Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DanWW

Computer Freeze !?

I am trying to get Doom to work on a computer that has little else on it (no other programs that would seem to want to cause conflicts):

The game only needs a 486 with 8 megs of ram, Windows 98, etc. but the machine is far greater being a pentium 133...with lots of memorey ( 32 Meg) etc. : But with Doom it plays for quite awhile then later completely freezes up ( Even Control - ALT - Delete doesnt work .....I have to turn of the machine power to reboot .....
....how do we find clues and or fix that ....
........ Dan dsw4ski@aol.com

You could try install a source port, instead of the original exe to see if it helps. Here is a small list of the ones I prefer. :)
Zdoom, Prboom

Download the port and install it in a dir, then you only have to put doom.wad/doom2 in your source port foldier and fire up the program.

(there is tons of source ports, but these is what I prefer or multiplayer souce ports.)

DanWW, what OS are you running? If it's Windows 2000 or XP it won't work. Also, what sound card do you use? It should be Sound Blaster compatible. Also, make sure you have a clean install of the game and that the files aren't messed up.

Actually, it isn't even clear whether you're using the DOS version or Doom95. In order to get any help you need to post exactly what you're using.

myk said:

DanWW, what OS are you running? If it's Windows 2000 or XP it won't work. Also, what sound card do you use? It should be Sound Blaster compatible. Also, make sure you have a clean install of the game and that the files aren't messed up.

DanWW said:

The game only needs a 486 with 8 megs of ram, Windows 98, etc. but the machine is far greater being a pentium 133...[/email]

sounds like a soundcard event conflict or an anti-virus/scheduler conflict or maybe your system is overheating?(unlikely).
lots of things in Windows can cause your system to freeze: something else tries to play a sound, but the dos VM is using it OR your network/DUN connects or disconnects OR Norton does a filecheck every 5 minutes etc...
since DOOM plays more than a few seconds, I find it very unlikely DOOM has anything to directly do with the crash -- more likely that any ms-dos Vm would do the same thing.
(unless, of course, you can play ms-dos Quake(for example) and it never crashes)
Have you tried playing DOOM in pure DOS mode (shutdown/bootup into just DOS)

using a source port like Prboom would be a good solution.