Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LastManStanding

Hello everyone, I'm new here!

Hello everyone. As you may have guessed, i'm new here. Here's a little info on my DOOM History:

Im an avid Doom fan after discovering it again all these years later, and lots has changed since 1996, just look!.Doom ports, better all-round everything with the release of the source, things just keep getting better and better for us Doom fans!

Why did I come here? I came here looking for a way to improve my DOOM experience. I tried Legacy, but it refuses to work for me, so now im trying ZDoomGL. Simple, huh? I also have a few questions. Sorry for not searching, but it's 10:30 at night and i'm a little aggravated.
(Hey, 'least I have the guts to admit it, lol):

1. Where can I get a FULL Version of Doom 2 (newest version, think
its somthing like 1.999, not entirely sure) NOTE: Already d/l'd
one. Its a full version, but not sure its official since it comes
with loads of other files.

2. Why does Doom (1) refuse to run on my PC, but Doom 2 runs fine?

3. What do I need to use ZDoomGL? (Ideal Specs)

Thanks for taking the time to read this N00b Post,
LastManStanding.

It is not official, it is warez if d/l'd (unless if payed for and gotten from id Software or Activisions site). However, you can try searching around for it on Amazon and such. Also, Doom 1 may not be working, because it's not the newest version.

To enhance your Doomage, all you need is either the Doom, or Doom2.wad file to play either game. Install ZDoom or ZDoomGL and put your main .wads in there and then just run ZDoom or ZDoomGL.exe instead of Doom.exe.

Remember to root around in the options to change your controls and video settings.

there the ultimate doom pack, the Doom 95 port on kazaa. just download that and take the 4 .wad's out of it. and there you go

Hmm, this is getting dangerously close to discussing warez :(

Shareware Doom works fine with ZDoomGL. You would be able to grab the demo off of id's site if they weren't reworking the download pages, but it's widely available on the net. Here's a direct link to the download on FileShack.com: http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=138 (you'll need to register an account there to download it, though). All you need from the package is doom1.wad, so just copy that to your ZDoom(GL) directory and you should be good to go!

As for the ideal specs for ZDoomGL, a Geforce2 class video card or higher is recommended along with a 1GHz or faster CPU with 256MB of RAM. I'm really just pulling those specs out of my ass, but that should run most maps nicely ;)

Any OpenGL capable card is capable of running ZDoomGL. The nice thing about OpenGL is that it does not rely on hardware. It relies on proper driver implementation of the OpenGL specs, then that driver can then do anything it can in hardware, or fall back to a software solution if your card's not capable of it. Doom 3 will supposedly run on a Radeon 7000/GeForce1 with a 1GHz CPU. Just as long as the video card driver can do everything it's asked(which the OpenGL specs require), and your CPU can back it up when the video hardware is inept, you're alright. :)

EDIT:
As for everything being green.. I get a green tinge on everything when the default/crappy Microshaft OpenGL 1.1 driver is used. When ZDoomGL loads up, it should say what diver it's using (if it says Microsoft, then you ID'd the problem). Make sure you have the latest video drivers for your card, too.

Yeah, a TNT2 should run it without any problems. Not sure what kind of framerates you're gonna get, though ;)

That did it - I was using the default Winblows drivers.

Ok, Finally got my GL Doomage! Great job, Timmie! Got a couple of questions:

1. Are you planning on 16bit color?

2. I've got a 1.6gig proc with the afore mentioned TNT2. All video modes look great with a couple exceptions. Don't know if anyone else has these. First, I notice little sparkles - you know, from the seams of textures comming together. And I've noticed it's not just EVERYWHERE, just certain places. This happens on custom maps as well as Doom originals.

Plus, I've got this map where I'm using raised floor heights for buildings. If I fire at the wall behind the "building" and then go to the other side of the building and look back at the wall - you can see the decal of the gun blast on the wall. It's like you're looking THROUGH the raised floor, but only the decal is visible.

Plus, I've noticed that when I fall or make any sudden movements like that when I'm using the chasecam, the player's skin isn't smooth at all. This could easily be my card though, I guess. It does it at all video modes.

I also wanted to ask about the lighting. ZDoomGL seems to almost add default lighting effects to the map - like, it's bright around where you are, but on a map with lots of open space, the farther out from your vision, the darker the lighting is. Is this a default technique that you added to enhance Doom maps specifically?

Galaxy_Stranger said:

I also wanted to ask about the lighting. ZDoomGL seems to almost add default lighting effects to the map - like, it's bright around where you are, but on a map with lots of open space, the farther out from your vision, the darker the lighting is. Is this a default technique that you added to enhance Doom maps specifically?

This fogging is the way it was in the original Doom. You can probably turn it off with a console command, but it's most likely best to keep it on so maps look more like how they are intended to.