Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

Lucid dreaming

Disorder said:

The more you learn to become conscious of your dreams, the more you can control them. You can fly, talk to imaginary people and walk around in fantasy worlds. It's not all that easy, but it's worth reading about it. And practice makes perfect.

For the first time that I can remember, I achieved High Lucidity last night. I wonder if this thread was responsible for that :P

My family was on vacation and I had the house to myself. I wanted to spend this time alone, but there were nosy people constantly prowling around the outside of the house, including a few old gradeschool rivals. I had boarded up the doors & windows and unplugged the doorbell & phone because all these nosy people were becoming incredibly irritating. While I was in bed one morning, two of them broke in through the front door. I was awoken by the sound of them trashing the house. They were working their way down the hall toward my bedroom. I had crawled out of bed and laid on the floor with the intent of hiding under my bed, but that was the exact moment they broke into my room. They were moving fast, much like the infected ones in 28 Days Later. I tried to fake sleep, but they had overturned a desk and dropped some other furniture on top of me. It hurt enough that I had no choice but to drop the fake sleep plan and to try to get it off. One of them had a metal pipe and started attacking me. Fortunately, the furniture blocked the first few hits, but that was quickly knocked out of the way, leaving me completely defenseless. When I had totally paniced and thought I was at my end, I suddenly remembered Disorder's thread. Something about becoming conscious in a situation like then. Then I realized it - the real me was in bed and this was a dream. The blow landed, but I didn't feel anything. All pain had ceased. I breathed a sigh of relief and grinned as if I had just been given a new lease on life, not able to hold back the joy. Obviously this freaked out the attacker. I jumped up and turned the tables rather quickly, scaring them off after a few minutes of fighting. The event progressed exactly like the end of the Matrix, when Neo realized he couldn't be hurt and scared off the agents. Now that I was by myself and in control, I tried to rearrange the scenery and material composition of my surroundings. It was a real challenge, but I succeeded in some small things. After getting bored of that, I decided to warp to Paris and visit Julian. Being the jerk that I am, I summoned a massive hurricane on the city. Julian and I sat in lawn chairs on a 4-lane street surrounded by some medium-sized apartment buildings near the edge of the city, sipping some exotic drinks, and watched the destruction, knowing we were both safe no matter what happened. For whatever reason, Ling decided to join us. Arioch tried to join, but he got swept away and we never heard from him again. After the city had been wiped out, Julian and I said our goodbyes and I left to wake up.

Needless to say, I look forward to going to sleep again :P

WELL NICE OF YOU NOT TO INVITE MEH!!

/me leaves Lüt out of next lucid dream.

I have been able to change a few things in my dreams consciously before, but usually it's limited to a few mundane objcts and occurs near the end of the dream.

Since I've been reading about lucid dreaming I actually managed to remember most of my dreams again. Writing that stuff down helps. It doesn't really matter to me if I would get lucid or not. Just remembering those weird dreams is fun enough for the time being.

Astral Projection, is that something similar to what happened to me?

Anyone here ever experience Awareness of Sleep Paralysis? I dont know the full details, but it's a situation where you wake up and cant move. You will often either see or sense a malicious presence in the room, which is sometimes sitting on your chest. There's a rational explanation for it, but like I said, I dont remember what it is. I've experienced it though, and man is it horrible.

This has happened to me before, but usually it only lasts about five seconds. Once it lasted a little longer.

It helps greatly if you keep a journal of all your dreams.

Hell yeah. All the dreams I like are committed to memory, so ma journal is basically just a reminder. (I even remember some of the more medicore ones; I've come to the realization that I have an incredible memory. Also interesting is that a lot of times I remmeber what I was doing before and after a dream.) Anyway, most of my dreams are mainly ones with strong emotions running thorugh them, if you follow me. I almost never have cool dreams where I'm actually in a game or somesuch, which has always massively dissapointed me. I did dream that Hell on Earth had come to my neighborhood, though. Lost some family but ne'er even killed a demon . . . damn Cyberdemons.

