Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Igor9

Pain elemental question?

In the original Doom2, was there a limit to the number of lost souls spawned by the pain elementals?

Well, 21. If the current number of lost souls is greater than 20, PEs cannot spawn lost souls.

That doesn't include most source ports, in which case Pain Elementals can spawn an unlimited (?) amount of lost souls.

Only if you define "Legacy" as "most source ports". AFAIK that's the only one that doesn't even allow the limit (one of the reasons I stopped using it, BTW). In Zdoom it is a compatibility option, for instance.

Grazza said:

Only if you define "Legacy" as "most source ports". AFAIK that's the only one that doesn't even allow the limit (one of the reasons I stopped using it, BTW). In Zdoom it is a compatibility option, for instance.

You're right. Legacy is the only source port that has the LS-limit completely commented out in the source. Totally pathetic, if you ask me. Like the voodoo-doll thing this again is a serious compatibility issue. Although I like most enhancements of the source ports this is the only compatiblity option I have permanently turned on. Map09 of Doom2 just doesn't have nearly enough ammo if the PE's aren't prevented from endlessly spawning Lost Souls.

You could always chainsaw them, unless you're being silly and doing pistol-starts.

Grimm said:

You could always chainsaw them, unless you're being silly and doing pistol-starts.

I'd rather use a source port that can play Doom correctly. There are enough of them out there.