Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Why Live in the US When...

...there is a perfectly good country called Iceland? I really want to move there. I'm sick and tired of the materialistic, cell phone-toting, money hungry people here. When the worth of an individual is based on how many zeros are in his or her paycheck, I know something's up. I hear that in Iceland, education is free by the government, as well as health care. Granted, you lose a lot of your money in taxes, but it's well worth it. Hell, I pay for Social Security money in the States here, and I'll probably never live to see it. Not only that, but on the morning radio, I just heard about another retirement money fraud situation. The US is filled with money-grubbing jerkoffs who will stop at nothing to gain more money. The rich want more money so they can keep in power and the poor want it so they can either exist or become the rich. I know that people are always greedy by nature, but it seems like a plague -- a disease here. Post-secondary schooling costs a sickening amount of money, yet the US is always preaching about how education is the key to happiness and success...but Education, the big E, is such a money crop, there's no way they'd do it any other way. I never even trust anything these days to not cost me an arm and a leg or some hidden fee. Nor do I trust my school to overlook a possible way to screw me over and keep me longer than necessary. What a crock. I'd gladly pay 85% more taxes in Iceland and get free government support for all people than to stay here where the cost of living, and continuing to do so, is absolutely atrocious.

Man, I hate Capitalism and I hate the US's mantra.

DooMBoy said:

Heh, then by all means, move out. :P

I'd never bitch without intent. I'll move out as soon as I possibly can. You can count on it.

Sweden would probably be a better choice... but then again, I've never heard Netherlanders complain. :)

DEMOn said:

Sweden would probably be a better choice...

Damn straight! Though Norway might be better yet.

I really really want to visit Iceland. It's not quite as cold as people imagine, and I know lots of people who have been there, and they all seem very impressed.

The USA and Norway are great too though.

BTW, I take it you are aware that if you want to become an Icelandic citizen, you need to take an Icelandic name ("your name" "your father's name"sson) [edit: oops - that's not true; someone was telling me porkies], and there are some other hoops to jump through too - IIRC, you need to be resident for ten years or something.

If I decided I want to relocate from the UK, the countries I'd consider first of all are the USA, New Zealand and Denmark.

I'm not exactly thrilled with our government either, but I think they're all out to grab your money somehow. As long as a country uses some form of money, the greedy people in it will make it worse. The only way you could get rid of the greed is to start a new country without money. Heh.

Poor old Michael Jackson arrested for child abuse :(
and..they found class A drugs in his lounge, class B drugs in his kitchen...and class 5C in his bedroom! :P

Grazza said:

I really really want to visit Iceland. It's not quite as cold as people imagine...

I'm sure I could handle it. I live in Wisconsin after all. Heh. :)

It would be COMPLETELY insane to move to another part of the country...What makes you think that only americans are materialistic?

There is going to be 'money hungry jerk-offs' everywhere so you might as well get used to it.

fodders said:

and class 5C in his bedroom! :P

Roofies?

Heh...Iceland. Iceland is cool. They have Bjork and volcanoes and Vikings and stuff. Man, I'd move but there are too many choices and I love the Northwest too much. I wish Canada would take over Washington or something.

Ct_red_pants said:

I have come to the realisation that the US is actually a rich 3rd world country.

And all the third world countries are actually poor 1st world ones...

Lesson: DON'T SMOKE CRACK.

Job said:

..ugh.. too much to quote

job... I think you need to seriously re-evalutae your situation. I'll be the first to point out problems we have here in America, but do you honestly think that there is a magical utpoia called Iceland that is actually the greatest place to ever exist? Iceland will have many of the same problems and even some of their own. Materialism? This is a large part of any industrialized western nation today. Money grubbing? There are money grubbing people EVYERWHERE! Moving to another nation will NOT stop this, Iceland isn't a magical valhalla where everyone is hnost and good (well.. that I know of). Free Education? Is Higher Education Free in Iceland? If not, then America has the same free education called public Schools. Agreed, Tuition prices are soaring, placing the burden on students backs... so make the most out of it.

My point here Job, the "I'm moving away" ideology is the "Quick Fix" to your problem. If you are truly upset with America... don't abandon it, try to change it. Get involved with civil rights movements, go to war protests... heck run for office when you're able. Dispite the rollback of freedoms recently, it's still possible to turn your country around. Starting now...

...Julian... We're sorry about freedom fries :( Honest it wasn't my idea!

Yeah really guys. Move if you want, but wherever you go you're going to find problems there. Which means you're going to whine about wherever you move. Which means you may as well at least do your whining in a nation that likes whining, and the U.S. is one of your better options there.

and get on irc scuba!11

Scuba Steve said:

Free Education? Is Higher Education Free in Iceland? If not, then America has the same free education called public Schools. Agreed, Tuition prices are soaring, placing the burden on students backs... so make the most out of it.

Um, there are actualy several countries that have free colleges. I wouldn't doubt that Iceland is one of them.

the_Danarchist said:

Heh...Iceland. Iceland is cool. They have Bjork and volcanoes and Vikings and stuff.

actually, it doesn't have vikings... it was just settled by norwegians and the celts in the 9th and 10th centuries. i'd love to visit there though. apparently icelandic is very similar to the original norse (moreso than norwegian, swedish, or danish).

Linguica said:

please leave as soon as possible

Only if you join me, sweetheart. :P

Scuba Steve said:

job... I think you need to seriously re-evalutae your situation. I'll be the first to point out problems we have here in America, but do you honestly think that there is a magical utpoia called Iceland that is actually the greatest place to ever exist? Iceland will have many of the same problems and even some of their own. Materialism? This is a large part of any industrialized western nation today. Money grubbing? There are money grubbing people EVYERWHERE! Moving to another nation will NOT stop this, Iceland isn't a magical valhalla where everyone is hnost and good (well.. that I know of). Free Education? Is Higher Education Free in Iceland? If not, then America has the same free education called public Schools. Agreed, Tuition prices are soaring, placing the burden on students backs... so make the most out of it.

My point here Job, the "I'm moving away" ideology is the "Quick Fix" to your problem. If you are truly upset with America... don't abandon it, try to change it. Get involved with civil rights movements, go to war protests... heck run for office when you're able. Dispite the rollback of freedoms recently, it's still possible to turn your country around. Starting now...

...Julian... We're sorry about freedom fries :( Honest it wasn't my idea!

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes I get massively frustrated with the system as it operates -- it's kind of passive aggressive. Not deliberately or directly antagonistic to people, but indirectly in a subtle sort of way. But yeah, it is the cowardly way to deal with the situation I admit. (however, from what I understand, Iceland has free public post-secondary education as well as free medical care...all in exchange for higher taxes)

And Julian, sorry about the Freedom kisses, Freedom dip sandwiches, Freedom silk pie and so on.

the_Danarchist said:

Um, there are actualy several countries that have free colleges.

Indeed. In some parts of the world, we are able to take the right to free education for granted :P