Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JangoFett

Bots

An automatic, simulated player, to allow you to play deathmatches or co-op games against (or with) fake players. So you don't have to find real people to play against. Unfortunately, they are never as good or as random as a real human opponent will be, but some can be very good.

In earlier times (and still), a "bot" was someone using an application or extension to the game which gave the user some sort of advantage over the others (as in, dodging movement, auto aiming at targets, auto firing, etc). It is considered cheating.

Nowadays, games, and modern doom engines too, have simulated players, controlled by the computer, that you can put in your game to play against. This kind of "bot" tries to simulate a real opponent (or teammate in cooperative) as if you were playing multiplayer. Read the engine's documentation to get to know if it has these kind of bots and how to use them.

EDIT: Aight, like enjay said ;)

Deathmatch is your skill against others, rampaging through a level, a mean keen killingmachine.
Co-op is some guys getting all oiled up and stripped to the waist, and walking around a level holding hands.

Where can I get bots to practice with?
Been a while since I played DM Doom. Playing Unreal Tourn 2003.
I only have UD.
Front end to play with also. TIA.

You can get the latest Doombot 5.1 from the idgames archive. Mind you, the fucker is tough but I presume not as tough as some real players.

Legacy has bots, you can get it from here.

Older versions of Skulltag have great bots, you can get it here.

ZDoom also has bots and you can get it here.

I recommend you try atleast Legacy and Skulltag out and see which one you prefer. I use both myself.