Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

the real arcade machine

well for next summer's project i want to make a doom arcade game. i want the classic shape and size of most arcade systems.
however some sudgesstions are needed

controler type, i wish to use a joy stick. What is a good model with just the right number of buttons, ok maybe 1 or 2 extra, and in a very arcade style. or one that can be rebuilt just like an arcade contol panle (this is really my plan)

port to use, which can be set up to be more arcade like.

artwork, this isnt my strong point. i can build the base system and do the wood working but what about artwork made just for this setup? i am looking for the good old 70,80's style artwork. yep going for that retro look.

the hardware that i am useing

pentium 200Mhz CPU
128 MB system RAM
voodoo2 graphics card
soundblaster AWE64
1.5GB hard drive, this is just for doom
my classic cooling system, based on a kodak photo printing stand that housed a server and high end printer (that system cost 20,000)

Sony tinitron 17 inch CRT, maybe a 21 inch

has anyone done this before? i help a friend do a similar one that played duke3d, wolf3d, rott, quake and yes doom. the hardest part is the controler and artwork.
the costs
$200 and that was with new monitor in his. the rest was wood. monitor was $90

Sounds cool. You'll need a row of seven buttons for the guns, though. Reminds me of someone I knew who who found an old arcade game in a dump and rigged it to play for free . . . Awesome, man! Almost makes me want to go dump-looting . . . Oh, and use jDoom. (And if gooberman ever finishes Doom arcade, that'll obviously go well, too.)

Grimm said:

Sounds cool. You'll need a row of seven buttons for the guns, though. Reminds me of someone I knew who who found an old arcade game in a dump and rigged it to play for free . . . Awesome, man! Almost makes me want to go dump-looting . . . Oh, and use jDoom. (And if gooberman ever finishes Doom arcade, that'll obviously go well, too.)

That's for zDoom dude. Oh, idea, right.

Cabinet type: Doom logo, episodes in heretic green writing under the logo, doom2 picture behind all that.

Game setup : PSX Doom-like, but with all the maps at full detail are there, PSX music, Doom64 music for Doom2 part, PSX exclusive maps included as secret maps, Redemption Denied before D2 Map30, use jDoom. Doom64-type HUD, weapon pics on left side of screen*, keys above armor reading, ammo readouts are gone like Doom64. Use a password system.

* = When the player doesn't have the weapon, it's transparent/blocked out from the player's view. When the player has it, it looks just like it's sprite counterpart with the name of that weapon on the side. This is what I mean.

(Fist Pic)
(Pistol Pic) Pistol
(Shotgun outline)
(SSG Pic) Super Shotgun

So on...

Use PSX Letters!

Controls:

________(STRAFE)_____________
(USE)___(RUN)________(NEXT WEAPON)
_____________________(PREV WEAPON)_________(O)

(W1) (W2) (W3) (W4) (W5) (W6) (W7) (SSG) (CHNSW)

(O) = Joystick
(W?) = Weapon
(SSG) = Obvious
(CHNSW) = Chainsaw

Current active powerup is shown above player's health.

Suggested specs :

P266-500MHz,
64-128Mb RAM,
2.0 GB Hard Drive
GeForce3 ti200 (or a powerful GeForce1)
32MB (DDR) Video RAM

Oh, 1 more thing : We could remake our 9 favorite Heretic levels as a "Secret Episode", LOL

IDEA: : I could remake the UD Maps (and D2), ahem, "SUPER-DETAILED" for you and send em to u via eMail and you can put em in there if you do make this. :P

I think you should have a trackball like the old Millapede arcade machines.

Also, I thought the Voodoo 2 was only a 3d accelator and not a 2D card by itself so is some onboard videochip on the motherboard being used or something? Or am I wrong? I do remember that dual Voodoo 2's are better than one Voodoo 3 for 3D and you can't have dual 3's like that.

yes you are correct. there is a basic video card with a sis chipset.

i did think about a trackball but i figured it may be too hard for most people to get use to, mainy one so big. maybe a smaller one but that wouldnt fit the image very well. also i couldnt think of where i could get such a large trackball.

currently i am thining about a 7 button joystick
shoot
open
strafe left
strafe right
weapons forward
weapons backwards
run/walk

Ubik said:

Somebody saw Grosse Point Blank, eh?

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Job said:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.

The funny thing was that the guy was playing map30 in god mode.

Ubik said:

Heh, you'd think you can't put codes into an arcade.

Ubik said:

Also, about 15 seconds later you can see him playing map01 shooting down a pistoldude.

Job said:

Heh, you'd think you can't put codes into an arcade.

Worst 2000th post ever.

Lüt said:

Worst 2000th post ever.

Oh, c'mon. I made my own thread for it. First it was in EE, then it was helled, then it was resurrected into a beautiful butterfly-thread in Blogs. :D

Sephiroth said:

currently i am thining about a 7 button joystick

This is probably a silly idea, but:
Would you consider wiring a port that would accept a PlayStation controller or other mass-produced gamepad?
I rather liked the PlayStation Doom control scheme; and as a control device you've got plenty of buttons to work with, and probably decades worth of easy replacements via Ebay, if needed...