Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

doom2.exe

1. anyone know how to set up the keybinds? the num codes in config.cfg have me stumped

2. i dont suppose it's possible to play at a higher rez!?

I'm not sure, but if you insert the parameters "-width 640 -height 480", you should see it in 640X480 resolution, which is the best that doom2.exe can make (again, i THINK so). I don't know about the key bindings. Get Zdoom:)

You can do so via the setup.exe program ("confgure controller"). AFAIK, the only thing you're likely to need to change by editing the config file is if you wish to use joyb_speed 29 to give you autorun (pretty simple: open in notepad, change the number and save).

No, you can't change the resolution.

You'll probably want to use novert to disable the mouse's vertical sensitivity.

cheers, next question: sound wont initialise. i've got a creative sound blaster live with sb16 dos emulation and i'm running it from a dos window under 98se... ?

edit: i learnt about that joyb 29 thing about 4 seconds ago elsewhere, heh. someone tell me the number next to their key_use in their doom2 config file as i broke mine and cant find the spacebar again. got the rest of my keys set up now though (QWEASD)

Have you chosen what look like sensible options in setup.exe? I'm not a 98se user myself, but AFAIK that doesn't have sound issues with doom2.exe. If there are any oddities, hopefully a 98se+doom2.exe user will see this thread...

BTW, Q = quit; I didn't think it could be remapped.

someone tell me the number next to their key_use in their doom2 config file as i broke mine and cant find the spacebar again

yay it works! that novert util's nice too. q binds fine. its only turn_left which idont really use unless i'm toying with strafe50 jumps. but yeah, it works! bwuhahahahaha. now i just need another 2 computers so i can -left / -right, heh.

cheers y'all

ok i still cant get the sound configured to work, at all. i've copied the dos emulation settings from my sound card's setup to no avail:

snd_channels		8
snd_musicdevice		0
snd_sfxdevice		0
snd_sbport		220
snd_sbirq		7
snd_sbdma		1
snd_mport		330
should those 0s be something else? if i set sfxdevice to 1 the internal speaker makes the sounds!

Have you tried using setup.exe ("Choose Music Sound Card" and "Choose Sound FX Card")? Unless that fails for some reason, you shouldn't need to change these settings manually. You may need to experiment a bit with different options.

FWIW, mine looks like this:

snd_channels		8
snd_musicdevice		8
snd_sfxdevice		1
snd_sbport		544
snd_sbirq		-1
snd_sbdma		-1
snd_mport		816
That's for XP though, and I have chosen PC Speaker for sound FX, since it is the best of a bad bunch.

If you don't have legacy sound drivers than you might be SOL.
this is for Windows98 only:
You can try setting it for compatibility:
START button -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Multimedia the first TAB is sound -- toggle the Playback device dropdown box.
if you have "Game compatible device" -- change it to that.
if you don't have that option:

1)you can try changing (test and reset) your irq channels for your devices so the sound card is a lower 16-bit address. (3, 5, 7) but honestly, I think this is a waste of time on my systems. but it is cheaper than buying a new card... (WRITE DOWN your settings before you change them! -- or backup your registry if you are handy that way)

2) alternatives:
a) Are any similar games (dos Quake, for example) able to play sound?
you could simply copy their sound settings to DOOM.

3) can you install boom2.02? - that uses Allegro drivers and can autodetect your soundcard settings. if this fails(or freezes your system), I'd say your are out of luck.
4) get technical support from your soundcard manufacturer or look for drivers at their site.
gl.

1. setup.exe ? not got one of those

2. both vanilla quake.exe and even vanilla wolf3d.exe magically work but i cant see any settings to copy ingame or in any config files!

edit: sorted. found a setup.exe in my doom/junk dir, heh. ran that and configged it. hurrah, cheers again kids!

Ok hmm, check the settings that your SB16 Dos Emulation uses, on IceDaggers computer it says "Emulation set to DMA etc, channel etc" and that kind of stuff, if not try all the different options in setup.exe... Im sure ucan find that somewhere.

Novert is cool but not neccesary, as I said, try to look for the settings the emulation gives u :)

Any Creative Labs card newer than an Awe 32 or so are notoriously difficult to get working with DOS programs, even with the SB16 emulation.

If you ever have difficulties getting sound to work in other DOS programs, I highly recommend VDMSounds. As well as fixing the sound, it can also solve memory, graphics, controller, network, etc problems, and seems to work in something like 95% of all cases. About the only thing it won't help with is the incompatability between certain DOS4GW programs and WinNT/2000/XP/etc, such as Police Quest 4.

NiGHTMARE said:
If you ever have difficulties getting sound to work in other DOS programs, I highly recommend VDMSounds.

That program really helped me out in getting Build games to run on my XP box again (but alas, without music), but DOS Doom ports just refuse to run. The only option I've left is to rebuild my old P60 :/

there are 2 programs... VDM Sound and FXSound or somethnig like that, they both work but the sound is lagged by like... .500 seconds or something which is really annoying, and thats on 1800Mhz machines and shit :(