Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

Regarding levels

Okay, here's a question about levels. I've been wondering, I understand about the levels for Freedoom will be for Doom 2, but will it be possible to play Doom 1 wads without having an entire Doom 1 IWAD? How will this all work out? I was thinking about it, and I was wondering, if worst came to worst, would all the levels for Doom 2 be ported over to Doom 1 if a full level set was needed to play Doom 1 pwads with Freedoom?

Freedoom will (hopefully) include all textures from Doom1, so it's compatible with Doom1 maps. A problem I can see is this: if a port sets it's game mode (either Doom1 or Doom2) from the maps presented in the IWAD, there might be a problem running Doom1 wads with certain ports and Freedoom.

The only thing really stopping the current ports from playing Doom1 Levels under Doom2 is the fact that there are some Doom1 Textures missing in Doom2. There are a few other things that would have to be done as well of course (the code that decides what music to play, which sky to use, etc), but these are minor. My port SMMU can already play Doom1 levels under Doom2 by translating the missing Doom1 textures to Doom2 ones, so speaking from personal experience I can tell you it isnt that hard :)

A problem I can see is this: if a port sets it's game mode (either Doom1 or Doom2) from the maps presented in the IWAD, there might be a problem running Doom1 wads with certain ports and Freedoom.

I suppose we could make an Ultimate Doom version of the game as well. Not new maps, just most of the Doom2 maps modified to work with it. I would not have a problem doing that with my map(s), and I'm sure at least a few other level designers would be willing to do this too.

If in fact it does pose a compatibility problem.