Once I had this nightmare a long time ago that I went over my friends house with my Dad. No one was home, but my Dad said we could go in anyway. I didn't want to, but he pressured me into it. As it turned out, there were freakin' aliens in the house, and what resulted was the most intense, scary dream I have ever had; it could easily be turned into a movie. It was definately abnormally long. Anyway, eventually I got out of the house, and I was with a buncha other "survivors" of teh alien attack. Some trap killed us all, though. But . . . a few years later, I had the same nightmare again, but this time right at the part with the trap, I remembered that I had had this dream before, so I told everyone and we avoided it. Then we all died five minutes later, which goes with Grazza's, "You can't change the general outcome" statement, I guess. Anyway, I think that counts for lucidity.

Also, I've had dreams where outside stimuli leaked in. One that sticks out in my mind is one I had a long, LONG time ago where my alarm clock went off, and I heard it three times in ma dream before wakin'.

I have "High Lucid Dreaming" all the time. Heh, it rocks. Sometimes I even think of my dreams being the Matrix and I'm Neo, and needless to say, I can do a whole lot of cool stuff!

Has anyone ever had an experience where you're drifting into sleep, and your having a partial dream, and in it you start to fall, and right when you hit the ground, your body twitches, so it feels like you jumped? I used to be able to get myself to do that. Also, one time I was falling asleep, and my head jerks up like someones done an upper-punch to my chin. I still haven't figured that one out.

I have experienced High Lucidity a few times, but usually after realizing that I'm in a dream I wake up. It's like bringing the logical, rational part of my brain into the dream world, interrupts the state of mind that allows me to believe the crazy shit that happens in them, forcing me to wake up. Very frustrating:(
There was only one dream that I remember where I became lucid and didn't wake up right after. I was in a supermarket, grocery shopping when I realized I was dreaming ( I think I saw a man-sized bunny plush toy running around) and I just started trashing everything in sight:D Lotsa fun.
I'll browse through those sites and see if I can find some tips, I also noticed that thinking about your dreams, or dreaming, during the day, helps you remember your dreams much better later on.

Oh, and one more thing. Has anyone experienced this? You're lying in bed, almost asleep, but still quite concious. All of a sudden your body feels like it's in freefall and you grab your bed as if clinging to dear life, and the feeling passes immediately. I've only experienced this like 5 or 6 times in my whole life, but it feels absolutely crazy. I really want to see what happens if I don't grab the bed and just let it go on, but it's so unexpected that you can't help the reflex to grab on to something.

I also noticed that thinking about your dreams, or dreaming, during the day, helps you remember your dreams much better later on.

Yep. Usually all I have to do is reflect on the dream for a few minutes after I wake up and I'll never forget it.

All of a sudden your body feels like it's in freefall and you grab your bed as if clinging to dear life, and the feeling passes immediately

i'm growing to love that, It gives me such a kick sometimes. Recently my dreams have begun to become more coherent and I find it easier to remember them, but this often leads to me falling back asleep five of six times because they're just too damn cool to let slip. A few weeks ago during a really hectic and fun few weeks I had an excellent dream involving this girl that lasted for seven hours, and although I knew it was a dream in several places I couldn't exactly control it. It tripped along nicely without my help though. But I don't get these cool-shit dreams about Doom either so much. However one time I dreamt of a Tyranid invasion. That was some fucking scary shit! I think it ended with a Lictor un-camoflaging itself. I was still on a rush a minute or so after waking up.

Grimm said:

Yep. Usually all I have to do is reflect on the dream for a few minutes after I wake up and I'll never forget it.

Same thing here. I have about 100 dreams stored in my memory in as good of a condition as they were when I woke up that morning.

insertwackynamehere said:

Has anyone ever had an experience where you're drifting into sleep, and your having a partial dream, and in it you start to fall, and right when you hit the ground, your body twitches, so it feels like you jumped? I used to be able to get myself to do that. Also, one time I was falling asleep, and my head jerks up like someones done an upper-punch to my chin. I still haven't figured that one out.

Sounds like sleep spasms, which is actually quite common according to what I've read. I've gone through bouts of that myself.

I get that falling thing happening to me all too often. It's annoying.

