Sephiroth

population

population concerns  

21 members have voted

1. 1. population concerns

• population should become a focus
    • population control is not important
    • not sure

something that america needs to start thinking about is population controls. the point is to take care of it before it becomes a large problem.
to me it is better just to have 2 kids who can have a decent quality life rather than 6 kids in poverty.
though limits on children would piss off many, mainly religions, it is something that should be a focus of the government.

too many people are a social, economic and emotional drain.

the question is how?

at this point i see social programs being an answer rather than stiff laws. such as improved and required (many private schools dont teach sexual education) education in birth control and cheap or free birthcontrol provided to low income families and teens. more support in condom use, something americans seem to not like (look at our STD stats, america is not a very condom loving country)

Also more recomendations into birth control after say a second child. such as "tying tubes" or vasectimies(spelling?) This is something my cousin should do, not only is she poor and pregnant with a 3rd (i think) but she is not suppose to be having any children due to the fact she has cervical cancer. she says her husband is too young for a vasectimy, but i know people who got them at 22 (he is 24)

the days of needing to have 8 kids are over, nor can it be supported by most people. Its better to have a better life than alot of life.

what are your thoughts

Sephiroth said:

Its better to have a better life than alot of life.

So maybe we should kill everybody except a handful of people who live really good lives?

I'm certainly doing my part to stop the growth rate.

*continues to sit at home in silence without a girlfriend*

The problem is, religion. In the usa, christanity reigns supreme, and they see every birth as a gift from god. Population control would meet stiff resistance from these people.
Apparently, they wish to see the world overflowing with starvation, disease, suffering, distruction of the ecosystem, and everything else that goes along with the gargantuan human population.
Of course, only because they want as many people as possible to hear of jesus. How stupid is that?

the united states does not have a population problem. without immigration, your population would actually be shrinking. it's the other continents that might need stricter controls.

I think the peoples of the third world should STOP FUCKING EACHOTHER. Christ, it's bad enough that these people live in such poor conditions, but they decide to bring in more children to ensure that more of them will suffer and die early.

the US is barely growing in population, and last i heard europe is on the decline. asia and africa are breeding like rabbits though, and i imagine in time they'll figure out how stupid that is on their own and it'll balance itself out naturally. (yes, i always take the passive approach to problem solving :P)

I think the problem with the third world isn't simply a problem with people having too much sex. You're never going to be able to tell people to stop having sex anyway. The problem rather lies with a lack of sex education, and the lack of widely available contraceptives. But of course that all costs money...

ravage said:

The Aschen will gradually wipe us out within 10 years, by sterilizing us all.

Heh

Hey, I come from a family of eight children (my mother was an only child, and she hated it and so decided to overcompensate). Anyways, the solution is easy. But yeah, the passive approach works well, too. It's the third-world that's really the problem. Okay, the passive approach is bad, too, but what are we going to do? Bomb the entire third-world with condoms?

"Legalized in 1983, this eased overpopulation."
"What is baby-killing?"
-Jeopardy 1999 on SNL

Oh sure, lets blame the Third World! After all, they are the source of all our problems!

Actually WE, the First World are the problem. We confiscate all wealth and resources for ourselves and leave others to starve. If we were to share things more equally there wouldn't be anymore hunger.

Like a wise man once said: "There is enough for everyone's need but not for everyone's greed."

It seems to me that people in developing countries have a lot of children not because of their religion but to make sure at least one of their offspring will survive. Malaria, HIV and War kill thousands of people every hour and the chances are most of your children will not reach maturity. Without children you'll have no-one to look after you when you're old or ill. In the Third World children are the best way to ensure your own survival.

If the parents were living under better circumstances they would probably choose to have less children. If you want to prevent over-population you'll have to improve the conditions of the poor...

