Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Can't run Wintex

I have Windows XP, I unzipped all the files from the freshly downloaded Wintex 4.3 to a separate folder.

I clicked on the wintex.exe, and it gave me an error message: cannot find VB20003.DLL, or something like that.

I figure, if everyone else can get Wintex running on their new comps, why can't I?

How do you install Wintex the proper way? Help!

Converted DOOMer said:

How do you install Wintex the proper way? Help!

As Sargebaldy said, but remember to use XWE or Deepsea if you want to add in lots of new textures - they will save you a lot of time here.

Just get 5.0; 4.3 always had these install problems for me and I couldn't get it to work on some machines. Why are you trying to use an older version anyway?

Just get 5.0; 4.3 always had these install problems for me and I couldn't get it to work on some machines. Why are you trying to use an older version anyway?

I used 4.3 because it was the latest version Doomworld has in the utilities section, so I grabbed it... oops

Now that I got Wintex 5.0 and VBRUN300.DLL, a new problem presented itself... argh.

I clicked on the wintex.exe file, and it gave me this message:

Can't run 16-bit Windows program

One of the library files needed to run c:\Wintex\Wintex50.exe is damaged. Please reinstall this application

Reinstalled it by extraction, gave me the same message. Can someone give me a link to a wintex that is known to work? And perhaps someone out there has a wintex running on Windows XP...

Converted DOOMer said:

Reinstalled it by extraction, gave me the same message. Can someone give me a link to a wintex that is known to work? And perhaps someone out there has a wintex running on Windows XP...

If you still have problems, get XWE

In many respects, it's superior to Wintex - although I still use wintex quite a bit just out of force of habit...

Ya know, I always meant to get XWE but kept forgetting. Now I have it and I can safely say that it ownz Wintex... at least from what I've seen. If nothing else, this is because of one thing: you can move your entries in XWE! No more maps being in random places...

I have yet to check out its texture editor though. How is it better than Wintex's?

from what i've seen both have their plusses and weaknesses. wintex can copy from one wad to another easier, and is better for browsing entries, and is organized better. xwe is better for new lumps, it lets you scale sprites, and has a lot of 'quick' features wintex doesn't have. so it's probably good to keep both around.

netnomad312 said:

I have yet to check out its texture editor though. How is it better than Wintex's?

It isn't really, as far as moving patches and stuff - you have to type the values rather than just clicking on the move patch buttons, and the way to add patches is much less intuitive. However, XWE can automatically make texture entries from imported graphics and has no problem with wierd textures or viewing large FS lumps like wintex.

If you use Deepsea though, most of this stuff won't be an advantage to you.

Heh. No, I don't use Deepsea.

I noticed the number-type thing. Better than clicking the damn "up" button 64 times if I want to move a patch that far...

netnomad312 said:

Heh. No, I don't use Deepsea.

I noticed the number-type thing. Better than clicking the damn "up" button 64 times if I want to move a patch that far...

Good point actually, although it's still a little cumbersome to add new patches into the texture.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Good point actually, although it's still a little cumbersome to add new patches into the texture.

Maybe I'm just being n00bish, but I couldn't figure out how to add a new patch. Every time I said new entry it would make it a marker. Also, I hate that XWE puts your new textures at the bottom of the list, whereas all this time I put them all between AASHITTY and the other textures...

As for me I kinda use a mix for adding textures. I use Deepsea to import textures into my PWAD where I want them. Then add the Texture and Pnames into the PWAD so editors and Doom can understand them. I use XWE mainly to keep things organized and to merge my Texture PWAD into my main PWAD. It's how I learned it and it works so well I'm not switching my ways. I also discovered that Deepsea stupidly uses purple as its default transparency color so I switched it.

The transparency value doesn't matter. All that matters is that the color/index value chosen matches the original image. Read the Palette Mishaps thread above.

And all you have to do in any case is customize to suit the occasion (which I think is what you meant by switch).

If you read the palette thread, you'll see that the Wintex index is actually the wrong value, plus causing conversion problems if you use the Wintex palette with PSP, etc.

The only thing where XWE fails it is flat importing. (It imports them as patches instead, even when saved as RAW files.)

Hirogen2 said:

The only thing where XWE fails it is flat importing. (It imports them as patches instead, even when saved as RAW files.)

Naw, it also doesn't merge TEXTURES and PNAMES. As I recall it will actually make TWO copies of the TEXTURE and PNAME lumps. Right?

Seems I read a thingy on the Zdoom forum where large transparent patches don't work at all. Hey that was you wasn't it with the frugged up transparent tall patches?

Pretty good for extracting other games and for moving some things around though-)

Something strange happened with copying lumps earlier today. I built nodes using glBSP (since I sometimes test in Legacy or jDoom GL to see how the level looks), and it gave me one serious warning: an extra BLOCKMAP lump for MAP32. Why 32, I wondered, since I hadn't worked on that one in a long time? Well anyway, I opened XWE and there they were. One was bigger than the other so I deleted the smaller one. It crashed. I rebuilt the nodes and the BLOCKMAP I ended up with was the small one. Heh.

This is just, uh, about double entries. Yeah. *Shot for being off-topic*