Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thehappycommunist

why does everyone call him doomguy?

heh.

His 'real name' isn't anything. YOU are him. Doomguy is just a term that has arisen over the years to actually refer to what he is in the game, during conversation, for editing purposes or whatnot.

His real name certainly isn't Flynn Taggart. That was just the name of a character in the Doom novels which represented him. Flynn Taggart is just about as much his real name as Arlene Sanders, i.e not at all.

Thehappycommunist said:

his real name is flynn taggart or somethimng like that.,.........

Uhm, no, He is only called that in the books, and if you try search for them on the forum, you will see alot of people don't like them. However he is nameless, because you are the hero.

Thehappycommunist said:

the doomguy is really.............. Ted Kennedy!!!!!!!!!

OMG

Actually, it doesn't matter what the hell his name is. If you noticed, he has a fully-concealing helmet and gloves (but yes, he does seem to be caucasian in the mug HUD as well as his wrists...but still, they may be edited) for a reason. So that you, no matter your name, ethnicity, etc can associate with the character and put yourself in his combat boots.

Flynn Taggart, ha ha. What a complete fag.

you are him, that is really suppose to be the feel of an FPS. you are the hero,

hey has anyone made a black doom guy face, asian, any other ethnic look to him

Thehappycommunist said:

Oh wow...

And so starts the flame wars.

I'm suprised I haven't found this thread earlier. Everyone has already said what I was going to say, the books suck.

Thehappycommunist said:

I'm gonna gnaw out your heart with my teeth and pour salt in the wound :-P

All right, joke time's over, here's my more serious answer:

Flynn (middle name Faggot) Taggert was the name some sci-fi writers who didn't have a clue appointed to the main character in a series of novels very loosely based on Doom.
However, judging by the fact that the books' storyline was complete off compared to the games (the monsters are space aliens instead of demons from Hell, Deimos ends up floating above Earth instead of Hell and the Doom 2 storyline with the star port is completely missing), I would go ahead and say that the Doom novels is an entirely different story with different heroes.

The name in itself may not be the worst travesty - it's certainly not that which makes me ballistic when people think that's the doomguy's name. No, what makes me pissed off about that assumption, is that they link the awful storyline in the books to the game's storyline which is a big, personal insult to guys like me who love the games, but hate the books.

Get it over your head: The books have zippo to do with the games, except in the title and perhaps some barely recognizable story elements, thus they should not be linked in any way.

I made three frames of a black face - turned out better than expected, but since I haven't had a reason to use it, I stopped at the third frame.

According to Fredrik's STOREEs and my sequels to it, his real name is a time-variant three-syllable two-word speech unit, based on "Flynn Faggart". And that's the only thing that matters. It's more important that the game storyline even.

Sephiroth said:

Well, I made a face replacement once. While it wasn't my original intention, thinking about it now, it looks kind of Arabic (he has a black beard and mid-dark skin). I think I still have the frames for it somewhere, but I never released it since it's pretty poorly drawn.

I made a Mr. T Doomguy.

P.S.: The Freedoomguy looks like Goldmember from Austin Powers 3.