Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

Recommended mp3.com downloads before CNet ends it.

well that's just ghey. mp3.com actually had some decent stuff to listen to now and then...

Quast said:

What the shit? ow, my friggin ears...

Haha, Stinkpants. Good times.

That reminds me. Napster sucks. Napster's purpose is essentially defeated now. Just to avoid some stupid lawsuits, jailtime, et al.

You know it's funny, but the first mp3 I ever heard was a Blind Guardian song ("Mirror mirror") that I got from mp3.com. No joke. :o

Little Faith said:

Lesson of the day: "If you wan't people to have access to your stuff HOST IT YOURSELF!"

mp3.com was a great service when it was running. Sure, hosting your own stuff might stop it being deleted but it won't help get your band noticed on a prominent service.

Your on to something Jon. I find that charging fees kinda defeats Mp3.com's purpose.

As I see it Mp3.com's purpose was to allow smaller acts some much needed publicity creating a forum where music samples, band info and buying links are conveniently packaged with a search feature to boot.

Now, charging a fee for such a service is akin of charging a toll at those sample booths in supermarkets offering taste samples of various new food products. A completely absurd notion!

Secondly I doubt Mp3.com (or their owners) pay the content providers (the musicians) anything. More likely they have to pay for their spot there. It is true that they provide servers and that such a venture can be costly, but still I think selling a product that you have recieved for free seems a bit.. odd.

In any way the service rendered to the musicians (generating attention) is severely compromised by putting up an economic barrier between them and the potential listeners.

Someone heard of iTunes and realized that that's the next Big Thing. Which means you'll probably find music by Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera on mp3.com in a few months.

Blind Guardian? Oh yes, Blind Guardian are a great band, however I haven't heard enough of their stuff to have a solid opinion, which I should correct, However, the Guitarist of a band I do listen to called Iced Earth and the lead singer of Blind Guardian. John Schaffer and Hansi Kursch respectively, teamed up for a side project called Demons & Wizards. See if you can find something from them, I recommend: The Whistler, Poor Man's Crusade or Path of Glory. It's amazing stuff.

Then do not refrain from going here while MP3.com lets you freely.

I was attracted to Metal years ago and as I listened to many bands and styles and I eventually noted it was a gerne made to lead up to what later became Gothic/Doom Metal... Looking back I realize that even before it existed I was waiting for the gerne to produce stuff in that direction.

Like when I started listening to bands with growling/shrieking voices I noted that the best potential for such a device is not brutality or aggression but the strangeness of a voice that is both a whisper and a scream and yet neither; add to that some classical influence and vibrant slower themes and you can get something really beautiful and powerful.

Inkubus Sukkubus sounds like dark pop music, doesn't it?

Hey, Myk. I gave draconian a sample and damn if it isn't good stuff, and the really odd thing is I wouldn't really call my taste in music "Doomy" obviously I'm a bigger "doomer" than I thought (sorry :D). I'm listening to: A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal now, and I think it's a cross between Iced Earth/Avantasia. Has Iced Earth heavyness and the melody of Avantasia. Death, Come near me is also a nice and long song too :D, I love 15 minute songs, they take an extra little bit to take on and work so well if it succeeds :D

I'm not sure if you've heard of Avantasia and I unfortunately can't remember any links to it. A german writer/singer named Tobias Sammet wrote it, he's the singer of a band called Edguy. He got the idea to write a metal opera, and the resulting project got support from guys like Eric Singer(Kiss), Timmo Tolki(Stratovarius), and someone from Helloween, as well as several other numerous supporting artists. It's not doom (atleast I wouldn't call it that), but it does have a melodic "epic" feel to it. Give it a try.

Also, anyone here a Dream Theater addict? Such a great band, so much talent it's criminal the way that they change styles every album and still sound great every time :D (Progressive Metal)

I should also add, that when it comes to metal, I'm noticing a disturbing trend to make it big, you either have to have whining singing to decent music or horrific screeching while smashing against instruments. I'm not mentioning any specific names, but when I try to listen to the radio. Particulary a station called Triple J, but all the music seems to be those types of music. Now, I've never considered my music style to be "underground" or even remotely "out there" but it just slowly seems to me that in the world of metal you no longer need to sing normally. I may be a metalhead yet I can still appreciate and indeed prefer singing over screeching/growling although there is a form of screeching/growling that I do like and basically that's when it is used in a minor way or as background vocals instead of dominating. Is normal singing dissapearing or am I just insane?