Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mivalekan

Some helpful tips vs monsters in doom!

Just a small topic with tips for the less skilled doom players. I noticed some people have trouble with certain monsters, and maybe these tips will come in handy? :)

(I was very bored when writing this so don't hate me :( )
These tips are more for ultra-violence difficulty :O

Pistol dood (You know what i'm talking about): Psh. Pushovers. Use your pistols, or better yet, fists/chainsaw to conserve ammo. Even in large groups they are chopped down easy. NEXT! :O

Shotgun guy: Same as first, cept use a pistol cuz their shotgun hurts. :(

Chaingunner dood (Named Clyde if you've read the books): Always. ALWAYS pick these guys off first or they'll mow you down right quick. :/ I find the chaingun works best on them.

Imp: Simple. Stronger than the pistol doods but weaker than the shotgun guys. Just use your pistol, chaingun, or trusty boomstick to kill these suckers.

Demons: Wow, these guys are so simple to beat considering how much they can take. Even using your fists is effective. Just run in and punch them and quickly back off, too hard for them to hit you :).

Inviso Demon: Same as above, but are much harder to see in dark places.

Cacodemon: My personal favorite monster. Just so fun to shoot down. Well, just avoid their balls of plasma or whatever and blast them with a few shotgun/super shotgun rounds. Piece of cake.

Hell knight: The big ammo-wasters. 3 rockets/super shotgun, 1 whole BFG shot (sometimes they survive!), some 300 bullets :O. Just run around these guys and keep your distance.

Baron of Hell: Same as above, but can take more hits.

Pain elemental: These things are easy if you can get in their face. Just stand in their face and they cant shoot lost souls at you. NEVER use your rocket launcher on them. Chances are a lost soul will zoom at you right as you fire and you'll end up blowing yourself up. Use the super shotgun or machinegun :)

Revanent: These guys take some good ol' army maneuverin to beat without getting hurt. When fighting these, strafing is your best friend. They're easy to fight until they fire that homing rocket. When they fire it, run behind a pillar or trick it to hit the wall.
Couple Sshotgun shells should kill 'em. And kill 'em dead too.

Arch Vile: Nasty suckers. Painful attack and they can revive their dead allies. Not too hard to kill though. When the flames flare over your screen, run around a corner or behind something. That'll make it dissapear :D Kill them off quick before they raise TOO many of their dead friends.

Lost soul: Easy to kill. Just use your shotgun or chaingun.

Arachnatron: Easily killed, just use the super shotgun, and dodge the plasma shots :o

Spider mastermind: This guy will mow you down really quick unless you have some cover. Rockets, plasma rifle, and BFG suggested. It's big and slow, so don't worry too much about missing.

Cyberdemon: :( Tough. Ouch. Oof. More life than the spider mastermind, and rockets that will kill you in 1 hit if you have no armor. BFG highly recommended. If you dont have one, use rockets or plasma rifle. If you dont have those, use super shotgun. If no super shotgun... then it's time use your fists! RAWWWRR!!!

Spider mastermind & Cyberdemon: Wow, these two in a pair makes fighting them 100x easier. Get the mastermind to start shooting at you, and run around in the way of the cyberdemon so it hits the cyberdemon. They should start fighting. That never gets old :D

Well, that's all i got. 90% of you on this forum are probably doom GODS though. So you probably won't need to take the time to read this :) But for those less skilled or otherwise new people to doom, this MAY be helpful. I was really bored when i did this >.>

Let the FLAMING BEGIN!

Well not really flaming, it's nice to see that you want to share your strategies with others, though the assumption about doom knowledge on the forums is that everyone is very familiar with the games and have developed strategies beyond what can be summed up in a few sentences, depending on the situation, weapon used or required to use, etc. In summation, the cumulated experience doesn't have much need for the basics anymore. :)

Also, we like to hear opinions, given they are worth hearing (appropriate, not just silly) so feel free to express yourself.

