Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peter Heinemann

Hail! bright Cecilia! (to the musicians here)

It´s still 22th of November, so it´s the Day of Cecily, who was a martyred Roman virgin and became the patron saint of music.

So it´s a feast for every musician ^_^

Well, I planned on encoding one of Henry Purcell´s (1659-1995) St. Cecilia´s Day odes to mp3 and linking to them, but I guess Mordeth would not love music warez on Doomworld much, .... and Freewebz accounts are limited to 750k upload size during the first 7 days after registering.

Anyway, this keeps me acting legally, but I still have the booklets here in front of me, so please take my recommendations for great English baroque music:

Henry Purcell: "Welcome to all the pleasures", Ode for St. Cecilia´s day, 1683
- Purcell: Odes", The English Concert and Choir, Trevor Pinnock, Label: Deutsche Grammophon
- Purcell: Royal and Ceremonial Odes" The King´s Concert, Robert King, Label: Hyperion Records

Henry Purcell: "Hail!bright Cecilia", Ode for St. Cecilia´s day, 1692
- "Purcell: ""Hail!bright Cecilia" The King´s Concert, Robert King, Label: Hyperion Records

Henry Purcell: "Laudate Ciciliam", Ode for St. Cecilia´s day, 1683
- "Purcell: "Complete Odes an Welcome Songs, Vol. 6" The King´s Concert, Robert King, Label: Hyperion Records

Henry Purcell: "Raise, raise the voice", Ode for St. Cecilia´s day, 1684
- "Purcell: "Complete Odes an Welcome Songs, Vol. 6" The King´s Concert, Robert King, Label: Hyperion Records

Purcel wrote 24 Odes and Welcomes (music to welcome reigns on their return form journeys or to celebrate other ceremonial events like weddings) and the St. Cecilia´s Day ode was one returning theme in his music.

Great music in my opinion and certainly your town library will have some of it, so no need to risk money on it for the unlikely case you don´t like it ^_^

"Welcome to all the pleasures that delight
Of ev´ry sense the grateful appetite!
Hail, great assembly of Apollo´s race!
Hail to this happy place,
This music assembly, that seems to be
The ark of universal harmony"