Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Opulent

DSDA / TAS update

Opulent,

Thanks a lot for all your time and trouble keeping the DSDA alive and well for the rest of us to enjoy.

This gets a w00t. Nice job.

Now that the Marswar demoset is released, I have unstuck the thread about it, BTW.

Opulent said:

I didn't add the demos from this forum yet because I ran out of time... I plan on adding some of them for sure.

Ah, OK. I think I mentioned that any I attach in this forum are intended for DSDA unless I specifically say otherwise.

Sooo... anyone's thoughts on any of the demos?
the more I think about it, the more I think Andrey's TAS movie is on par with the best TAS movies. just electric!
well, I could go on and on, I better stop before I get started about every single demo. :)
Rich: thanks for the kind words. I don't plan on going away anytime soon, but nothing on the internet lasts forever... except maybe microsoft.com.

From Kristian Ronge's tsspeed.txt:

As I said before, I don't believe map 32 is completable from
scratch. Does anyone care to prove me wrong!? ;-)

I vaguely recall having played all these maps from a pistol start some years ago. In fact, it's not that tough as long as you don't mind dying. See the attached file. The zip also includes a previous demo on this wad - the official one from Team Suxx, no less. And it suxx too!

(ThisSuxx.wad Map32 UV Speed 0:12.)

ts32-012.zip

Grazza said:
>This gets a w00t. Nice job.

Seconded. About time, too =).

>Now that the Marswar demoset is released, I have unstuck
>the thread about it, BTW.[/i]

Now that DSDA is updated, you can leave the house Ops. Don't be afraid - that black 'chopper that hovered over it every night the past couple weeks is gone <eg>.

Grazza said:
I vaguely recall having played all these maps from a pistol start some years ago. In fact, it's not that tough as long as you don't mind dying. See the attached file.

Damn.. You're absoultely right. :-)
When I saw your message here I loaded it up myself and made it the first time. The problem I had was I was trying to punch out Romero's ugly head... ;-)

Attaching my first try/first exit. It's slow (16 seconds) but my "quest" is over. ;D

Kristian Ronge said:

Attaching my first try/first exit. It's slow (16 seconds) but my "quest" is over. ;D

I don't see anything in the attachment list. Did you preview your post before making it? If you preview, the forum software "forgets" about the attachment, and you need to reattach it before posting.

BTW, I tried Nightmare on this map with no success - I just couldn't shoot or punch Romero enough before the second (and fatal) archie blast.

Okay, okay.. No more spamming the board. ;-)

I just ran map 32 again, and this time I managed to stay alive. Neat! (Time is still sloooow, though, 15 secs.)

I'm attaching this instead. Hope it works this time... Thanks again, Grazza!

ts32-015.zip

Never_Again said:

Seconded. About time, too =).
[/i]
Now that DSDA is updated, you can leave the house Ops. Don't be afraid - that black 'chopper that hovered over it every night the past couple weeks is gone <eg>.

hehe
still didn't update everything... hope there's something there you like, Never.
Kristian, glad you got 32 as well... I think I watched Grazza's demo when he posted it in /newstuff long ago.

Opulent said:
Kristian, glad you got 32 as well... I think I watched Grazza's demo when he posted it in /newstuff long ago.

Thanks, Op. You're much too kind. To tell you the truth, I'm humbled by the very presence of such great players as Graham. I had no idea he'd already done those runs... it was a hoot to find I'm not the only one who had played that WAD through!

Uh, there are some crossed wires here. The only demo I have recorded on THISSUXX.WAD is ts32-012.lmp, recorded 10-Nov-2003. THISSUXX.LMP was made by one of the guys responsible for the wad itself (as I said, "Weeds" IIRC), and was originally posted in the CompuServe Action Games Forum. It is just one of the old files I have from that era. It was previously mentioned here, but I don't recall making it available before (apart from sending it to sargebaldy together with a shovel-load of other stuff).

Thanks, but I'm sure I don't by any stretch of the imagination deserve to be called a great player. Enthusiastic, yes, but skill-wise pretty average. And that's not just false modesty. ;-(

Oh (where are my manners?), I forgot to welcome you. It's nice to see familiar names from the compet-n forums showing up here.

Yes, I believe that is the same "Weeds". The guy who (co-)created THISSUXX.WAD also made the music for Eternal. Amazing, isn't it?

IIRC, his name has nothing to do with drugs, and more to do with the horticultural variety.

I'm slowly getting through the update, but there's an awful lot to watch there. The STRAIN demos were the ones I watched first, since it is one of my favourite megawads. Nice stuff. They play back OK with Eternity (eternity -file strain.wad -deh strain.deh -playdemo), except that there is an exit bug of some sort with map07, so instead of the stats screen coming up, we just see the player standing in the exit area.

Grazza said:

I'm slowly getting though the update, but there's an awful lot to watch there. The STRAIN demos were the ones I watched first, since it is one of my favourite megawads. Nice stuff. They play back OK with Eternity (eternity -file strain.wad -deh strain.deh -playdemo), except that there is an exit bug of some sort with map07, so instead of the stats screen coming up, we just see the player standing in the exit area.

haha... that's funny.
yeah, about time we saw some improved demos on Strain. I also watched those as soon as I got them.(and once again had to install that damn thing. :)

oops, better get back to work....

Grazza said:
Uh, there are some crossed wires here. The only demo I have recorded on THISSUXX.WAD is ts32-012.lmp, recorded 10-Nov-2003.

I'm got things wrong, as usual. I guess I can blame the "language barrier". ;-D

Thanks, but I'm sure I don't by any stretch of the imagination deserve to be called a great player.

You have to be joking. I've seen a handful of your demos, and most of them are better than some I've seen over at the COMPET-N!

Oh (where are my manners?), I forgot to welcome you. It's nice to see familiar names from the compet-n forums showing up here.

Thank you for your warm welcome! Heh, the only participation on behalf of my part in the COMPET-N would be via the forums. :-)

I notice that the modified prboom used by Andrey Budko for his 1427uv01 seems to feature a fix of the GF49/GB49 bug. I'd really like to get hold of a copy of that.

BTW, this demo plays back OK (for me, at least) with glboom 2.2.4 (it's claimed not to work with any versions other than 2.3.0).

Maikl's cring666.lmp also plays back OK using the version of the wad which is available from Mark Klem's site (download). This version includes a lot of new/recoloured graphics and new sounds.

I didn't see this post until now.
Andrey's prboom is his, I would imagine. You could email him...
I tested that run with several ports and versions of Prboom.
Eternity3.31beta3 and Prboom2.30 were the only ones that could playback passed map09.
thanks for watching!

There's masses of great stuff in the update, but I think the one that has amazed me most is Angus's sr26-235. Maybe that's partly because of the exact 100% kills (was he psychic?) and the 3% health exit, but it's a damned impressive run regardless.

Doug,

Thanks for posting those demos from the Demo Forum. As for mine, I intended to send some of those to you but you saved me the work. Good man, always thinking ahead. :)

I still have some others out there which I plan to send you in the near future.

Yay, updated again (22 December). Less than a meg this time (no Maikl demos :( ), but a brief look at the contents suggests there is some good stuff in there.