Don't ever call them Clydes. Anyway, as for the monsters:

Zombieguy - A pistol shot or two will kill them. Use your fists to conserve ammo.
Shotgunguy - Use a pistol only if you don't have a shotgun. After that, use the shotgun. I usually takes one shot to kill them, and they drop four shells. In groups, try to take out two or three of them in one shot to conserve ammo. Use the fists only if you have berserk.
Chaingunguy - Serious pests. Up close, a shotgun blast or two will kill them. Far away, the chaingun would be a good choice. Use the berserk fists if you're feeling lucky.
Imp - A single shotgun shot will usually kill them. Chainguns are also effective, but can be an ammo waster if you're careless with your shots. The fists (even non-berserk) work well if you want to conserve ammo.
Demon and Spectres - Use a shotgun. Up close, use the super shotgun to kill them quickly. The fists are very effective against them because they have no projectile attack. Don't use the chaingun on them unless you have too, because that will just waste ammo.
Cacodemon - A couple of super shotgun shots will kill them at melee range, three or four a bit farther away. Farther away than that, use the shotgun or rocket launcher. The plasma gun will kill them quickly, but using a chaingun on them is a big mistake. If you're low on ammo, use the berserk fists. The chainsaw works if you haven't found berserk yet, but since it pulls you closer to the monster, it increases the chance that you will be caught by it's melee attack (same with Demons and Spectres).
Hell Knight - Slightly more health than the Cacodemon, but much easier to kill since they can't fly. Take them out the same way, but their melee attacks are far worse.
Baron of Hell - If you're trying to conserve rockets, use the super shotgun, since up close it's almost as powerful (with no explosion damage, heheh). They laugh at the chaingun...for a while anyway. The plasma gun is good, but can be wasteful. If you really want to conserve ammo, use the berserk fists on them. Even one Baron of Hell killed this way will dramatically shift the ammo balance in your favor.
Pain Elemental - If there are more than 20 or 21 (I forget which) Lost Souls on the map, they are completely harmless and can be killed with the non-berserk fist with no threat of damage. Under normal circumstances, the best weapon is the super shotgun up close and a shotgun farther away. The chaingun is a surprisingly good weapon because it stops any attacks by the Lost Souls, where you can strafe a little bit and fire directly at the Pain Elemental again. A rocket launcher can be used, but you need to be careful, and it has to be really far away (or attacking something else).
Revenants - By themselves, they are only a minor nuisance. In a group or in a tight area, they can overwhelm you if you don't react quickly and with serious firepower. Two super shotgun blasts will kill them. The plasma gun works too, as well as the rocket launcher as long as you know where the Revenant will be by the time the rocket gets there. As for their rockets, only the ones that have the smoking trail are the homing ones.
Arch-Vile - All you need is a pillar and the knowledge of exactly which frame spawns the attack and you should be fine. You can even kill it with a chainsaw or fists if you're in one of those moods, heheh. As for his resurrecting ability, it can actually be useful if used properly. For instance, lure the Arch-Vile near a bunch of dead humans (Zombieguy, etc.). Once one of them is revived, shoot him and he will leave a weapon and some ammmo. Keep this up and you'll have enough ammo to last throughout the whole map (assuming that you haven't almost completed it yet). There is one thing you must watch out for. Do not allow any crushed monsters to be revived. Believe me, you will not like the results at all.
Lost Souls - In big open areas, they are almost a joke, since they'll continue their attack until they hit a wall, even if that wall happens to be on the other side of the map. In tight areas, everything but the rocket launcher works.
Arachnotron - These can be easy with the super shotgun, plasma gun, or rocket launcher. This is one monster that's actually harder with the invisibility, since you won't know where the next shot will go.
Spiderdemon - 3 BFG blasts. Don't waste time. Or if you can find other enemies to fight it, it will sure be helpful.
Cyberdemon - Not fun in tight areas. Use the plasma gun, BFG9000, rocket launcher or super shotgun if you have enough ammo.

You guys left out the Mancubus. I'd say super shotgun, and work on the strafing skills. Like with the Arachnotron, avoid partial invisibility, since his multi-angular attack will not work to your advantage when he's shooting them every-which-a-way.

Zombieguy - Two pistol shots or three will kill them. Use shotgun when you get it or better yet super shotgun. If you have bezerk use it.

Shotgunguy - If you dont have the shotgun use a pistol. Use the shotgun when you do get it. If you have bezerk use it.

Chaingunguy - These guys can get annoying if theres abunch of them together. If there far away use the chaingun, shotgun, or super shotgun to snipe them. if up close use super shotgun if you have it. If you have bezerk use it.

Imp - One shotgun blast or two will kill them. chaingun works good to if you out of shotgun ammo. If you have bezerk use it.

Demon and Spectres - One super shogun blast will kill these things. chaingun also works for them if you out of shotgun ammo. If you have bezerk use it.

Cacodemon - The chaingun will almost paralize these thing but acouple super shotgun blasts will kill it. If you want to you can use bezerk.

Hell Knight - 3 super shotgun blasts and its dead. use rockets if your out of shells. you can use bezerk, it works good until the hellknight hits you.

