Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thehappycommunist

have any of you ever heard of shadow warrior or strife

Strife uses the Doom engine. I don't have that game, but I do have Shadow Warrior.

Probably more accurate to say Shadow Warrior uses the BUILD engine, seeing as how Duke was just one of many games to use the BUILD engine.

More info...

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/build/games.php

Strife does indeed use the Doom engine (as Ichor said). IIRC it was the last game released that used the Doom engine. Despite that, it doesn't use the enhanced Hexen style level format (maybe Raven had copyright or something) but it does add many enhancements of its own. You can grab the Shareware demo from the Doomworld shareware DL pages. The demo is based on an early version that only allows one save "slot" per game.

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/shareware.php

Unfortunately there are no modern source ports that give full Strife support because the original code is not available. Although Vavoom and now Zdoom are both making advances in supporting it. There is still a long way to go with both ports though.

Strife is a fairly impressive game. I think the shooter element of it wasn't as good - it had no exceptional weapons or enemies IMO. But it was a really ambitious FPS for it's time. Through making different choices, I found lots of stuff I hadn't even seen before when I played it through the first time.

Have I heard about them? Yeah, plenty of times. I remember seeing screenshots of Strife in some computer game mag back when Doom was still the Uncontested King(TM), but I discarded it as "yet another Doom clone" (because the first lines of the review stated just that).

Years later I got to try it out - very intuitive and interesting.

Shadow Warrior I've seen a friend play. but it never won my heart. To my eyes it was like a mediocre Duke 3d ripoff.

Blood on the other hand...

I've played through them both. Haven't played either one of them in quite a while though, due to WinXP/DOS incompatibilities. It'd be nice to see some custom Strife missions. I know there was a deathmatch map for Strife made recently that's supposedly the first released PWAD for it.

Heh, I just finished playing the second episode of Blood, especially The Overlooked Hotel and The Haunting. The only problem I have with Blood is that I have to go to DOS mode in order to use the biosuit. Otherwise it crashes once I enter the water.

Strife is something I'd love to see working on a port, definitely a unique and intriguing experience, tho as mentioned the enemies weren't as interesting or the weapons as fun to wield (in comparison to doom or heretic, that is), but still well-worth the time invested. The mission+hub combination system, multiple paths, some of which result in a different ending (3 total, I believe), NPCS and a voice guiding you along the way and reminding you that you're not fighting alone, it was all there.

Shadow Warrior I never got into, mostly because it just wasn't an interesting game, but also because I had the windows problem mentioned where going underwater results in an instant crash.

Also, as mentioned, Blood really needs a windows port. In fact there's a desparate effort being made to create a port using the duke3d source, but just about nothing works and it'll stay that way for a while.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I think the shooter element of it wasn't as good - it had no exceptional weapons or enemies IMO.

Funny, I thought the spread attack for the Mauler and the Sigil weapon were pretty exceptional. Enemies on the other hand, well your right.

Both games are sitting on my game-shelf.

Shadow Warrior: I do have the Mac-version of that game ^_^ Needs at least a 60MHz 601 PPC and MacOS 7.1, heh. Very funny LoWang talk, together with quite gory action. Nobody could take this game serious and hold it responsible for real life crime/shootings. I loved the many unique weapons like the "Sticky Bomb" ("Look, you have a new friend"), the grenade launcher and the nuke packs (Warning! 3 - 2- 1... ZAPP!). The "Shadow Warrior 3D" engine - remember, that there was also a "ShadowWarrior" somewhere in 1993 - also added the use of transparency effects to the Build Engine. Have you seen all the hidden Anime animations? hehe Also: 4 times the textures than Duke3D has. Spacious levels.

Strife: I loved the idea of adding adventure features to a fps, at least it was originally at this time. It is necessary to have the original CD (mah, what else could you have...), because the sound output is needed to get all out of the game. Also, some sound cards experience problems with Strife´s sound, like the PC emulation I used to play that game on my Mac. So I bought an old PeCe on eBay, just for older games like this. Maybe, this could also be the trick for people who only have XP: Just get yourself an old P200 for next to nothing...

Cool games, still worth a try. (Hint: there are demos available, the ShadowWarrior3D demo will take you some days to go through, like the demo of "Blood", which is also great stuff).

strife was great, i never played through the whole thing though(but did cheat to face the boss).

Shadow warrior was amazingly fun because of its retarded and nonstop action. Jump off a cliff into a boat, enemies blow up, boat gets sucked into whirlpool, grab dual uzis, gun down evil ninjas, slice them in half, jump in a tank, blow up walls, run over enemies, shotgun enemies to bits! It was just damn fun, but not in the same way as strife and games that make more sense. It could get boring fast.

Peter Heinemann said:

Maybe, this could also be the trick for people who only have XP: Just get yourself an old P200 for next to nothing...

Nah, best bet would be a something like a 500 with win95/98 (my old P200 wouldn't be able to run half the wads or most source ports out there these days)

Direct or indirect links to practically all Strife info available: here, Vavoom forums, ZDoom forums.

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if it's currently possible in ZDoom to load a quickly converted Shadow Warrior level with its textures and spawn Strife weapons and an enemy in it. Well it's probably possible for Duke3D and Blood levels. I don't know how much more advanced SW levels are.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Nah, best bet would be a something like a 500 with win95/98 (my old P200 wouldn't be able to run half the wads or most source ports out there these days)

That's half the point :P I kinda want something to run doom.exe on. I need to grab me an old 100mhz laptop from somewhere.

ravage said:

Funny, I thought the spread attack for the Mauler and the Sigil weapon were pretty exceptional. Enemies on the other hand, well your right.

The mauler just seemed like a standard shotgun in function to me. As for the sigil, I've actually forgotten the 3 different attacks for that... If there was three power levels for it. I'd forgotten the weapon entirely and I haven't played Strife in ages so I could be fabricating all of this as I go along.

Haven't played Strife yet... gonna try it out now.

Shadow Warrior is a blast and a half, from the tanks, to the katana, to the rabbit breeding.

The Sigil has 5 attacks in total, one for each added piece of the final weapon.

I tried Strife. Unfortunately, DOSbox has minimal support for it. (About 1fps and it crashes when you round the first corner), but oh well. Nice graphics and music though.

Shadow Warrior was fun for the sake of fun, and the Build engine's last big shine. It was crudely funny, it was violent and bloody, it was patently offensive at points, and it had drivable vehicles!

ToXiCFLUFF said:

The mauler just seemed like a standard shotgun in function to me. As for the sigil, I've actually forgotten the 3 different attacks for that... If there was three power levels for it. I'd forgotten the weapon entirely and I haven't played Strife in ages so I could be fabricating all of this as I go along.

I was talking about the superpowered Mauler, and the Sigil had about 5 different separate attacks, depening on what pices you had.

Ravage, you should add this to your signature: ".... or the victim of a succubus." They're probably like galgamecs except for the 3 feet wide part.

You know what's fun? Hacking the Sigil horizontal lightning trail into phosphorus fire.

This is with the flames set as projectiles so they burn out as soon as they hit the ground. If I have them actually last a while (during which they a spawn more) you get sprite overload really quick so then a bunch of flames become invisible. That's all with firing a single shot.

Gokuma said:

Ravage, you should add this to your signature: ".... or the victim of a succubus." They're probably like galgamecs except for the 3 feet wide part.

Four words: "Blue Collar Comedy Tour"