No, the best way to ensure your own survival is to not die. The ancient notion that children are a means to immortality is just ridiculous. When you're dead you're dead, and if you can't do things for yourself (needing health-care) you probably should be dead.

m0l0t0v said:

stuff

yeah but the problem is, giving out free food just leads to dependence on that food. if you live somewhere where there's no food, you should try to get the hell away from there. it doesn't make sense for people to live in a densely populated area with not enough sources of food and then demand it from elsewhere. people need to learn to take care of their own problems.

if you live in a nation like india with over a billion people, you shouldn't expect other people to reward you for such ridiculous overpopulation. if you live in a nation in the middle east, you shouldn't expect as much food because frankly you're in an environment that doesn't support growing food as well. even animals know they can only live in areas where there's food available. MOVE.

Places without food need to be given food by us (cause we're swimming in the stuff) until they can build a hi-tech industry of some sort with which to buy food. Go Japan!

not all nations want a hi-tech industry though. and i have no problems with the US loaning out food that can be paid back for later. giving away free food to aid economic competitors without even getting paid back for it later just seems silly and probably isn't going to happen. i do really like the idea of developing nations borrowing funds from the US (with low interest) in order to get stuff going though.

sargebaldy said:

yeah but the problem is, giving out free food just leads to dependence on that food. if you live somewhere where there's no food, you should try to get the hell away from there. it doesn't make sense for people to live in a densely populated area with not enough sources of food and then demand it from elsewhere. people need to learn to take care of their own problems.

if you live in a nation like india with over a billion people, you shouldn't expect other people to reward you for such ridiculous overpopulation. if you live in a nation in the middle east, you shouldn't expect as much food because frankly you're in an environment that doesn't support growing food as well. even animals know they can only live in areas where there's food available. MOVE.

That is the stupidest god dmaned thing I've ever heard you say.

Consider me. I'm a middle class white male in an affluent and technologicaly advanced country. I'd like to move to Canada, but I cant because I don't have enough money, and probably couldnt get the right papers and whatnot in time for complete emmigration.

Then consider someone in a third world country. They have about 3 cents to their name if they're lucky, they probably live under a toltalitarian regime or something almost as opressive. Their country is probably 90% desert or jungle. Now if I cant even move out of my country, HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO MOVE?

walk? do you really think all the borders are protected? and your 3c estimate is a bit low. the average indian makes the equivalant of about $2,540 a year.

Whoop de fucking doo. And no they can't walk. Like when all those Kurds tried to flee Iraq and were met at the Turkish border by armed Turkish soldiers. Then even if they DO fucking make it out of their country alive, they will probably be deported, because most countries have laws on immigration and foreigners. You cant just fuicking walk out of a country. I couldnt even walk into Canada. Or Mexico for that matter.

then how the hell do so many mexicans make it into the united states? and that's not even to mention the cubans, who have to fucking boat over here at a high risk of death. and something tells me the canadian border is not secure at all. the US has 7 million illegal immigrants all told. when there's a will there's a way.

Ultraviolet:
...and if you can't do things for yourself (needing health-care) you probably should be dead.

I seriously hope that you were making a bad joke there...

sargebaldy:
MOVE

Well, if only they could. The West exploits and starves the Third world countries, and when they try to move to a better place they are labelled economical refugees and forbidden to enter. The United States for example have gained much wealth from exploiting its southern neighbour Mexico, yet virtually no mexicans are allowed to pass the border...

[EDIT]: dooh! Dan beat me to it! [EDIT]

We live in a decadent imperialist world that condones and supports large scale racism, child labor, exploitation and genocide just so we can buy our meat a little cheaper or buy trendy shoes.

I agree giving them food isn't the solution. The only way the Third World can free itself from poverty is to close it's borders and end all export and labor for the First World. Unfourtunally the imperialist would never allow this. This is why America funds corrupt government in Africa.
We all want to end world hunger, but if that means giving up that third television set or that second car, many will be too selfish.

Yes comrads, there is only one solution...

Hasta la victoria siempre!

m0l0t0v said:

This is why America funds corrupt government in Africa.

I'm glad you added that yourself. The greed of the First World is only half the problem. The corruption in the Third World is the other half of the problem.

Create superintelligent superhuman furries and kill everyone but them (and me). Problem solved!