Baron of Hell - 6 super shotgun blasts will kill it. if your out of shells use the rocket launcher.

Pain Elemental - One of the most annoying monsters in the game. Use a chaingun like the cacodemon. Use the super shotgun for quicker kills like the cacodemon.

Manacubis - Use the super shotgun for an easy kill. use rockets if you dont have super shotgun use rockets.

Arachnotron - use super shotgun. use rocket if you dont have enough shells.

Revenants - Use the super shotgun. If you out of shotgun shells, use the chaingun. If you have bezerk you can use it if you want.

Arch-Vile - Shoot him with the super shotgun everytime he starts to attack and it could stop him. use rockets if your out of shells.

Lost Souls - One of the most annoying monsters in the game. use the chaingun or super shotgun. If you have bezerk use it.

Spiderdemon - 3 BFG blasts will kill it. not much of a fight.

Cyberdemon - Dont know why everyone thinks this is the hardest guy, you can kill him with a shotgun without god mode on. But you can use the bfg or plasma rifle to kill him faster. Use rockets if you dont have the bfg or plasma rifle. If you dont have the rocket launcher use the super shotgun and if you run out of ammo with the shotgun use the chaingun.

I knew there was something I forgot.

Mancubus - This one is good to practice your strafing skills on. If you're good enough, you can get almost up to it's face and blast it away with the super shotgun while avoiding the fireballs at the same time. However, if there's more than one of them around, use the rocket launcher or plasma gun to kill them quickly. Also, because of their spread attack, they are good for causing monster infighting. Using invisibility is also not a good idea for the same reason as when fighting the Arachnotron.

it is too shitty, id didn't put any mastermind (at least in doom2, I don't care much for U.Doom's e3m8) in very open places, because it sucks alot if it is cramped and it get stuck.
Cyberdemons like already said is deadly in tight areas, but in open areas they are easy (except if they are more than 1).

However Hr ( and of couse av & hr2 too :) )cure all people there is afaid for masterminds and cyberdemons. :P

If there's a pain elemental that is alone, use the chainsaw against it. They're absolutely helpless to chainsawing.

You can block the revenant from firing rockets by making it punch at you. Get close and as soon as he starts to punch, run back so that the punch doesn't connect. Shoot him and repeat. This technique is dangerous though.

If you know there's something really big and ugly directly behind a certain door, you can try this. Pull the trigger on the BFG first, then open the door. If you time it right, the monster will be immediately hit by the BFG ball.

I use my chainsaw when approched by demons. You just stand in one spot and hold fire. They usually don't bite you when you're cutting into them.

Coopersville said:

I use my chainsaw when approched by demons. You just stand in one spot and hold fire. They usually don't bite you when you're cutting into them.

Yea the demons are weird. They wont attack if your all ready attacking one up close with the chainsaw.

Mivalekan said:

Hell knight: The big ammo-wasters. 3 rockets/super shotgun, 1 whole BFG shot (sometimes they survive!), some 300 bullets :O. Just run around these guys and keep your distance.

Er... 300 bullets? Aren't we way off here? 50 bullets is what it takes if you don't miss, and I think it requires a major suction to miss 5 out of 6... Besides, a direct BFG hit should kill it on the spot, and if not, the area damage surely will. So they'll only survive if you miss them.

Spiderdemon - 3 BFG blasts will kill it. not much of a fight.

Actually, if you run up close, 2 BFG blasts will kill him, and chances are he won't damage you too much (although he might!)

Twiztid said:

Arch-Vile - Shoot him with the super shotgun everytime he starts to attack and it could stop him.

Don't count on that. The Arch-Vile's "pain chance" is rather low, and most of the time (or at least half of the time), even a SSG blast won't stop his attack and you will suffer.

dr_st said:

Actually, if you run up close, 2 BFG blasts will kill him, and chances are he won't damage you too much (although he might!)

Actually, it's possible to kill a Spider Mastermind in one BFG shot. I've done it before a few times.

Quite a few examples spring to mind. There's Doom Doom Quicker (see E3M8), and there's one quite early on in one of my own (edit1: it's the second mastermind I'm referring to, not the first - though on watching it again, I see that it might have been hit by a trace or two from earlier shots, so maybe it's not such a clear-cut example).

Generally, you can be pretty much certain that they'll go down after two shots from close up, but occasionally you'll be lucky and it will only take one. By that point though, you'll most likely have fired the second shot anyway.

Cybers sometimes only take two BFG shots, BTW.