I've only had two occasions in my life where I was aware of the sleep paralysis when I woke up. The first was when I was 8 so it really scared me because I woke up from a nightmare and wasn't able to scream for my mom. The second time was about two years ago so I knew what it was and thought it was kind of neat.

I get more than my fair share of high lucidity with my dreams. I routinely realize I'm dreaming and either start to show off by flying around or go for the nearest attractive woman. Funny how that almost never works anyway though. I recall one where I even started having a conversation with the woman in my dream and I was complaining how I'd probably wake up soon. She bought me coffee. :)

Those dreams where you wake up into another dream are often scary. I often have them with three or four levels. The most recent one I had even had me switching between being different people.

The other kind of dream I get often enough are the ones I call clone dreams. These are like that old Star Trek episode where Captain Kirk gets split into his passive and aggressive sides. In my dreams it always happens where there are two versions of some woman I know. In one case there were two versions of my girlfriend and I had to choose between them. That dream was rather heart-wrenching. :(

When I was younger I used to be able to control my dreams and know that I was sleeping. In fact, I even used to be able to wake myself up (sometimes by accident, which made me mad).

These days, I have really weird dreams, but haven't had any where I've had any sort of control in years. It's sad really... I miss being younger. =(

Nanami said:

When I was younger I used to be able to control my dreams and know that I was sleeping. In fact, I even used to be able to wake myself up (sometimes by accident, which made me mad).

I had a similar thing when I was younger - I'd do it while awake, and I would actually be able to see, smell and feel the world around me. I couldn't really have control over the world I entered, but I did with the choices I could make in it. I'd go on these brilliant adventures littered with sex and violence (in the kiddie defeating evil kind of way) for about an hour a day. Then one day I just couldn't do it any more, something had shifted and changed in my head, making this kind of experience impossible.

Hmm, ive got low lucidity a few times, like i get attacked by a ghost or an alien in the dream, which makes me 'jump', but when i do i kick the wooden ends of the bed or the radiator, and wake up from the pain XD.

Sometimes i also get woken up cause the dream pisses me off XD, like last night, i had travelled back to the time of elizabeth the first, and i was "Inventing" things like steel, steam-powered ships XD, anyway we had gone over to france and started fitting up a ship with steam engines, but as we set off back to england two spanish ships came along, and i was going "full speed ahead!" because the cannons hadnt been put in yet, and if the ship was captured the spanish would steal the technology, so anyway even though we flew across the english channel in like a minute (even today, the fastest catamaran ships take about half an hour XD) i thought it was too slow, and i realised it was because the steam engine hadnt been "connected" to screw propellors yet, so i went into a store room from a totally different dream i had when i was really young (thats been happening a lot to my dreams recently too, like i see my old dreams on TV in my new dreams XD) and tried to find stuff to make them out of, when some bloke attacked me because i had a transsexual friend (who had suddenly been called into existance for no reason whatsoever), and he was about to stab me and i was thinking "subhuman nazi filth like you deserve a good kicking!", then woke up from anger XD

Hm, anybody find they have dreams which "predict the future"?, like in the dream, youre expecting a phone call, then your alarm clock goes off. Or you see a bomb falling, then someone slams a door just as it explodes...wierd XD

deathbringer said:

Hm, anybody find they have dreams which "predict the future"?, like in the dream, youre expecting a phone call, then your alarm clock goes off. Or you see a bomb falling, then someone slams a door just as it explodes...wierd XD

Yeah, I know. That is weird.

deathbringer said:

I get déjà vu all the time. During the day thing will happen that make me think "Hey... did I dream about this, or did I do this before?" Usually I can trace it back to a dream I had.

Awww, I can only remember about 1-2 dreams a year. Never lucid.

