Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Classic Doom after Doom III

Who here besides me think that they will still play online and edit levels for classic Doom, even after Doom III is released?

Here's my reason why I think I'll still be playing classic Doom in addition to Doom III:

1) Not as scary
2) Runs fast on 99.9% of all PCs
3) LAN co-op with real people
4) Countless WADs = sub-infinite replay
5) Doom Builder...
6) Nostalgia
7) Probably easier to edit than Doom III...
8) New at editing, and wants to release a megawad later on...
9) Can display 78,320,156 monsters on screen no problem.
10) Think... Contra, the first great co-op game... in 3D

Count me in. Doom is just so addictive, its like virtual lycanthropy. You think you've had enough but its never enough...

Actually, Doom has an object limit that can be on the screen at one time. It's definately more than anyone would want on screen, but it's there. I think it's somewhere around 500-1000 things or some crap like that. But, back on subject.

I've always loved to play and edit Doom, and I always will, even when Doom3 comes out. Ooh, maybe we could make a mega*wad* in Doom3? Do something like port FragPort to D3?

There was an instance where I saved a Quake 2 map as a .wad file. LOL

Just because Doom3 will come out doesn't mean I'm going to drop everything and run and buy a better computer so I can play Doom3.
I'm going to stick with Doom and Doom2 editing for some time now, you can rest assured of that. It's so easy and fun to do it will be hard to give Doom editing up.

I've been happily playing and editing Doom1-2 on and off for the past 8-9 years or so, i don't think even a new Doom will change that.

I will still edit a bit and play once in a while, yes, but I'll be editing primarily for Doom3.

Igor9 said:

Count me in. Doom is just so addictive, its like virtual lycanthropy. You think you've had enough but its never enough...

wth? You've experienced being a virtual wolf?

And yeah I'll still be playing Doom after Doom III comes out. Even if Doom III is a great game, doesn't mean you have to stop playing the greatest.

In many ways, Doom3 isn't Doom. Or at least it isn't (or rather won't be) what keeps me playing Doom. First and formost for me Doom is the ease of editing. The ability to slap down a few lines, chuck in a few enemies and have a working level (of sorts) in minutes. It has a simple data structure that I understand. The files I need to DL are tiny by comparison to modern games. In short, from a number of perspectives, Doom is easy to modify and familiar to me. That's pretty high on the list of things that have kept me coming back to Doom for almost 10 years.

Doom3 may be telling the same story. It may feature the "same" monsters, but it's not the same. It's a totally new technology with a totally new feel. I play Doom because I can rip it apart and reassemble it in ways that I want. I have no real interest in doing that for a new engine, and even less interest in exposing myself to the learning curve that it would require. If I did, I'd be editing quake or unreal or something already.

pritch said:

wth? You've experienced being a virtual wolf?

During the full moon, my transformation into an angry shotgun beast running amok in the halls of Doom becomes complete.

Fredrik said:

I only just got started with classic Doom.

me too. i'm just getting used to vanilla editing, much less scripting, z events, multi-action line defs, dehacked, et cetera.

plus i'm in the drawing board stages of about three or four megawad projects for classic doom.

I say this loosely, but I think that I will be one of the last Doomers around... I've played it for years watching newer games "surpass" it, but it will forever rank as my #1 favorite game of all time (past, present, and future).

I'll be playing it after I have grandkids, and they will play it and appreciate how good a game it is.

Of course I'll still be playing and editing Doom. Of course, I will also do Doom 3. I've got a bitchin' idea after playing Blood Omen 2 . . .

Converted DOOMer said:
Who here besides me think that they will still play online and edit levels for classic Doom, even after Doom III is released?

Practically everyone here.

If Dark Forces/Duke 3D/Quake/Quake 2/Half-Life/System Shock2 didn’t stop us, why would doom 3?

and Unreal, UT, Half-life, CS, Quake III... and on and on...

Honestly, I have a very good P4 2.0 GHZ with a Radeon 8000 and own most of those games mentioned above, but there's something about Doom that makes me hunger for more... kinda like crack... but less deadly

Converted DOOMer said:
>Here's my reason why I think I'll still be
>playing classic Doom in addition to Doom III:
>
>1) Not as scary

That's probably the worst blasphemy I've read around here.

Of course I'll keep playing and mapping for doom. It's been 10 years and peoeple still play and edit for it. I dont think even doom3 could stop that, no matter how good it is.

these old dos and windows 95 are fast, reliable, don't require a long loading time, and most importantly, they are classic, of course i'll get doom 3 when it comes out, but i will never stop playing the ol' Zdoom

'doom III' doesn't interest me in the least. i probably won't even bother warezing it till it's been out a few months. so yeah, classic doom all the way and stuff.

With the computers I got now and the money situation I am in.. I don't know when I will ever be even close to playing DOOM III when It comes out. I will be around. But I am not sure if NFHL EP II will be finished. I am giveing it another six months. If DOOM III comes out in that time. Well then it would be almost useless to try and Finish NHFL EP II.
But anyway.(on topic) I will be here still.

Why are we all deciding which game we will play when one of them hasn't even come out yet?