Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
destx

Yet another music thread

I noticed on PlanetDoom that spin.com]Spin Magazine has an article somewhere regarding Reznor's (lack of) involvement with doom 3.

Being a rabid NIN fan for a number of weeks now, I've been researching a bit into exactly why reznor pulled out.
It's pretty obvious that he has.

My theory is that it was sucking up too much of reznor's time, he has mentioned that it was a total bitch making the music because it has to fit every atmosphere in the game, action or no action. Also, aparently halo 18 is due out soon. Odds are he'd want to be working on that.
Business dissagreements may also have fucked things up.

But why in god's name are they being so quiet about it? it must be something really nasty.

My personal theory is a carmack/reznor/mewse/newell love square/oblong gone horribly wrong. Cockfestival ensues.

Apologies if any/all of these points have been made before.

It would be a shame if they changed all the sounds and music from the alpha. The sounds and the music (during the spinning id logo) really set the atmosphere.

I don't really care what music they use, coz i'm gonna turn it off anyway (I never had the music on during FPS games) i prefer to listen for my enemies coming... plus doom would be shit scary with the sound effects of demons moaning and the machinery churning. ( ahhh remembers the original when the cyber demon was slowly getting louder :D )

I also usually turn the music off or turn it down to a very low volume, because if the music is too loud, you can´t hear the ambient sound, and ambient sound is WAY more important for creating athmosphere and immersion in a game. Because ambient sound (as well as the monster / character /weapon sounds) is directly connected with your environment, and music is normally just a background addition.

I however like dynamic music that reacts to the action, just like in a movie. But I haven´t yet played a game where that really was implemented well.

Tetzlaff said:

I however like dynamic music that reacts to the action, just like in a movie. But I haven´t yet played a game where that really was implemented well.

Check out Metroid Fusion.

Oh yeah, I ´ll definitely check out XIII, I haven´t played the demo yet, but it looks promising.

Metroid, isn´t that a jump and run platformer?

Tetzlaff said:

Oh yeah, I ´ll definitely check out XIII, I haven´t played the demo yet, but it looks promising.

Metroid, isn´t that a jump and run platformer?

It's a completely uninspired game. Utterly standard and derivative - don't be fooled by the unusual look of it. The dynamic music is well put together though.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

It's a completely uninspired game. Utterly standard and derivative

XIII or Metroid?

No, I haven't played much of it, but Metroid Fusion looks great and seems really quite original to play. However, based on the two demos (SP and MP) I've played and the fairly large amounts of footage and reviews I have seen, XIII is very average.

Platformers and 3rd-person games in general are not my kind of thing, I´m addicted to first-person games :)

To my knowledge Metroid Fusion has no dynamic music, at least not what I think is meant.

What are we talking about here, music that adds layers or tempos based on what's going on in the game, like in Metal Gear Solid 2?

If that's the case, perhaps Metroid Prime is what Fredrik was talking about.

Or I'm just confused.

ID Software's Christian Antkow [under the alias of Feed] provided a remix of Dismantled's 'Shift' to the recently released 'Exit' single on Dependent Records. There is a rumour floating around Dependent's website that Dismantled's Gary Zon may be involved with the Doom III score but nothing is confirmed as of yet.

[It's actually quite unlikely, but is something worth thinking about. Check out Dismantled's tracks Hypersleep, Subcore, and Unmanned. They would make great atmospheric soundtrack pieces.]