Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gherkin

Everything that has a beginning has an end. But the time alive may depend....

Doom Connector is currently at a crossroads and will most likely die soon. The server for our well known multiplayer service is going down and there is nothing we can do to prevent that. The alternatives are daunting financially, and in keeping with the spirit of this enterprise, we are not asking for funding or dues from any Doom faithfuls. With the 250-300 unique regulars from all over the world and ofcourse the usual bunch of new people, it is a relatively big asset to Doom's multiplayer and im sorry if it has to end this way.

Although not all of the following people are still Doom Connector staff, id like to thank them in particular for their help and effort put in this service: Mr.Rocket, Dagger, Doom Rampage, Foxxy, Mr Chris, Ratchetjaw and ofcourse Joen for a good 2 year hosting of this service for free.

If there is anyone out there who thinks he can help us out with a server machine, we'd like to hear from you! The server requirements are HERE, please send an email to jandafox@ceinetworks.com. Thanks in advance.

Shit, this is not good :(

How much uptime before the expected shutdown? (before another server comes up)

I will miss DC once it goes down.

This should be stickied/front page news until the server changes or goes down.

The reason is because Joen's hosting company went bankrupt :-/

My friend dan schmolze just got back to me with these words: "They need to make it a distrubted system"

I don't know what that means, but he's the man, and if he says it, then it's worth paying attention to.

Chesterules: so what is a "distrubted system"?
Chesterules: do you think DC has a prayer?
Chesterules: is it hard to do a distrubted sytem or to find someone else to host?
schmolze: well, it's a networking system that doesn't require a central server
schmolze: like Kazaa
Chesterules: right
Chesterules: how does one go about that
schmolze: it's not easy
schmolze: but there's a lot of literature about it these days
schmolze: you'd need to write a whole new system, definitely
Chesterules: I see, so basically DC is sunk
schmolze: have you checked out Beksinski's website?

rewrite it all so it can magically detect users who run a server on their own machine. difficult without a central node but "peer to peer" IS the new buzzword intown... otherwise surely all one has to do is be on an IRC channel and tell peops your current IP address (if yours is dynamic) for peops to connect to... some sort of connector/irc autolisting combo would do it

This is indeed a bad thing, but I think all the people on DC are taking it WAAAAAAYYY too seriously, as if:

-The apocalypse is coming
-They have some bad dissease and are about to die
-They can't live without DC
-They are going to kill themselves without DC being around

AgentSpork said:

This is indeed a bad thing, but I think all the people on DC are taking it WAAAAAAYYY too seriously, as if:

so fucking true man, so true.

Spork: Amen to that.

Personally, I think it wouldn't be that hard to find a decent server. I wouldn't know, of course; that's just a slightly educated guess. I heard it would finally go down Tuesday, maybe Wednesday, is that true?

I and my clan are currently trying to figure out alternate ways to meet and play. There are the ZDaemon and Skulltag servers, but for some of us, unable to use high-speed connections (in my case, my cable company is evil), that just isn't gonna happen. We've been using Legacy on DC for a while now. We tried making a dedicated room on DC, then I tried to join it directly through Legacy... it would always stop at "sending join request." What causes this?

...licks the back of this thread and sticks it on the wall for a while...

Yes thats true Spork, I seen some of those whiners too. Still though, there going to be that gaping hole in multiplayer community where DC is used to be. I hope we find a new home for the server soon.

AgentSpork said:

Heh, sounds like die-hard DC players (ala hardcore CS players are similar).

I can live without DC. I hope a new server is found soon.

Unless a new host is found, DC only has 48 to 72 hours left in it's life now. Enjoy DC while it's still up.

:-(

The server is temporarely running on an ADSL line (thank you Joen!) We are not sure the IP will be static, so a downtime may occur, but its just a temporary solution. We are still looking for a new server! This goes down march 1.

What!? Cool! So there doesn't have to be any emergency planning I have to do yet. I haven't been able to check except last night, when I got a popup message saying it was down. Until Sunday I'm at relatives, with only my laptop having DC (and it's hard to get it online)...