Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRunner

Hi Res Textures in a Wad?

ZDoom supports "regular" high resolution graphics too. But yeah, that's been obsoleted by the addition of PNG support.

Fredrik said:

ZDoom supports "regular" high resolution graphics too. But yeah, that's been obsoleted by the addition of PNG support.

As far as I can tell, PNG is not high-res yet and nothing has been obsoleted.

All it appears to mean right now is a different format. They have to be 8-bits - that means they have a palette, (probably has to be the DOOM palette). It doesn't give more visual resolution, nor more color depth.

Plus you can't scale them as you can the regular hi-res textures yet (which are for all practical purposes much easier to use right now).

Maybe in the future (when he adds 32bit color) they may have some purpose besides just being a different format. There was some mention of adding something to the PNG to indicate scaling stuff - of course that will mean another new utility just for one port.

This means PNG is more trouble than it's worth right now since you don't get a single visual benefit and a lot of extra hassle.

you'll be able to have actual hires textures in the wad in the next version of ZDoomGL, complete with the ability to add new textures that are hires only (but those can only be accessed via the shaders).

FireBastard said:

This means PNG is more trouble than it's worth right now since you don't get a single visual benefit and a lot of extra hassle.

if you ignore the fact that it's compressed and thus not insanely huge.

sargebaldy said:

if you ignore the fact that it's compressed and thus not insanely huge.

Zipping file compresses bout the same as a PNG. So it's not a d'l file size advantage. So yeah, I ignore that as a benefit since it's old skool thinking obsoleted by cheap huge hard drives.

Meaning PWAD file size hardly means anything today. Give me editing advantages and LOOKS for god's sake. Giant drives are dirt cheap and so is memory. Me no worry about file size:)

Is ZDOOMGL going to be different yet (?ugh?) that really is a problem.