Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vile

Heretic Episode 3, Skill 5

Recorded using ZDoom 2.0.50. The following comments are taken from the text file to save time, I should be studying ATM:

"I believe my math was right, but anyway, I have to say recording in zdoom is pretty awesome. Everything is just so smooth now. :)

I went through the first 3 levels as fast as I could, but afterwards I started to take my time when I needed to clear out some tricky rooms of their occupants, especially in later levels where the Maulotaurs come in. This was my first time completing the final level and it was a mess, eventually I was just catching glimpses of D'Sparil through the hail of purple energy with his bloody teleportation, but it beats the episoder enders of Doom, IMO. Enjoy! :)"

NOTE: I had it desync once, but I managed to recreate it because I was watching it in a window. When clicked on another program, the demo moves to the back and pauses until you click on it, but it will cause the demo to go out of sync. Nothing to worry about if you don't run it in a window, but still something to be aware of.

hep3sk5.zip

Wow, Incredible! Pretty hectic but exciting final fight against D'Sparil. That must have been a really hard task to do, doing all of Episode 3 on Skill 5.

I give this five thumbs up.

Yeah it was nasty, the first time I got to that level, the biggest mistake I made was changing direction as I ran around the outside of the arena... right into oncoming traffic. Poor Corvus didn't make it through that purple barrage.

Kinda jumping all over with the recordings, I said I'd do more runs for slayer, then I jumped games entirely. If you have any suggestions for runs let me know... I wonder if Hexen demos are possible. A full game run, maybe...

Otherwise I might attempt further heretic episodes. Completing all 5 would be interesting, maybe... I dunno, you tell me. I can try to record anything but I need to know what people want to see. :)

Vile said:

If you have any suggestions for runs let me know...

That's quite an invitation, though I hesitate to suggest anything in case it distracts you from something even better (a full Hexen run sounds like an incredible idea). Also, I'm not sure if you're looking to run familiar maps or ones where you need to work out a route from scratch.

Still, some thoughts...
Equinox (full run? might take too long?)
Doom Resurrection (since you seem happy to record with zdoom)
Doom2000 (Hub 1 of Daedalus, released 12-31-99 - might be a nice idea in the run-up to the full release)
Dark 7 (or any of the other wads by the same authors) - full run should be OK

If I considered a Hexen run it might have to be skill 4. I tried zdoom earlier and for some reason, skill 5 monsters don't move as fast as they should, instead they move like any other skill. (and if it doesn't desync..)

EDIT: I notice monsters like Chaos Serpents fire at the rate they should, but still, maybe consistency is better.

Vile, you should attempt a Skill 4 (Smite Meister) Max run through Heretic's first episode, post haste. I'd love to see it.

I'd rather do skill 5, to keep the movies together. I hope that's even better. :)

It doesn't matter what skill, I'd just like to see it :)
I remember watching a WHeretic Heretic E1 speedrun on skill 4. Unfortunately, the demo sucked, since it had to be run with WHeretic, which coincidentally, sucked.

I've noticed that the demo desyncs with the new zdoom versions (already, of course) but i'm gonna continue recording the episodes with 2.0.50 to keep them together, although the map graphics show up properly in the new version (or maybe I can redo this one later on with the new version ? :).