Regarding archies, a well-aimed SSG blast from close up will more often than not stop his attack. Maybe 75-85% of the time?

edit2: The changes in Zdoom 2.0.52 that Cyb described here will probably have some impact on these questions.

Pain Elementals aren't that bad if you get right in their face. They can't spawn lost souls if if you're by their mouth. Just be sure to back up when they're about to die. It's almost like being next to a rocket blast.

Here's all you need to know about killing doom monsters:

Zombieman: SSG
Seargent: SSG
Imp: SSG
Chaingunner: SSG
Demon: SSG
Specter: SSG
Lost Soul: SSG
Hell Knight: SSG
Baron of Hell: SSG
Arachnotron: SSG
Cacodemon: SSG
Pain Elemental: SSG
Mancubus: SSG
Revanant: SSG
Arch Vile: SSG
Spider Mastermind: SSG
Cyberdemon: SSG
Deathmatch: SSG

Yep. Way to go Id, you gave us the gun that could kill anything. It's why I like weapon mods so much. I'm tired of raping every demon in the level with an SSG. Argue if you wish, but remember that when it boils down to it you usually use the SSG more than any other gun in the game. Of course, I could be mistaken.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Sidestep when necessary.

I sit down with the monsters in the game, and try to work out our differences.. if that fails.. we all go get drunk to froget our problems and hopefully not wake up in the same bed.

Grazza said:

Regarding archies, a well-aimed SSG blast from close up will more often than stop his attack. Maybe 75-85% of the time?

I'd say more like 2/3, especially considering that it never works when you need it the most :P

Dunbar said:

Yep. Way to go Id, you gave us the gun that could kill anything. It's why I like weapon mods so much. I'm tired of raping every demon in the level with an SSG. Argue if you wish, but remember that when it boils down to it you usually use the SSG more than any other gun in the game. Of course, I could be mistaken.

I think a major part of good level design is forcing the player to use a diversity of weapons, and not just by rationing the ammo. There are plenty of possible situations where over-reliance on the SSG (with its slow reload and poor accuracy for long-range shots) would get you killed in a great hurry. BTW, with fast monsters or on NM, the range of such situations is considerably widened.

Fredrik: heh, maybe, but I'd still rather rely on it in that situation (one-on-one with no cover) than the plasma gun, where you can be pretty certain you'll get fried at least once.

Dunbar said:

Here's all you need to know about killing doom monsters:

Zombieman: SSG
Seargent: SSG
Imp: SSG
Chaingunner: SSG
Demon: SSG
Specter: SSG
Lost Soul: SSG
Hell Knight: SSG
Baron of Hell: SSG
Arachnotron: SSG
Cacodemon: SSG
Pain Elemental: SSG
Mancubus: SSG
Revanant: SSG
Arch Vile: SSG
Spider Mastermind: SSG
Cyberdemon: SSG
Deathmatch: SSG

Oh, and I almost forgot: Sidestep when necessary.

What I hate is watching a UV Max demo on one of Doom2's levels where you can get the SSG and a lot of ammo for it. That boom! click click clack! sounds gets really tiresome after the first three or four minutes of hearing it over and over again.

In any other mode other than fast monsters, I have to agree with Dunbar - you don't often need to switch from the SSG if you have enough ammo for it. Sidestepping is probably the most crucial ability in Doom - since most of the monsters are projectile firing monsters which don't use trajectory prediction you can take on a hell of a lot at once if you strafe.

Ahh, I used to use the ALT + l/r method in the days before I worked out a keyboard config which included looking around, moving forwards, backwards and strafing left and right. How you beat it without strafing is beyond me though :)

As for the PC speaker, didn't somebody release a wad which had much higher quality sounds for Doom using it?

I got as far as map16 of Hell Revealed on UV without ever strafing (apart from the two jumps in map11 where it is essential, and that felt very weird).

A never-strafing "approach" makes lots of things very hard work, but it is amazing what is nevertheless possible.

Heh, that might make an interesting demo contest: HR maps 11, 13 and 14, keyboard-only and no strafe allowed. Or maybe not.

I had no sound card when I first played Doom2, so got used to the PC speaker sound effects. It was quite a revelation when I heard the real sound effects at a friend's house. I went out and bought a fancy 16-bit sound card the next day. :)

yeah, most of us are skilled enough to the point where we can fight Cyberdemons in a 300x300 room or take on a couple of revenants with beserks. Moving on...

Let's talk about killing hordes of enemies on different terrains, you know, like those HR levels that feature 2,000 bastards per square inch.

So what is the strategy on taking out clouds of revenants when they're not in cages but on open grounds? [AV 29][HR 24]