Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cactus

hexen leaf into zdoom

I was wondering how can i do that
,it s cool and make a level more detaillled.
Is it scripting?

Nope. The leaves in Hexen are a special mapspot typically placed on the same spot of certain trees. The direction the mapspot is facing determines the general direction the leaves will blow around.

hey Julian,are you doing?, one day come eat some pizza at home; is eternity room over room released?

Hichor,Hum, Can I use this map spots in doom using zdoom,or....zhexen?
is zdoom and zhexen identic?

cactus said:
hey Julian,are you doing?, one day come eat some pizza at home; is eternity room over room released?

Sadly enough, it isn't. I take the invitation for a pizza tho ;)

cactus said:
Hu Julian ,nice pig by the way, how to upload in /newstuff?

Thanks... I just stole it. Now for /newstuff, we have a faq you know :P

If someone can use Hexen monsters in Doom maps, I suppose it's possible to use leaf spots as well. However, you're going to have to add the leaf sprites in order to see them while playing the map.

That's the problem with adding new things in ZDoom - for some things it takes forever to extract all the sprites and sounds and then put them in your level.

WadAuthor most likely.

Oh yeah, you may want to include those two big leafy trees from Hexen to add to the effect.

I ,freshly configured and installed Wadauthor,but have no clue to add the leaf spot :D

Well, for that you'll have to ask someone who has edited with ZDoom before, like Cyb.

Actually, I have no idea either, heheh.

you can't add the leaf spot right off in a doom game, you need to spawn it with a script. After you've extracted all the sprites and put them in a wad place a mapspot wherever you want the leafs to spawn and give it a tid, then in the scripts editor in an open script:

spawnspot("LeafSpawner", mapspot_tid, new_tid);
setthingspecial(new_tid, 0, speed, angle, freq, duration, 0);
where mapspot_tid is the tid of the mapspot, new_tid is the tid you give the spawner. spawnspot() also takes an angle param but it's not needed in this case. the next line sets the arguments of the leaf spawner (so new_tid should be the same value as you gave it the previous line). I'm not 100% sure those are the correct arguments for the leaf spawner as my hexen wcf seems to be missing the leaf spawner and the zdoom source code isn't overly well commented when it comes to the leaf spawner. anybody else feel free to correct the leaf spawner args.

I don't believe there are any special arguments for the leaf spawners. The direction of the blowing leaves is determined by the direction the leaf spawner spot is facing.

I have certainly spawned the leaf spawner without giving it any extra parameters and it seems to work just as I wanted it to. The bat spawner, now that's a different story. It needs the extra parameters.

alrighty then change those two lines to simply:

spawnspot("LeafSpawner", mapspot_tid, 0, angle);
angle being the direction you want them leafies to blow

eerrr......I am a top newbie, so when you say "new tid"
"first tid" : what i got to do put the tag number?
like "0" this ??

cactus said:

like "0" this ??

Things don't have tags, they have tids. In the end it's the same, however. Both serve to identify a group of objects for a function to execure. One's for sectors the other for things. (and for lines they are called Id's if you want to name it properly.)

cactus said:

like "0" this ??

er, okay, I'm now going to assume you don't know anything about zdoom editing, just for the sake of not having a lot of questions, hopefully this will answer everything you need to know:

first off zdoom maps are not in the same format as doom maps, they're in hexen format. I don't know if your map is in hexen format, but if it's not then you can't have hexen stuff in it. However there is a conversion util you can download (zdoom.org on the downloads page, get the editing package, the specific util is called zwadconv), OR you can simply make your map in doom format and then copy it all and paste it into a new hexen format map. to start a map in hexen format in wadauthor you simply select the proper config, namely a zdoom config (if you don't have one, grab it here: http://doom.vect.org:8080/acs/zdoom2.wcf ).

Note that if you would rather edit in doom format (since it's easier to understand I think) then you can just make your map as normal and then convert it after and add whatever zdoom stuff you want.

OKAY so now that your map is in hexen format you open up the script editor (right click the map so that nothing is selected and a menu comes up, and click 'Scripts'). Now in the scripts editor, if you don't already have any scripts, put the following:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 100 OPEN
{
   spawnspot(
   "LeafSpawner", /*spawned thing*/
   1, /* mapspot_tid */
   0, /*new_tid*/
   0); /* angle */
}
now in your map you need to place a mapspot with mapspot_tid as the tid, for this example I have chosen 1 as the tid of the mapspot, but yours may differ.

setting the tid of a thing is fairly simple:

in that case the tid of this mapspot is 86 but it can be set to pretty much any number you want.

as long as that tid has the same number as the second argument in the script above (the one labled /* mapspot_tid */) then the leaf spawner will spawn there and work correctly.

okay cyb, thanks a lot that was very clear,
now how to declare the sprite to spawn ???
I got the sprite from hexen but don't know how to include it has spawned.Of course I suppose it must be included via wintex at first, but,...That s all.

Thanks again for the mini tutorial :D

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean spawn the actual leafs or do you mean putting the sprites in the wad? the names of the sprites in your wad should match those same entries in hexen.wad, so keep the names though you will have to put them in the doom palette. the easiest way to do that would be to simply copy them in hexen.wad (highlight and them hit 'copy entries' in one of the menus, then open up your wad and click 'paste entries' in the same menu)

if you meant spawning the leafs, then that script I posted will do that, though if you don't have the proper sprites loaded then you won't be able to see them...

The leaf spawner automatically spawns the correct sprites. To get them, export all the LEF1, LEF2 and LEF3 sprites from Hexen.wad, load in the doom palette to make them look better (a number of ways to do that) and include them in your WAD between normal sprite markers (S_START S_END or SS_START and SS_END).

The quickest way I find to convert a number of graphics from one game to another is to use DeePsea. Export all the leaf sprites to one WAD using the DeePSea export function (under F7) with grouping on. Change to a doom project and load your newly created WAD. Go into the DeePsea graphics editor (also under F7) click the "convert texture" button and pick Hexen as the original game. Then click save all and all the graphics will be converted to the doom palette.

Edit: Gah! Cyb beat me.

Ho my goshhh this is funking working!!!
Thanks a lot Cyb and Enjay , you brave doom veterans !!!!

Heh those bats in Hexen are cool. You're like "wtf?? ack!", and you have bats all around you. It would have been more cool if the bats bit/scratched you as they flew by though ;) 1 or 2 damage per bat, I figure :->

Yeah I love bats from hexen, especially when you freeze it on flight
and then they crash to lava :D