Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron Slayer419

What happened to the old look?

I have noticed that all the new Doom monsters are not anything like the originals. What happened to all the horns and claws? Now all the Hell Spawn look a little too Alien, expecialy the demon! It could just be me, but I would like to remind id software that their Monsters are from The Underworld... Not some technologicaly advanced alien tribe.

I like the robotics, but not the alien looking ones. Overall I pretty much agree with you. I think the only really standout and distinct monster designs are the pinky, revenant, fat zombie and demon cherub. I haven't seen any really iconic monster designs yet... what I mean by this is an enemy like the original cyberdemon - it's Doom's poster child and one of the enemies that will always be remembered in videogame history.

But I'm hoping that these are the ones they are keeping under wraps in Doom III.

They've pretty much mentioned that the vast majority of monsters and character designs are being kept under wraps at the moment.

And I wouldn't say the monsters that have been shown already aren't ... iconic. Just not in the gothic horny winged hooved sense, maybe.

John Carmack said in some interview:
I've not got a true sense of evil form the monsters yet. They're not aliens, but demons from HELL....and they have issues with your soul.

So yeah, Id is aware of it

Fredrik said:

The original Doom's monsters wouldn't work in a non-cartoonish environment.

I disagree. The only monsters that wouldn't work without a MAJOR overhaul would be the arachnotrons and spider mastermind IMHO. Most of the other could be updated and look great, while still looking very much like the original monsters.

Arioch said:

And I wouldn't say the monsters that have been shown already aren't ... iconic. Just not in the gothic horny winged hooved sense, maybe.

I dunno, I'd disagree. It's not often you get many of the perenially impacting kind of monsters in one game. But I'm hoping Doom 3 is gonna have some more distinct designs later on in the game.

Fredrik said:

[/b]
I agree with you here, but I think that some of the designs will not have to be rethought as much as others. The cyberdemon or spider mastermind will fare better in Doom3's visual context than, say, a caco or the original baron of hell. Provided they are coloured mainly gray, like the rest of D3's monsters.

Fredrik said:

I disagree. I believe that the monsters could be slightly modified, but still look praticly the same. The skin colors could stay in the same spectrum. But the main thing would be the polygons. With the high number, the monsters would look real eventhough they may experience little change.

For example: The imp could remain almost exactly the same, with the horns and the claws, that would be mean enough. But if the color stayed the same brownish color, they would look more evil, not gray like some bug-alien. Even if it had extra abilities, it would still be almost original.

Baron Slayer419 said:

The skin colors could stay in the same spectrum.[B]

To look consistent though, enemy colours can't be wildly variant from the environment - Doom/2 has a wider range of colour, and therefore so do the enemies. Doom 3's primary colour is gray/silver and thus it couldn't have bright pink or red monsters running around without looking stupid.

I wish the new Imps had several spikes sticking out of their backs. Oh well, hopefully someone will make a model replacement for them once the game comes out.

I don't mind the new (Pinky) demons either. I hope that the Cyber-demon is suitably revamped, perhaps with some more metal parts or skin grafts on some parts of its torso, sort of like Silent Hill.

Yea I wish the demons did look more rugged, gothic and actully well just plane demonic I wanted horns, hooves, goat legs and the such dont get my wrong the enemies do look badass but they dont really suit the whole doom concept they are more designed like aliens and I dont particulary like that feeling.
For Example the hell knight to me dosent look like a demon but more like an alien brute or workhorse if you may.

You know what? I'm glad they look different. They have a much darker and meaner feel now. Plus things with goat legs/horns and glowing eyes are pretty much expected for demons these days. In that respect, I'm glad that id are taking a different approach with the monster design, they look very mean now. Just think, the Hell knight was one of the lower monsters, so if it looks nNasty in this incarnation,can you imagine what it's meaner brother the Baron will look like? *Gulps*

These designs are much better, and still retain a similarity with their cartoony relatives.

Tyockell said:

Yea I wish the demons did look more rugged, gothic and actully well just plane demonic I wanted horns, hooves, goat legs and the such dont get my wrong the enemies do look badass but they dont really suit the whole doom concept they are more designed like aliens and I dont particulary like that feeling.
For Example the hell knight to me dosent look like a demon but more like an alien brute or workhorse if you may.

I agree. The monsters were realy creepy with the whole thing with the horns and hooves.

Horns and hooves are overdone and cliché, besides, evil comes in many shapes and forms - not necessarily in goat form.

Remember, id is not trying to remake Doom (Source ports are handling the job of giving the old Doom a graphical overhaul, and mods deal with improved gameplay), but to create a wholly new game that rewamps the story and setting of the original Doom.

Personally, I think horns and hooves are getting old. I didn't get scared by the barons or the cyberdemon from the original DOOM, cos I thought they look ridiculous, like animals mimicking humans in form and movement. The current designs look great IMO, though the revenant and lost souls still look cheesy...

I think the hell knight and pinky are two of the most intimidating monsters I've seen in a game. Great original designs on id's (Kenneth's) part. If id can make horns and hooves on monsters look truly nightmarish, then go ahead. If not then don't put them in.

I'd say it all boils down to one's opinions. One man's Hell is another's Heaven. You may get scared to death by a horned 'demon', but someone else may find it cute.

Baron Slayer419 said:

I have noticed that all the new Doom monsters are not anything like the originals. What happened to all the horns and claws? Now all the Hell Spawn look a little too Alien, expecialy the demon! It could just be me, but I would like to remind id software that their Monsters are from The Underworld... Not some technologicaly advanced alien tribe.

