Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Favorite / most annoying accents?

Favorite: Italian, Australian, British, Scottish, Alabama...

Most annoying: French Canadian, New Jersey

Favorite: Scottish, Russian...oh duh, and German.

Least: Um, I dunno...I guess Fillipino.

Darkstalker said:

Heh I find French France annoying.

Expect your new custom title from Julian any moment :P

I fricking hate "nasal Wisconsinite". So...I guess it's a damn shame I live here, eh?

i like all accents as long as the english is spoken fluently. german, italian, spanish, ebonics, british, romanian, whatever whatever its all good as long as they speak english well enough for me to listen to them without a translator present

I like certain American accents, middle-class English and French. Spanish is great for hails of invective or just general anger.

Canadian, French...hmm...a few others I like, I know a lot of people on the internet from those regions...well most of Europe ;)

And I hate when they have a TV show full of Americans or something, and then have one Australian guy talking, it sounds so fucking dicky.

TeamKill said:

Most Annoying: People trying to immitate an accent and doing a poor job.

Amen to that. Living in Scotland you constantly hear people in the media putting on a "Scottish" accent as soon as they hear someone is called MacGreggor or something. Patronising games show hosts speaking to their guests are the worst. I just wonder how long their careers would last if they did the same to a person of a racially sensitive background.

Heh, the Tony Hancock blood donor show is kind of relevant

On hearing that the Doctor is a Scot, Hancock opens with something like "It’s a braw bricht moonlicht nicht and an och aye the noo and a hoots and a mon and a caber...," then trails into silence.

With a posh London Mayfair accent the Scot drawls, "Just take a seat over there, Mr. Hancock."

Hancock splutters, "I do apologise for lapsing into the vernacular, but the young lady did say you were a Scottish gentleman,"

The Doctor replies, "Yes, well, we’re not all Rob Roys."

Hmmm, well Fodders may get the reference anyway.

However, having young kids that watched Mary Poppins about 10 times a day a few years back, Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent takes the biscuit. Man the crappyness of that was legendary, and still makes my flesh crawl.

fraggle said:

nuq'neH????

Heh, where's Pritch to put in his 2 cents in Klingon?

Job said:

Heh, where's Pritch to put in his 2 cents in Klingon?

AndrewB 'oH Qlp qoH!

But anyway my favourite accents are wealthy English private school girl (<3), Edinburgh Scottish, South East marginal (Hertfordshire, Surrey etc.), Western Canadian, New Jerseyian, Western Russian and South African.

My least favourite are Bristolian, Brummie, Scouse especially, in fact most northern English accents, American Deep South, Indian and Arabic, Spanish/South American/Mexican in general.

Hmmm, I'm surprised to see the Irish not featuring highly. A nice Dublin accent on a female. Oooooh yeah! I like a Geordie accent on a woman too, but not on a guy. On a woman I think it sounds really cute, but on a guy it almost sounds like a different accent. Southern States accents I like too.

I don't think I hate any accents, but a lot of Big (UK) city accents do grate a bit - esp Scouse, parts of Glasgow and the variant of cockney that can only be described as whining.

Generally, however, I find accents interesting and intriguing and I like to hear all sorts of accents on all sorts of people. Helps make the world go round.

pritch said:

AndrewB 'oH Qlp qoH!

How do you say "you fail it" or "heh" in Klingon?

I like the Russian accent maself. By the way, New Jersey doesn't have an accent.

Enjay said:

However, having young kids that watched Mary Poppins about 10 times a day a few years back, Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent takes the biscuit. Man the crappyness of that was legendary, and still makes my flesh crawl.

Damn right.

Grazza said:

I'm delighted that Klingon has been mentioned, because it provides an excuse to give a link that I've been wanting to use for ages:
meowchat & klingon

DajmoHwI'

Job: http://soultrek.net/faq/klindictionary.htm

Surely Klingon is a language? NOT an accent, a person speaking Klingon will impart their own accent to it I presume?
A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.

I like listening to French accents. There was a girl in one of my classes that had a pretty accent, but I can't remember where she was from. I think it started with a B.

I hate Texas accents. Fortunately, the only people I know with a Texas accent include my half-sister's family, and I avoid them at all costs.