Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Atum Ra

Sprites!!!!

I am interested in helping with Sprites but I have the artistic ability but no idea how to make sprites....is there some kind of tutorial or wot not?

The best way to make sprites, if you are familiar with the tools, would be to create 3D models and render them. The second option is to draw them freehand, either on paper that you scan or directly with the computer. Either way, you'll have to do a lot of pixel editing to make the sprites look good.

"Need to know how to make sprites" is a pretty broad question though. What exactly is it that you want to know? Do you need info on how to draw the graphics, how Doom's animation system works, how the coloring works or something else? It'd help if you were more specific.

You can find two tutorials on weapons by Scuba Steve here.

i've never been a big fan of the 3d model -> sprite approach. scuba should put together some sort of monster tutorial too.

sargebaldy said:

i've never been a big fan of the 3d model -> sprite approach. scuba should put together some sort of monster tutorial too.

Perhaps because you've only seen crappy renders?

The Doom sprites (for example) were modeled and digitized, not drawn. Sure, there's a difference between digital and physical modeling, but it doesn't matter in the hands of the right artist with access to the right tech.

where can i read up on everything that needs to be known?
I can draw freehand but know nothing in the ways of sprite creation.
Basically i need to learn it all. Consider me a complete nOOb.

Frederik's right. I'm not opposed to 3D models.. just poorly crafted 3D models. Yes, the doom monsters are models... but they were brought in and recoloured and touched up with care as to try and make them feel professional. When someone usually makes 3D models, they just model and import screenshots. The pallete doesn't line up, there are horrible aliasing problems, and they look generally blocky. If someone touched over a model image... and did a decent job, I wouldn't mind.