Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

How to release a WAD

I am about three weeks new to this WAD editing thingy, its pretty damn fun once you get the fundamentals figured out.

I'm about 1/3 of the way done with my level, where can I get the format for the level readme (ie the ditto for the notepad), and where do I send it to get the level reviewed?

http://www.geocities.com/aaarogance/ check out the images, and yes, it is all in one level. Meant for a ludicrously long co-op game. I'd like to hear ideas/tips/suggestions for my level, keep in mind that this is geared for a huge co-op fight, I'm listening...

Converted DOOMer said:

I am about three weeks new to this WAD editing thingy, its pretty damn fun once you get the fundamentals figured out.

http://www.geocities.com/aaarogance/ check out the images, and yes, it is all in one level. Meant for a ludicrously long co-op game. I'd like to hear ideas/tips/suggestions for my level, keep in mind that this is geared for a huge co-op fight, I'm listening...

And I do not think BROWNPOIS or what that upper texture is called you pasted there fits.

Yay lightning à la modern-3d-engine in woodenroom...

You mean the nukage room upper texture? yeah I'll look for a new texture, there is still a ton of refining to be done to the details and architecture... Did I mention the monster count will somewhere in the scope of AV-24?

Yeah, change that light texture. The only one that's allowed to repeat like that is the circular T_LITEs.

DooMBoy said:

That wooden room is out of place methinks.

Uhm, you never know if it's an episode2 map...

The nukage ceiling has been fixed, show in the link below.

And as for the wooden room, I will have to make a drastic transition between computer room, nukage, and ahem, the wooden room, all in one map, and yes, that is a tough job, indeed.

http://www.geocities.com/aaarogance/ All but one picture are new, even the first three got retaken if anyone ever saw it.

Note that any square looking room on the automap, including the center room, is UNFINISHED, and any room boasting dozens of sectors are the ones that are generally done.
Also, the tremendous amount of powerups and ammo present can only indicate a satanic amount of monsters, better have one hell of a juiced up pc.

Yes, I do listen to all your comments and design the map somewhat based on it, and I would apprieciate further critique based on what I am showing you all so far.

You know what. I'm a bit fed up with maps that have hundreds of demons raging at you from everywhere. Ambushes near keys and more vital powerups are so obvious, that they are not ambushes anymore...
That's my opinion, but do whatever you think is appropriate, just please do not increase overall map difficulty with 71547652 monsters...

But screens look good. Interesting architecture. Nicely detailed, like the taste of it. Especially "library" and "HallishTemple", but there's something wrong with the lights in "GloomyRoom"...

Damn. This looks like a real cool old-school map, the kind I love. Keep up the good work! And, heh, don't worry too much about the pseudo-random texturing . . . though detail and consistency certainly don't hurt. ;)

Honestly from what I see, this map is certainly a strange one. Not bad, just strange. Very good considering it to be your first map. Maybe if you describe your map as strange people will get the idea that "you made it that way" :)

When you go to put the monsters in, try to make some traps and stuff to keep it interesting, and maybe cut back on the higher-up bonuses like the soulsphere and bluearmors. Keep a balance between health and ammunition.

I'm interested in playing your map after it's finished. Maybe you could incorperate deathmatch into as well.
Is it doom2.exe/doom95.exe compatible?

You know what. I'm a bit fed up with maps that have hundreds of demons raging at you from everywhere. Ambushes near keys and more vital powerups are so obvious, that they are not ambushes anymore...
That's my opinion, but do whatever you think is appropriate, just please do not increase overall map difficulty with 71547652 monsters...

Since my map has such a large area, I had to put in 71547652 bastards to keep the player on the run, paraphrasing what John Romero once told, a good level always has to threaten the player with death around every corner. Yes, Enemies will warp in by scores, and your screen will many times over look like July 4th, but... I will not make the difficulty impossible, there will be fair, good fights.

Maybe if you describe your map as strange people will get the idea that "you made it that way" :)

Yes, the map is indeed strange, there, I've said it. Strange, but only rightfully so to host insane amounts of ideas I'm trying to implement, with gameplay and fun factor clearly in full view, I am not too worried about atmosphere here... just think of this map as a carnival, and each of those room is like a 'haunted house' or 'halls of mirror'. Did I mention that there are now 150+ tags, and less than half the functionings of the map is done? 40+ secrets is my target.

When you go to put the monsters in, try to make some traps and stuff to keep it interesting, and maybe cut back on the higher-up bonuses like the soulsphere and bluearmors. Keep a balance between health and ammunition.

Traps that involve megaspheres and keys are commonplace in this map, just think of AV or HR, grab the blue key, and 12098 bastards warp in, but my trap mechanism doesn't confine the warping to one room, it is specifically designed to PUT monsters where you plan to retreat, gruesome... and if you plan to run away to a tunnel or somewhere narrow, forget it, I plan to keep players on the run, even on such a large level with so much maneuvering space.

The soulspheres and armor are placed there because I specifically designed this map for a co-op session without "Item Respawn", it is to be refined, I will also tweak it for single player once it is done, by cutting down the enemies and powerups.

I'm interested in playing your map after it's finished. Maybe you could incorperate deathmatch into as well.
Is it doom2.exe/doom95.exe compatible?

Yes, deathmatch can be implemented, and YES, it is universally compatible.

http://www.geocities.com/aaarogance/

Any more questions? Suggestions? Critiques? I'm willing to listen...

looks good. and for a first map, it looks fucking great. i'll download this when it's released. i love gigantic maps.

Heh, all my maps are unfinished and they never will be completed unless I get off my lazy ass and do something. In fact, the only map I ever finished was my 3 Sectors megawad Map01. And I think I finished my DooM3 Map05. Nice map though, and really goot for a beginner's map.

PS: It is indeed very easy to make an awesome map with, like, 50000 sectors in the start room type detail if you know how to make height changes.

Oh, one more thing. You know what I noticed? If everyone thinks a newbie wad means FWATER? ceilings, you should take a closer look at E3M3, heh.

Well, E4M3 was American McGee's first maps . . . I think Pandemonium was one of Tom Hall's old maps, but I don't whether it was his first.