Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

The Basics of Editing II

Now that I have learned to manipulate the variables of linedefs and sectors, a fully functioning levels with tripwires and most of the trimmings are easily executed, (thanks to Gerkhin and his Doom Builder).

In reference to Mordeth's directions, I have read most of the articles on designs and the Doom v1.666 specs, but there are some instructions that I could not find--either I have read too fast and skimped over the critical points--or I just could not find info, period.

As a beginning wad designer, none of my questions should be too hard to answer, so here is the continuation to my long strings of questions:

How do you change the sky texture?
And what programs are required?

How do you change the sky texture?

If you mean putting in your own picture for sky: Add a SKY# lump to your map with your picture in it. (where # should be a sky number, MAP01 uses SKY1)

And what programs are required?

Wintex or such editor that allows you to manage your WAD lumps manually.

Alright, I'm starting to feel the constraint of the limited texture pallette of Doom2.

Using Doom Builder, I couldn't figure out a way to permanently import texture. You would know more about this Gherkin.

When I went to "Edit: Map options: Additional Textures and Flats from WAD file" and chose some new texture from AV.WAD, it ran fine in 3-D mode, but when I beta-tested the level, the game crashed and gave me a message like "error: texture (xxx) not found".

How do I import/create new texture and what is the program to do such a thing?

By the way, I have Window XP, and I am in the dark about how to get Wintex 4.3 to run [at all].
I unzipped all the Wintex files onto a separate folder, and clicked on the .exe, it gave me a file error: Cannot find VBRUN300.DLL

If you have Windows XP and Wintex running on it, please preach out to me!!! I am dying to edit stuff. Thanks.

If editing for ZDoom you can change skies via
1. the method listed above
2. skyboxes
3. linedef special 190 and upper texture (MBF's 271)

Converted DOOMer said:

By the way, I have Window XP, and I am in the dark about how to get Wintex 4.3 to run [at all].
I unzipped all the Wintex files onto a separate folder, and clicked on the .exe, it gave me a file error: Cannot find VBRUN300.DLL

I don't use WinXP, but I do know that if you download this file:
http://www.dll-files.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/dll-files/topdown/download.pl?file=vbrun300.zip==
and unzip it to your windows/system folder (or whatever Windows XP uses for holding important system dlls and whatnot), then it should work just fine.

Another question, how would you create a trigger that depends on the monster's death, kinda like Doom II map 07, when the mancubus dies, the door gets lowered, and when the arachnotrons dies, the stair is created, I tried figuring it out by opening the map, but to no avail...

Only certain levels can do this. If you want only one level, make it MAP07 to use those tags...

In E1M8 of Doom, sectors tagged 666 have their floors lowered to the lowest point when you kill all Barons of Hell in the level.
In E4M8, same deal, but with the spiderdemon.

In MAP07 of Doom 2, sectors tagged 666 will again, lower to the lowest floor, when you kill all mancubi. Sectors tagged 667 will move up by shortest lower texture, when you kill all arachnotrons.

In MAP32, sectors tagged 666 will open as doors when all commander keens are dead.

That's what I remember, but I may have missed one or two.

netnomad312 said:

In MAP32, sectors tagged 666 will open as doors when all commander keens are dead.

That will actually work in ANY Doom2 level.

And don't forget, doors tagged 666 will open when all cyberdemons die in E4M6.

netnomad312 said:

In E1M8 of Doom, sectors tagged 666 have their floors lowered to the lowest point when you kill all Barons of Hell in the level.

I think the more accurate definition is "when all Barons and tougher monsters die". I think that if you have a Spiderdemon, and no Barons, the tagged sectors will lower once you kill the spider.