Though as long as this is a dream thread: Last week I dreamed I got food poisoning and the doctor told me I'd die in 3 days. On the third day, I was taking a walk to look at nature, and I felt really sleepy. Suddenly a Tony Hawk's Underground orange pop up window popped up telling me my body could no longer produce enough fluids, it asked if I wanted to try to keep going or just give it up. So I picked give it up, cause this would be a nice place to die, amidst all this nature. Then I kinda started getting dizzy, and I saw everything go up before everything faded out. Then everything was cold and I faded in again, I was drifting on my belly in a creek. There were a few people watching me. I blinked a few times, and faded out again. Then everything faded back in, and somebody was on the morning announcements at school, telling everybody never to forget about me, and then there was an outrageously long moment of silence, and then there were a few cries and sniffs. Then the dream ended. I woke up in bed and was startled. Was the whole thing a dream, or just the dying part? What could I remember of the past 3 days? It seemed so real! Slowly I decided it was all a dream. I thought about it for a while, and got out of bed to go to school.

Yeah, so, good dream there.

I had a dream last night where I grew a really big bushy beard. I recall that in my dream it looked and felt like the real thing. The dream was so real feeling I woke up and immediately felt my face to see if the beard was still there, but instead I only had my five days' worth of stubble. :\

insertwackynamehere said:

Yeah, I know. That is weird.

Yeah, those dreams are weird. I still can't think of a decent explanation for some of them. Best I can come up with is the sleeping brain has a really awesome reaction time for stuff like that. Would also explain how TV dialog gets incorporated into my dreams if I fall asleep on the couch.

I love having vivid dreams about women. Preferrably minus the sex though. Those dreams get too entangled with that and messed up. Women are still some of the best things in dreams though, although I like a good flying dream too.

I haven't had a flying dream in a long, long time. Last time I had one was like 6 years ago, and I was hang gliding. Quite cool.

pritch said:

Yeah I've incorporated the alarm clock into my dream before. I think it must be the brain's way of saying it's not done with dreaming yet, leave it alone.

Actually it's just a natural reaction to external noise... the nature of which determines the effect it will produce. One time, the sound of my dog wining mournfully at the foot of my bed caused the boss of the 3rd level in Splatterhouse 3 for Sega Genesis to enter my dream and frantically dash to and fro, annoyingly blocking my path to a destination I cannot recall.

The most lucid dream I have ever had occurred several months ago - I was floating down a perfectly straight two-lane highway through a coniferous forest. About 5 feet from each side of the road was the linear, impassable threshold of the trees. I was in constant forward motion. It was almost as if the world around me was moving as I floated freely, much like the appearence of an old racing game like Rad Racer for NES. The road never curved and I couldn't go much higher than 25 to 30 feet. I was moving at about 50 or 60 MPH, and there was a 5-foot-in-diameter beach ball floating in front of me. Every time I came close enough, I would clench my fists together like you do in volleyball and bump it forward. Then it would bounce around the perimeter of my restrictions until I came close enough for the next hit, which I would constantly have to shift my position to do. After several fun, dream-length minutes, I suddenly forgot about the ball and managed to float about 100 feet above the trees and looked over a neverending landscape of pines and evergreens with the one road, stretching on as far as I could see. That's when I woke up.

fuck that explained everything pretty much
in all my dreams i walk around conciously talking to people, doing stuff, etc.

its all in pretty vivid colour but no smells or noises. the one i remember the most would be one where i was wrongly convicted of a crime and me and my friends were put undersea in some kinda tower thing (kinda like the one in "deep blue sea") to mine the rocks until we died. a big electric worm thing came and freed us and i was the only one to survive. i lived in hiding until a cop recognized me (in this world the police were VERY corrupt and everyone hated them) from that moment on i was on the run and hid in peoples homes, etc. staying just one step ahed of the pigs until i got to some gorge where i jumped into the raging river, winding up at an unused execution place with an electric chair that didn't work. then i woke up. very cool shit.

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream." -- Edgar Allan Poe

And to give my input, yes, I've had a lucid dream. I remember "controlling" the events of the dream.. rewinding what happened whenever I didn't like it and replaying it from a certain point, doing something different. It was great.. :-)

I fell asleep listening to Chatterbox on GTA3 and I dremed I was talking to this chick about her Mybotzu (SP) Monstrosity. It was a hideous car, looked like a Jeep Cherokee.

Flying dreams are the best, when I wake up I think I still can. : ( Kind of a let down.