Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom 3 Release Date Set... Kinda

A recent Activision press release has a small mention of Doom 3's release:

The company is raising its outlook for net revenue for the full fiscal year by $30 million to $780 million, while at the same time it is moving DOOM 3(TM) into its next fiscal year for planning purposes.

So, apparently no December 10th release as some have been hoping for. If my understanding of the business world is correct, this would put Doom 3 on store shelves around April/May (or later) of next year, but who really knows about these things?

Why do all the big titles get moved years ahead of their inital release date? When I heard about Half-Life 2's source leak, I was like "Well, I always have Doom 3 to look forward to..."

nanami,

if you do not care about doom 3, then why do you read a post about doom 3? the subject matter is stated very obviously in the topic. crimony.

ahem, it's certainly taken a lot longer than i would've expected.

Back in the early days of development I didn't believe Dec 10th 2003 would be the release date because it just seemed too long to develop a game, plus from those screenshots the engine looked just about done. You can call me a monkey's uncle.

sniperfrommars1 said:

Id say march but who really knows. This means its coming out at least. No duke nukem forever syndrome.

the fiscal year starts in April, so not March

nxn said:

Back in the early days of development I didn't believe Dec 10th 2003 would be the release date because it just seemed too long to develop a game, plus from those screenshots the engine looked just about done. You can call me a monkey's uncle.

Monkey's uncle

nxn said:

We should be encouraged then, because that'd mean they've mostly been working on game content all this time.

EarthQuake said:

Why do all the big titles get moved years ahead of their inital release date?

Well, it probably happens to smaller titles too. But you never hear about them :P

sgtcrispy said:

Sorry, I'm just a stupid american.

dur.. ack pbfft!

Talk after me: "Ich bin ein dummer Amerikaner!"
And talking this you should walk trough downtown in Essen or Dortmund *g*

Cyb said:

the fiscal year starts in April, so not March

So those are *projected earnings it doesnt mean it wont get released earlier just that the earnings will *def* be higher april through whatever ;).

It sucks when they hype the games up and then push back the release dates to the point that when the game actually gets released, people go "meh". You don't dangle chum at a shark and then go "oops, hang on there, come back next week".

Bastet Furry said:

Talk after me: "Ich bin ein dummer Amerikaner!"
And talking this you should walk trough downtown in Essen or Dortmund *g*

Or maybe you should shut the hell up since alot of us take German.

They couldn't have pushed back the release date because they never really announced one yet.

well, its still alot later than people were predicting. a December 10th release would have been great. not only is it the birthday of DOOM, but my birthday as well.

Originally on the Amazon.com site it said it would be on April '04. So May/June is really no shock at all.

So wait, isn't the argument here that id shouldn't push back release dates that other people are setting?

well i dont really know when the game is coming out but i reserved my copy at gamestop and they said it would be out march 6th and i got this cool little statue of a baron of hell. It was the old one but it is still cool.