a while then register for college. I was pretty happy from that point on for a while. Now that I'm in college though, the depression is back. :/ Not suicidal though, guess thats good.

The weird thing of it all is that my skin heals quickly and seamlessly, so I only have one scar from about a year of that shit, and its very faint.

<_Hyena_> These days people are too busy trying not to get killed by terrorists, nuclear missiles, or their own presidents to worry about suicide

I've never really considered it, because IMO it's quite a stupid idea, and a 'cowards way out' as such.

Just my opinion though.

I seriously consider it every day these days. But it's just a way out, and it leads to a place I don't want to go. Self-harm on the other hand, well, I'm carving up my arm as I'm typing this because it makes me feel better, takes away the other pain.

darknation said:

you'll get blood all over your keyboard man. stop that. it's unhygenic.

i doin't give a shit, i love christine but she doesn't want anything to do with me, i want to die i want to fucking die, it's so unfair i hate that stupid wanker stuart i fucking hate him

I've never really considered it because I believe that people (including myself) deserves to suffer, not to die.

No, really. When I am in a position where I feel I can never be able to justify my past record I don't believe I should die for this, but rather be tormented by the knowledge that I can never aspire to be a good man.

I am a pious self-loather and a self-destructive creep, but I am not suicidal.

cutting your arms won't help as a means of getting christine back, she's immune to that particular sympathy.

If you are really bent on winning her back, you can either slice your self into bacon or start figuring out a plan to fuck this stewart up and get the girl.

Get sociopathic. Hurting yourself sucks, hurting those who have hurt you in the first place is fun and a more productive way to deal with that psychological shit than with razor blades.