Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Froon

A Ladder

I've beed trying to build a map for Skulltag (Hexen Format) and I was wondering if it was possible to make something that worked as a ladder, but I could not get the Zero-Gravity Thing (Thing 5066) to work for me, has it's function been implemented yet, and if so, how does it work.
If it doesn't work does anyone know how to make an object that does work like a ladder.

You could get a series of bridge things and make them all 2 units wide and 16 units thick, then place them 2 units apart from each other in height increments of 16. (starting at 0, as the first thing will be on the ground)

Hmmm, is that how you did it in LTSD? I think that has the player go up the ladder by running into it, what I'm trying for is a swim up/jump to go up the ladder. Is it possible to set a sector to have fly mode active for that sector?

There's actually a "water thing", that makes a sector act like water, i.e. you can swim up and down in it.

LilWhiteMouse did a convincing ladder demo WAD. The ladder went up inside a tower kind of structure and I think she may have used a zero gravity sector, but I don't really remember. Can't find the file ATM or I'd have a better look at it, but someone must know the file.

The problem with the water thing is if you stay on the ladder too long, you'd start "drowning".

The Froon said:

Hmmm, is that how you did it in LTSD? I think that has the player go up the ladder by running into it, what I'm trying for is a swim up/jump to go up the ladder. Is it possible to set a sector to have fly mode active for that sector?

I actually used the old-fashioned method there (a very, very, very steep staircase), but you could do it with sector action things turning the player property for flight on/off, although this has bugs: you could easily fly higher than the ladder, and (from the top of it) jump over the ladder to gain flying ability briefly. This method would only work if the top of the ladder is close to the ceiling (like in a 64-unit high passage).

If you used a water zone thing you'd have the same trouble, with the added flaw of taking damage if you stay on the ladder for more than 10 seconds.

You could try setting the gravity to zero in the sector, but you'd have no control over how fast or far you went up it, and you'd have to set up a mechanism that changes the gravity for going back down it.

Enjay said:

LilWhiteMouse did a convincing ladder demo WAD. The ladder went up inside a tower kind of structure and I think she may have used a zero gravity sector, but I don't really remember. Can't find the file ATM or I'd have a better look at it, but someone must know the file.

Chosen?

Wow. That is nice.

Though I don't think I'm ready to start scripting just yet, (this is my first map), but thank you for your assistance.