Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

Sucks to be you

It's times like this that I realize how much it sucks that I live right next to Mexico but don't speak any Spanish and it's a loooong way to Canada from here.

Whee, another draft. Looks like I won't have to choose whether or not to join the Army after all.

Grimm said:

Whee, another draft. Looks like I won't have to choose whether or not to join the Army after all.

Only laws that deserve to exist should be obeyed.

Ultraviolet said:

Only laws that deserve to exist should be obeyed.

Impossibly problematical position to realise though.

Yeah, I saw this last night. That's fucked up. Good thing I have a long list of backup plans to get myself out of service in any case. Heh...

They probably wont take me since I'm so fat anyway. Time for someone to bring out that old quote. :P

Sephiroth said:

oh well
if i get drafted

i was gonna join anyways

Uh, oh well? You'd lose a chance for an enlistment bonus (sit down and negotiate that with a recruiter), the ability to choose your MOS, and lots of other stuff.

Scuba Steve said:

Stay in School Kids!

Just so you know, school is no longer a draft deferrent. Hasn't been since late Vietnam.

From sea to shining sea!
I cannot understand this constitution that says “well, you don’t have to vote, but you will fight for use!”

(yes, I'm for forced voting, shoot me.)

I'm glad I don't live in the US. So what does the Pentagon want? Are they gonna turn the US into a huge warmachine?

Look at the bright side: If the Army gets so weak that they need to call a draft, the United States would be falling before long anyway.

I can't get drafted! I suck too much at all those Tom Clancy games! I'd die the first day! Whaaa! *starts running for canada*

Seriously though. Why do we need to initiate the draft again? I thought we were doing alright as it is.

this is just biased speculation from an 'expert' at a web 'news' site. why do people bother posting or even reading 'news' from a site that's main page looks like this? and does anyone really think bush would go along with this? i think that would easily kill any change of reelection.

IMJack said:

Look at the bright side: If the Army gets so weak that they need to call a draft, the United States would be falling before long anyway.

I hope so...

SargeBaldy said:

this is just biased speculation from an 'expert' at a web 'news' site. why do people bother posting or even reading 'news' from a site that's main page looks like this? and does anyone really think bush would go along with this? i think that would easily kill any change of reelection.

The first time I heard about this, it was a direct link a government website announcing that they needed to fill draft board jobs. So at least that part is true. So the big question is "Why?"

Ha! I didn't get drafted last time, and if I'm lucky, I won't get drafted this time either.

Ha! I didn't get drafted last time, and if I'm lucky, I won't get drafted this time either.

Damn, you've been around that long?

Anyway, I have no problem complying with a draft. One of the conditions of living in this country is that if a draft needs to be instituted to add to the armed forces, you have to comply. This country has provided a great enviroment for me to grow up in; I could have just as easily been born in some shithole where I'd have been fighting since I was twelve; I'm not gonna bitch if my country needs me to help out.

Help out as in add to the military presence in some place there probably shouldn't be any? Just because the GOVERNMENT needs you doesn't mean the COUNTRY needs you.

I don't think enough people know to make that distinction. The government is not the country. There was this song by some punkish group... hell if I remember the name... chorus was "you gotta die gotta die gotta die for your government" -- that part could not have been more correct. It's not the country one dies for anymore, it's the government.

You can go back as far as the US's war with Mexico and you'll find that people like Thoreau were already saying that the US government no longer answers to the people. It's nothing new, but every time I say it there's somebody around to say that's conspiracy theory talk or some shit, that I'm wrong, and that the system works just fine.

Best thing about 'nam was the Hippy revolution as a counterstrike.

If, by miracle upon miracle, a draft does happen then we can expect culture to complete it's swing back into hippyism (boredom - hippies - punks - crappy 1990's - punks - hippies - boredom) and I get to grow my hair long and catch the clap, God willing.

Fingers crossed for flower power.

DooMBoy said:

doomboy you fool, you weren't alive last time there was a draft in the united states

Good thing they can't take people who have epilepsy and/or openly bisexual or gay

In your face Bush!

Help out as in add to the military presence in some place there probably shouldn't be any? Just because the GOVERNMENT needs you doesn't mean the COUNTRY needs you.

I really don't give a damn about that distiction. The government runs the country that gives me a pretty nice place. Like I said, right now I could be forced into prostitiuting myself in some shithole . . . Regardless of whether or not I disagree with it, I owe this government and this country my life, and without them I would not be the person I am today. I am not happy about the proposition of going off and fighting and maybe dying in some far-off land, but it is something I accept.

EDIT: Holy shit, I'm past 1000 posts. W00t!