Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mivalekan

Zdoom is brokeded

My zdoom launcher doesn't want to load custom Pwads. I don't know why, I try to launch a game but it brings me to level 1 of doom 2. I also dont know how to load Pwads through just Zdoom.exe. What do I doooooo? XO

Not familiar with the launcher, probably because loading wads without it is quite simple. Just run zdoom with the -file command line, like so:

zdoom.exe -file pwad.wad

Ooookay. Tried it your way. It works as far as the title goes, I loaded up caverns of darkness. Okay everything is fine and dandy... till i hit the difficulty Ultra-violence. After that it does the screen melt thing and i'm in the regular doom 2 map 01 level. I warped around with idclev and couldn't find any COD maps... What's up with that? :/

Right click on wad, select "properties", under "General" tab "Opens with", click the radio button "Change.." and Browse to ZDoom.exe. Now whenever you double click a wad ZDoom will run it for you.

Nice, but limited to being only able the one wad and no dehs.

Really, command line is the way to go.

Okay I tried the zdoom -file COD.wad -file codlev.wad it works except when i select a difficulty, the game crashes and an error pops up saying "R_TexutreNumForName: TRAN50 not found"... :/

It's not:

zdoom -file cod.wad -file codlev.wad

Instead, it's:

zdoom -file cod.wad codlev.wad

In other words, remove that second '-file'.

Caverns of Darkness has its own engine (based on Boom/MBF and closely related to Eternity), and isn't supposed to work properly with anything else.

I was about to say it but Grazza beat me to it. Caverns of Darkness will not work with ZDoom. It has a custom engine, based on some sort of MBF codebase (DOS Eternity?), programmed by Joel Murdoch.

I tried it with ZDoom (48) and it worked just fine. Of course, I only tried playing the first level.

Bloodshedder said:

It has a custom engine, based on some sort of MBF codebase (DOS Eternity?), programmed by Joel Murdoch.

Yes, the engine is based on DOS Eternity. The COD engine supports a lot of custom features in the project which require that specific engine. They're mostly subtle things and fine details you won't notice at first (new triggers, new sector types, new enemies, a new weapon, changes to the level progression order and all of the intermission texts), but they're there. You could play with ZDoom and check out all the architecture and probably have no trouble completing it from beginning to end, but if you appreciate the finer details in games then I highly recommend trying to run COD with its proper engine.

I remember there being some discussion at the time about this. As I recall, it runs OK to start with (though some things don't look as intended) and I'm sure some pretty fundamental things were meant to go awry later on.

Edit: I found this thread.

Lüt said:

Yes, the engine is based on DOS Eternity. The COD engine supports a lot of custom features in the project which require that specific engine. They're mostly subtle things and fine details you won't notice at first (new triggers, new sector types, new enemies, a new weapon, changes to the level progression order and all of the intermission texts), but they're there. You could play with ZDoom and check out all the architecture and probably have no trouble completing it from beginning to end, but if you appreciate the finer details in games then I highly recommend trying to run COD with its proper engine.

There are exactly 2 new triggers (both affect lighting so nobody will miss them), 2 new sector types (instant death and a healing sector) but both are used in a way that probably nobody will ever notice them.
The rest of the new stuff are a few new monsters (minor modifications of some originals) with some new action functions. All in all this stuff could probably be ported in a day into ZDoom. I'll try that as soon as the next version comes out. The current one contains a small bug that prevents a Boom trick that is being used in one level from working.

Sphagne said:

You can also omit the "-file" part.

Ditto for the ".wad" part, i.e. this would work fine:

zdoom cod codlev

Joel and I are supposed to cooperate on getting CoD working in regular Eternity eventually, but it's up to him as to when we start, and I'm too busy with other stuff right now (EDF stuff is still going in, plus some of the Millennium features we're absorbing).

Some of the stuff Joel had to hardcode back then can be done easily now through editing avenues (intertexts, for example). Hopefully the rest of that stuff will be absorbable as code in the main engine itself.

Edit: BTW, COD.EXE is a custom build of Eternity v3.29 dev beta 5. It is quite unstable :/