Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Domain Name question...

I think you'd have to look around on Geocities about how to do that.

And if you're serious enough to buy a domain name, you should be serious enough to not use something like Geocities.

You need to use 'URL forwarding' to get browsers redirected to your geoshities url when your domain name is used. Many registrars provide this as a free service, but some do charge a nominal annual fee. Talk to your registrars about this.

If you get 'proper' webspace this will be handled differently. But for geocities, URL forwarding is, I expect, the best you can hope for.

insertwackynamehere said:

There's nothing I can do?

Look this kind of info up before you pay for something :P

You could change your registrar. Find one that offers free URL forwarding, transfer to them. This can be a pain in the arse process sometimes and you'll undoubtedly have to register you domain for an additional year or five (?).

Or get some proper webspace. This will cost you money, but there are some good deals out there if you look for them. Then you just need to get the DNS entries, and such, changed.

Find someone with a DNS server and a webserver who is willing to set up a redirect for you, and then set your domain to use their DNS server.

You could transfer to these people http://www.cleverdot.com/. I only had a quick glance at their details, but it looks like it'll only cost you $7.77 and they offer free URL forwarding and some good hosting options too (Starter Hosting Plan $24.95/year - should you want hosting).

There are probably even better deals out there, but you'll have to look for yourself.

you paid $35 a year for a dot com? Dude you can get those for like $15 or less

Cyb said:

you paid $35 a year for a dot com? Dude you can get those for like $15 or less

yea i saw one for that price. but still not sure if it will have the features i want and need

You could sign up for 1&1's professional package free for 3 years and transfer your domain to them. I think they only charge less than 10 bucks a year for a .com domain name.

How does URL forwarding work? I'd think the best way would be a http redirect, but most of them say they preserve the domain name in the address bar. Are they using HTML frames or something?