The mancubus is an alien that was hellified.

Zoorado said:
[BI think the hell knight and pinky are two of the most intimidating monsters I've seen in a game.[/B]

I love the pinky - one of my favourite designs ever, and extremely original and distinct looking... but the HK just looks like a large generic bipedal alien to me - like the titans in the original unreal or a large, bipedal alien with big teeth in any other game.

Zoorado said:

Personally, I think horns and hooves are getting old. I didn't get scared by the barons or the cyberdemon from the original DOOM, cos I thought they look ridiculous, like animals mimicking humans in form and movement. The current designs look great IMO, though the revenant and lost souls still look cheesy...

I think the hell knight and pinky are two of the most intimidating monsters I've seen in a game. Great original designs on id's (Kenneth's) part. If id can make horns and hooves on monsters look truly nightmarish, then go ahead. If not then don't put them in.

I'd say it all boils down to one's opinions. One man's Hell is another's Heaven. You may get scared to death by a horned 'demon', but someone else may find it cute.

Demons and other things from the underworld are suppost to have the horns and hooves!!! that is what makes a devil so devilish. It is not just how big their teeth are, but how original they look. To tell you the trueth... I can't even reconize any of the old Doom monsters in Doom 3! Agian... They are too Alien.

Shaviro said:

The mancubus is an alien that was hellified.

Aren´t we all aliens that might be hellified somewhere along the way?

Baron Slayer419 said:

I can't even reconize any of the old Doom monsters in Doom 3! Agian... They are too Alien.

I could recognize the zombies, the imp, the pinky, the revenant, the lost souls, the arch-vile...should I go on?

Shaviro said:

I could recognize the zombies, the imp, the pinky, the revenant, the lost souls, the arch-vile...should I go on?

Let's face it, the imp was indiscernable and so was the pinky. If we had been presented with pics of these monsters without the foreknowledge that they were from a new Doom game we wouldn't have known what the hell they were.

I still haven't seen the archvile yet though....

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Let's face it, the imp was indiscernable and so was the pinky.

The Doom Imp is a human-dimensioned creature from hell that walks around and attacks you by scratching and throwing fireballs.
The Doom 3 Imp is a human-dimensioned creature from hell that jumps around and attacks you by scratching and throwing fireballs.

The Doom pinky is a pink bull-like creature that runs around and attacks by biting at you.
The Doom 3 pinky is a pink bull-like creature that runs around and attacks by biting at you.

What's not to recognize?

Fredrik said:

What's not to recognize?

Yeah, and they even have the same old colours, if not a little more grayish. So far I think only the HellKnight is way off the old design...but I'd rather see drooly than a goat.

Fredrik said:

The Doom Imp is a human-dimensioned creature from hell that walks around and attacks you by scratching and throwing fireballs.
The Doom 3 Imp is a human-dimensioned creature from hell (which looks more like an alien) that jumps around and attacks you by scratching and throwing fireballs.

The Doom pinky is a pink bull-like creature that runs around and attacks by biting at you.
The Doom 3 pinky is a pink bull-like creature [with shiny steel robotics making up it's lower back portion] that runs around and attacks by biting (actually, it headbutts in the alpha and released movies, hence the kickback) at you.

What's not to recognize?

The Unreal scaarj scout is a human-dimensioned alien looking creature that walks and jumps around and attacks you by scratching and throwing fireballs.

The Serious Sam werebull is a bull-like creature that runs around and attacks by headbutting you.

You can't identify creatures by whether they walk, run or fly or by how they attack, because all the movement methods and nearly all of the enemy attacks used in games have been used in many more than one game. The attribute "creature from hell" would be part of the foreknowledge I mentioned in my earlier post - the D3 monsters in question look more alien than demonic, so if you saw them without this knowledge you would assume they were aliens.

So, Skaarjs are Imp-like and Werebulls are Pinky-like. What made you think Doom's monsters are original (or have never been cloned, assuming they were the first of their character which most of them weren't)?

Fredrik said:

What made you think Doom's monsters are original (or have never been cloned, assuming they were the first of their character which they weren't).

I didn't say they were original or that they have never been cloned:

ToXiCFLUFF said:

You can't identify creatures by whether they walk, run or fly or by how they attack, because all the movement methods and nearly all of the enemy attacks used in games have been used in many more than one game.

Fredrik said:

So, Skaarjs are Imp-like and Werebulls are Pinky-like.

This is pertinent in that the discussion was about how discernable D3's monsters are concerning their original counterparts. You brought up their behaviour as an identifying feature, but since exclusion of foreknowledge was one of the bases of my argument, their behaviour doesn't help identifying them as what they were in the originals.

So I guess the crux of the matter is, with the exception of the D3 Archvile which has extremely distinct behaviour (although I haven't seen it yet), visuals would be the main identifier. Which brings me right back to the start; it is impossible to visually discern what original Doom characters the D3 pinky and imp are supposed to be. It doesn't really bother me in these cases, since I absolutely love the new pinky design and the original imp design would need a huge overhaul to fit into Doom3 anyway.

i think it was all quite obvious... The pink still had the same old look, a large, bull-like pinkish demon with a big nasty looking mouth... The imp was the ahrdest to identify really, but even that wasnt hard.. I think it all looks simliar, but better.. :D

Okay.... I would like to say that the demon doesn't look as much the same as before..... I still believe that it looks like a mixture of an alien and a robot... (Also, on a side note: I have seen the arch-vile. It is in the screenshot area. It looks so cool!)