Find results in...
Arioch

The Two Towers Special Platinum Extended Edition

So, what did you think of it?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. So, what did you think of it?

• LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT
    • It was good, definitely a must-get.
    • Meh, I already have the Theatrical version DVD.
    • Nah, I could not care less.
    • Needed more impsex.

There's a few versions available on amazon, and none of them have DD, DTS, 2.0 Stereo, and 3 audio commentary tracks. Comparing it based on time is pointless.

And I agree with Arioch. I feel the added scenes really helped give substance to the story. While the new treebeard scenes aren't quite accurate (using the old man willow portion of the Tom Bombadil part of the story), it still made the interaction and relationship that treebeard had with the hobbits much more solid. The additional saruman scenes, although brief, were very enjoyable; Christopher Lee is win. I would have preferred to see the departure of boromir in FOTR personally, but I can see why it's here.

I love the book very much, and highly recommend anyone who likes good long books to read it. I appreciate the time and effort Peter Jackson and his crew put in to come as close as possible to the original story, while still being able to sell it to a major distributor and get worldwide appeal, wither you read the book or no.

Now, if only there was some way to prevent PJ from tearing out the saruman scenes in rotk...

Arioch said:

The customer is always wrong.

Checkmate. See sargebaldy. I OWN the Lawrence of Arabia (Single-disc edition) DVD. I know of what I speak. You jumped to conclusions and have lost credibility points.

I knew it was either 3:47 or 3:48, but chose the former. It's better to underestimate than exaggerate.

The multi-audio-track thing may be a factor. Obviously the LOTR movies have greater production quality, and would use more storage. Still, split-disc movies are turnoffs, especially when your movies are stored in a CD wallet with limited space and are carried portably.

yer all rubbish. next you'll be telling me you dont own Bladerunner on LaserDisc. 2 discs, 4 sides but boy oh boy is it worth it ... despite the lower resolution (aspect: 528 X 576 as opposed to 720 X 576), is still "better" than DVD quality as every frame is uncompressed!

yumyumyumyum yumyumyumyum

if they squeezed TTTEE onto one disc, i guarantee you i'd be able to see the mpeg. as for lawrence... isnt half of it in the desert? heh, not much change in tempo or contrast to bother the compressor then? heh

why dont you get yourself a dvd ripper and a meg big hard drive, copy it all across and then playlist them (windvd allows one to playlist video files, if you blink at the right moment you dont miss the transition). infact. if i had a bastard of a computer and didnt need to urinate then i'd probably do that with all 3 films. 12 hours straight anyone? i suppose i could have a hose pipe attatched...

cycloid said:

(aspect: 528 X 576 as opposed to 720 X 576), is still "better" than DVD quality as every frame is uncompressed!

yumyumyumyum yumyumyumyum

Wow, that's incredibly dumb.

if they squeezed TTTEE onto one disc, i guarantee you i'd be able to see the mpeg. as for lawrence... isnt half of it in the desert? heh, not much change in tempo or contrast to bother the compressor then? heh

Not a bad point actually.

why dont you get yourself a dvd ripper and a meg big hard drive, copy it all across and then playlist them (windvd allows one to playlist video files,

That's one of the most incredibly wasteful suggestions I've ever heard. Why don't I just flush my wallet down the toilet?

Oh yeah, as upgradable as Dell laptops are, getting a hard drive greater than 37GB is not cost-effective.

if you blink at the right moment you dont miss the transition).

Remember, everyone! When watching a movie, plan your blinks effectively! Don't be caught unprepared!

infact.

That's not a complete sentence.

AndrewB complained:

God damn, bitch bitch bitch. 2 discs, WHINE. I really don't see why you or anyone needs to make such a stink about 2 discs. "Gasp! I may have to get up!" It shouldn't be THE determining factor as to whether or not you purchase a movie. I know it's been said already but I feel it deserves another round.

AndrewB said:

Sorry, but the customer is always right. Know it.

There are few things in this world I hate more than that phrase.

the_Danarchist said:

Hey, I have an idea, how about we all get MORE nerdy and anal retentive?

I have to say when I heard the extended edition was on 2 disks I did have seconds thoughts. Still didn't stop me from purchasing it though. Some people may not mind having to swap half way through, but I don't see how anybody could argue that having to do a disk-swap is anything but a momentous technological step backwards (Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga anybody?).

Lawrence of Arabia is twice the movie The Two Towers is.
/me buys AndrewB a 2-hole toaster for Christmas. ;)

Heh, my computer is my DVD player, i only have to reach down from my chair XD

One thing some people havent gone into (on this page, cant be arsed to read whole thread), is that, well, sometimes there is such a thing as too many extras XD, this new set has like a solid week of viewing in there or something..wouldnt it get old?, is some fat bearded effects expert taking you through a wireframe build of gollum's "Split personality" speech again and again and again AND AGAIN...really worth it?

*Goes and buys it anyway, like the dim multiplex cattle he is* Ah well, maybe they have hidden teh hot legolas/whatever that sexy woman elf was called action in there somewhere!

Despite I have not seen the entire "Lord of the Rings" movie, the trailers I watched truly impressed me.
Btw: The movie "Lord of the Rings: Two towers" was completely paid with German money, I recently saw a report in the German TV magazine "Monitor", stating that most of the Hollywood movies of the last years were paid from funds the German "Auslandsfilmförderung" (foreign movie support fund) collected. German firms can save taxes by transferring money to these funds. So - without German money, no US movies, heh.

http://www.wdr.de/tv/monitor/beitrag.phtml?bid=434&sid=93

It´s in German language, so babelise it yourself or force me to translate more than the subject line, which says:
"Tax-Madness, German tax payer financing Hoolywood movies"