Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sharessa

A serious discussion about a certain movie

A couple years ago, my friend handed me a book by Michael Crichton with a certain title. It was a very interesting book and it was great because Crichton really knows his shit about quantum physics. Eventualy, the novel turned me on to his works.

Well recently, i saw an ad for a movie of this partiular novel on TV. I was wondering if it would be as good as the novel. For one, I think they might have to dumb it down a bit. In the novel, they talked about a lot of quantum physics stuff that even I barely understood. Also, I hope they picked good actors and a good director. How many Crichton novels have been made into shitty movies? I hope this certain movie is an exception. So what do you all think of this upcoming movie? If you read this particular the novel, do you think a movie could do it justice?

I bet they're going to fuck up royally with the languages discrepancies (occitan if I remember correctly).

I thought the book was terrible and I have no plans to see the movie. As with all his books, Crichton grabs onto a thread of scientific truth and from it extrapolates a whole universe of retardedness mostly based on his inability to create gripping characters and his ever increasing need to rely on pseudoscience as a crutch to his boring plotlines. Oh yeah, and his constant barrage of warnings that science is dangerous! We must be careful or our creations will destroy us! Etc.

A serious discussion???

1. It involves The_Danarchist
2. It is posted in the DW misc forum.
3. Ravage has already replied.

What the hell are you thinking!?!

Little Faith said:

A serious discussion???

roflmao

Linguica said:

I thought the book was terrible and I have no plans to see the movie. As with all his books, Crichton grabs onto a thread of scientific truth and from it extrapolates a whole universe of retardedness mostly based on his inability to create gripping characters and his ever increasing need to rely on pseudoscience as a crutch to his boring plotlines. Oh yeah, and his constant barrage of warnings that science is dangerous! We must be careful or our creations will destroy us! Etc.

I'd have to agree there. Some of his books/movies were fun, but ... eh.

what novel are you talking about?! I CAN'T COMMENT ON IT IF YOU DON'T SAY THE TITLE OF THIS BOOK YOU REALLY LIKED!!

Yay, I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON . I mean Timeline.

Time-line wasn't one of my favorite Crichton novels, but it wasn't bad. I'm afraid the movie will be turned into a lame action-fest, though :/

lol I read that book... I was very surprised when all of the sudden I found out about the movie. Also, I fail it, because I just now, after reading the title a while ago, figured out why it was so cryptic. Anyways, I don't know how I feel about it. The book read like a movie to me, so I just assumed from the beginning that they would do this. As for how good it'll be, I think it'll be as good as the book. What that means depends on how much you liked the book, though. I don't really remember it enough, except that I thought at the time it was Jurassic Park with Middle Ages people.

I'll let this thread live on the assumption that you did actually want to discuss this book/movie, rather than have a "timeline --> I AM A MORON lolz!" session. Call me cynical, but I have my doubts about that.

I haven't read the Timeline book or seen the film, but I felt that the Jurassic Park book was excellent, and while the film was fun, it was unable to carry the "real" meaning that the book did. Perhaps that's just a general problem with the type of books that Crichton writes. I see where Ling is coming from with his post though.

i liked the book, ling pointed out a few of the most retarded sections and i agreed with him but overall i found it a fun read. i want to see the movie.

Little Faith said:

A serious discussion???

Heh. This thread has a two-fold reason.

On topic though, I agree with what mewse said. Though when you look at his books on the whole, they are a bit cheesy as Ling said, but they are great fun to read.

Linguica said:

Word.

Stephen Baxter writes better SF and knows a LOT more about quantum physics, anyway.