Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Exponential Paces

Computer & Video Games has the second part of their Carmack interview up for your reading enjoyment. This interview is mainly a tech discussion, however there's a good bit covering some of the elements that will be present in the single player aspect of the game:

We decided Doom 3's gameplay is not going to be some wild innovation - it's a first-person shooter. There are a lot of arguments that can be made about game design, and I prefer simplicity and elegance. There are big arguments that happen inside id over 'do we wanna have an additional control for something like this?', and I'm always the one saying we want the minimum number of everything, because I want it to be simple and fun to play.

By the way, for those curious, this interview is from Quakecon, which took place back in August. And remember kids, disable those cookies!

Carmack on making new engines:

It's not like I've got some brilliant new way of structuring things, it is driven by the external forces. And people who ignore that suffer miserably, like the people who were doing voxel engines right as 3D hardware engines were coming on.

We bought a Russian space suit off Ebay and we're going to modify that.

That sounds so comfortingly safe.

Frenzied imps spawn in a dozen places at once, emerging from pentagram-like portals in a burst of magma, pelting you with fireballs and blocking your exit.

He must've meant one or two :/ Still a nice article to read to pass time.

Why would he mean one or two? He said a dozen, I'd assume he bloody well MEANT a dozen. Will you lot let go of the 4 Player Multi/5 Monsters at a time idea? The games main point is it's scaleable and moddable. I read in a magazine today,(Australian one) where Tim Willits is quoted as saying "It's most likely that down the track someone will mod in a 32Player network mode. We know it can be done with the engine, but we think 4 is the ideal number" So the game can and probably will handle a lot of monsters. I mean shit, If it couldn't handle 5 zombies, how in the hell was something like the almighty Cyberdemon going to fit? Think about it people.

Four players is the number allowed in the best game of all time (i.e. the original Doom), so therefore it is the ideal number! :P

yeah wtf. they leave out some of the best things about doom and add in/leave in crap. "let's take out strafe, but add crouch!" "let's limit multiplayer to four people", "let's merge all the demons with robots but then move it all to mars so the plot makes sense". weird

sargebaldy said:

yeah wtf. they leave out some of the best things about doom and add in/leave in crap. "let's take out strafe, but add crouch!" "let's limit multiplayer to four people", "let's merge all the demons with robots but then move it all to mars so the plot makes sense". weird

1. Strafe is still there, Pat Duffy confirmed this.
2. Crouch is not a bad feature.
3. The 4 player limit is ideal because of the slow pace in D3 DM.
4. So far only the demon and the lost soul are cybernetic.

So besides your ignorance on the subject, what's the big problem?

Holy crap, I didn't think anyone was gullible enough to actually believe that there's no strafing (rolling eyes smiley would be ideal here ;))

You all know the idea behind talking shit to fool the people?
Just see the thing with strifing *g*
I´ll wait till the game hits the local media markt for aprox 40-50 euro and then i will see ;)

BTW: Nightmare, you want to repair the link in your signature

So Long, The Werelion!

Bastet Furry said:

BTW: Nightmare, you want to repair the link in your signature

Uh, it works fine...

Not for me...

vBulletin Message
You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Logged in user: Bastet Furry

Sooooo, something goes veeeery wrong here ;)

Nighty from the Werelion!

NiGHTMARE said:

Uh, it works fine...

It's a private forum you sap :P

Nobody has access unless I allow it.

Teh Macvileness said:

FP! 21st POST!

Don't get started with retarded posts. You know where it's heading, don't you?

Bastet Furry said:

Uhm, btw... where is the site of 3057 now?
nautrup.com/3057 is down o.O

It's not anywhere atm.

Bastet Furry said:

And how shall we know when there is something to play with besides that WayTooShort 1 Map Demo?

That's what Headlines are for. :)

sargebaldy said:

hasn't been public in all the time i've been here.

Shaviro wrote that post on the 25th of August. The RTC forum was created towards the end of September. Do the math :P